    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Mr Scebe

    Ian Boag Guest

    The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)

    Ian Boag, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Mr Scebe

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    > The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    > link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    > never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    > Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)

    Don't know, but i managed to get the video working - i set it to T1 on WMP
    and manually set the cache to 5 sec. Now it's running faster than whitey at
    lunchtime in a South Auckland school.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 13, 2004
  4. "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    > The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    > link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    > never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    > Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)
    >

    > "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
    >>good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
    >>audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it
    >>56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
    >>normal?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mr Scebe
    >>Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
    >>Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
    >>~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
    connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
    exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
    physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
    (at least under my limited understanding of double speak).
    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Mr Scebe

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:25:56 +1300, Jed Meisterdude wrote:

    > "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    >> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    >> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    >> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)
    >>

    >> "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
    >>>good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
    >>>audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it
    >>>56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
    >>>normal?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Mr Scebe
    >>>Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
    >>>Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
    >>>~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    >>>

    > If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
    > connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
    > exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
    > physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
    > (at least under my limited understanding of double speak).

    Even if they do commit 2mbit to it, will it still be 2mbit at times of peak
    usage/ when more people upgrade.
    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Mr Scebe wrote:
    > Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
    > good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
    > audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it to
    > 56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
    > normal?

    they work fine for me on 256k UBS with Orcon, 256-1Mb wireless with
    Synaptic, and whatever connection we have here at work.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Ian Boag wrote:
    > The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    > link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    > never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    > Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)

    it'll pobably be something like 10:1 or 8:1
    maybe even 6:1 if they want to show how good it is.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Mr Scebe

    Mark S Guest

    IIRC isn't the Telecoms ADSL "standard" the commit to something like no
    guarantees on latency, packet loss, and guaranteed service level of 14kbps?

    Smoke and mirrors.

    Mark S, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Mr Scebe

    Toxickiwi Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:49:35 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:25:56 +1300, Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    >
    >> "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >>> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
    >>> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
    >>> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
    >>> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots :)

    >> If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
    >> connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
    >> exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
    >> physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
    >> (at least under my limited understanding of double speak).

    >Even if they do commit 2mbit to it, will it still be 2mbit at times of peak
    >usage/ when more people upgrade.

    I would suggest you move to Wellington or ChCh and switch to Telstra
    Cable, I have the 10Mbit plan and can get very close to it (about
    9Mbit) off one of the servers I use in the States, the only problem
    with that is in about 4 hours you can use you monthly 10Gb cap ;) To
    get max download speed try using a program call Reget.
    Toxickiwi, Nov 15, 2004