    In other words, is it possible Cisco has been waiting for official
    ratification of the "n" standard before unleashing software upgrades
    that enable "n" this on its current products ?
    JF Mezei, Sep 19, 2009

  2. JF Mezei

    alexd Guest

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > I recently bought a 877 router. It has up to 802.11g standard.
    >
    > With the "n" standard having now been ratified, I am curious if it is
    > technically possible for Cisco to enable the "n" service on existing
    > equipment with just firmware upgrades ?

    The last 877W I opened up had an AR5213-based MiniPCI wifi card in, so could
    have supported A/B/G should Cisco have chosen to enable it, however it's B/G
    only. I'm going to extrapolate from this that they're not going to add 'N'
    [which seems to be such a broad term as to be pretty much meaningless] to
    products that don't already support it. 'show controller do0' should tell
    you what chipset you have.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:24:36 up 21 days, 12:16, 2 users, load average: 0.51, 1.04, 0.66
    alexd, Sep 19, 2009

  3. JF Mezei

    Uli Link Guest

    JF Mezei schrieb:
    > I recently bought a 877 router. It has up to 802.11g standard.
    >
    > With the "n" standard having now been ratified, I am curious if it is
    > technically possible for Cisco to enable the "n" service on existing
    > equipment with just firmware upgrades ? Or does that require truly
    > different hardware and frequencies that would not be available on
    > equipment Cisco has been selling in recent months ?
    >
    > In other words, is it possible Cisco has been waiting for official
    > ratification of the "n" standard before unleashing software upgrades
    > that enable "n" this on its current products ?

    No. the Atheros radio used doesn't support the additional 802.11n
    features. For the throughput enhancements of 802.11n there is a lot of
    additional hardware needed.

    the Aironet 1250 and new 1140 APs are 802.11n capable.

    --
    ULi
    Uli Link, Sep 19, 2009
  4. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    alexd wrote:

    > [which seems to be such a broad term as to be pretty much meaningless] to
    > products that don't already support it. 'show controller do0' should tell
    > you what chipset you have.

    router2#show controller do0
    !
    interface Dot11Radio0
    Radio ATHEROS AR5212, Base Address 0025.8462.45d0, BBlock version 0.01,
    Softwar0

    So, As "Uli Link" said in another message, it looks like I am out of
    luck. At least I know not to expect it.

    But, since I now know the name of the chip...

    http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5002X.htm

    Supported Data Rates
    IEEE 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g Standard Mode 1-54 Mbps
    Atheros Super A Mode
    Atheros Super G Mode
    Atheros Super A/G Mode 1 - 108 Mbps

    Some blurb on the "super" mode:

    • Super A/G mode includes dynamic 108 Mbps capability, real-time
    hardware data compression, dynamic transmit optimization and
    standards-compliant bursting

    I wonder if this could have been an early implementation of the "n" ?
    Atheros now has the 5008 series chips which do formally support "n".
    JF Mezei, Sep 20, 2009
  5. On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:11:56 -0400, JF Mezei
    <> wrote:

    >Supported Data Rates
    >IEEE 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g Standard Mode 1-54 Mbps
    >Atheros Super A Mode
    >Atheros Super G Mode
    >Atheros Super A/G Mode 1 - 108 Mbps
    >

    >Some blurb on the "super" mode:
    >
    >• Super A/G mode includes dynamic 108 Mbps capability, real-time
    > hardware data compression, dynamic transmit optimization and
    > standards-compliant bursting
    >
    >I wonder if this could have been an early implementation of the "n" ?
    >Atheros now has the 5008 series chips which do formally support "n".

    When you see A/G 108 Mbps, that simply means that (with compatible kit on
    the other side) the product will be able to use a and g (which run at
    different frequencies) simultaneously, loadbalancing across the two, and
    getting up to 54 Mb on 5GHz .11a plus up to 54 Mb on 2.4 GHz .11g.

    The super-a and super-g modes probably include all the features they
    mention above, data compression and transit optimization and bursting, for
    whatever that's worth in real life. HTML may actually be very slightly
    compressible, so it may even have some effect for particular types of
    usage.

    11n really is a very different kettle of fish, although it does run on
    both frequencies and the bundling of a and b frequencies is supported in
    the spec if both products support both frequencies -- many n products only
    use one, and you can usually tell by whether they are b/g/n or a/b/g/n
    products.

    Jasper
    Jasper Janssen, Nov 18, 2009