    or Snow White?

    Thank you in advance,

    Rob
    ClockXXI, Sep 12, 2003

  2. ClockXXI

    Mark McGee Guest

    It seems to me that "Sleeping Beauty" is a special edition just like
    "Beauty" and "Snow White". It's two DVDs with the second DVD full of all
    kinds of extras. I don't think anything better could come along.

    "ClockXXI" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Does anybody know if the recent Disney release of Sleeping Beauty will be
    > available for a limited time only? And also: is there another - better -
    > release in the works? Something along the lines of Platinum Beauty & the

    Beast

    Mark McGee, Sep 12, 2003

  3. Mark McGee wrote:

    >>Does anybody know if the recent Disney release of Sleeping Beauty will be
    >>available for a limited time only? And also: is there another - better -
    >>release in the works? Something along the lines of Platinum Beauty & the
    >> Beast or Snow White?

    > It seems to me that "Sleeping Beauty" is a special edition just like
    > "Beauty" and "Snow White". It's two DVDs with the second DVD full of all
    > kinds of extras. I don't think anything better could come along.

    No, just like most old-school Disney DVD fans, he's running out of
    things to be paranoid about... ;)

    Only the *announced* Platinums (ie. Lion King) are limited-release--
    SB qualifies as one of the "unofficial" Platinums, and keep the same
    schedules as the Golds.

    (Only if they pull it, THEN can you expect a bigger release later on.)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Sep 12, 2003
  4. ClockXXI

    AceoHearts Guest

    Knowing Disney this is it for a while. Probably near the end of the year or
    so they will start airing commercials saying that it is going on moritorium.
    They love to release things then have them disappear for 10 years or so.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Sep 12, 2003
  5. ClockXXI

    ddmcd Guest

    By taking things out of circulation they hinder the indoctrination of
    the younger generation into The Disney Way. This is one of the reasons
    that Disney is no longer the force it once was, and why Pixar is so
    important to them. Can you imaging taking TOY STORY out of circulation
    for ten years under some misguided attempt to increase its value thru
    forced scarcity?

    ddmcd, Sep 12, 2003
  6. ClockXXI

    Jay G Guest

    "ClockXXI" <> wrote ...
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Does anybody know if the recent Disney release of Sleeping Beauty will be
    > available for a limited time only?

    There is a big sticker on the DVD case saying "available for
    a limited time only," so yes it is. How limited it is, I don't know.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Sep 13, 2003
  7. Um...

    The Toy Storys are out of circulation. I don't know if it's for 10 years
    but there are no more being made. They even had a commercial saying
    that.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Sep 13, 2003
  8. ClockXXI

    ddmcd Guest

    That's incredible. By doing that they make it easier for rivals and
    alternate entertainment brands to claim eyeball time of younger kids.
    What could the be thinking?

    ddmcd, Sep 13, 2003
  9. ClockXXI

    AceoHearts Guest

    Disney does this so that they can re-introduce the movie. Usually the
    movies are on moratorium for 10 years before they are released again. That
    way they can introduce it to each new generation. Plus is does tend to
    drive up the prices. They no longer make the movie, but they don't get rid
    of any stock that is laying around. So even after a movie is sent back to
    the vault it is possable to find it at a retailer who bought a lot of
    copies.

    AceoHearts
    AceoHearts, Sep 13, 2003
  10. ClockXXI

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <XKG8b.2813$>, ddmcd
    <> wrote:

    > That's incredible. By doing that they make it easier for rivals and
    > alternate entertainment brands to claim eyeball time of younger kids.
    > What could the be thinking?

    They're thinking the same way they did in the 50s and 60s, long before the
    advent of video, when they would do a theatrical re-release of animation
    classics like Fantasia or Snow White every seven years, accompanied by much
    press ballyhoo and healthy ticket sales, primarily to families eager to
    induct a new generation of kids into the Disney cult. In trying to hold to
    the "scheduled re-release" concept with first, video, then, LD, and now DVD
    releases, they're demonstrating once again that they simply don't understand
    A)the new realities of the marketplace; B)their audience, C)how to build new
    audiences. The entertainment software marketplace has changed immeasurably
    since those long-ago days, and titles that audiences would once wait
    patiently for for seven years now have a viable shelf life that can be
    measured in weeks. Disney's product now faces powerful competition on
    multiple fronts. Everything's moving faster now, and as several people have
    pointed out in this thread, it's small wonder the studio has been running
    into trouble lately, because it's clear that on some fundamental level, they
    still don't understand the implications of all these changes. For evidence
    we need look no further than to the Donald Duck "Disney Treasures" release
    they have planned for this fall. This will be, unbelievably, the first
    attempt at releasing a near-comprehensive-- or at least representative--
    survey of Duck material they've ever done, and the first Duck packages
    they've released at all since a handful of videotape releases back in the
    early and mid-80s. And the Duck was, for decades, their single most popular
    character. The Mouse may be the figurehead, but in terms of mass on-screen
    popularity, the Duck started kicking his furry ass soon after his first
    appearance in 1934. But in the home-video marketplace, until recently
    neither hugely popular character has been properly represented in its
    original format.

    Disney is a company that seemingly no longer knows how to play to its
    strengths. This is, one could say, the price of arrogance, stemming from
    decades of unassailable dominance in the family-entertainment field, a
    dominance that is now looking more and more tenuous. Certainly this is an
    example of just how bafflingly out of touch even a massive entertainment
    conglomerate can be. And unless they move quickly to start changing this
    situation very soon,it may cost them dearly.

    G. M. Watson, Sep 13, 2003
  11. ClockXXI

    ddmcd Guest

    >They're thinking the same way they did in the 50s and 60s, long before the
    >advent of video, when they would do a theatrical re-release of animation
    >classics like Fantasia or Snow White every seven years, accompanied by much
    >press ballyhoo and healthy ticket sales, primarily to families eager to
    >induct a new generation of kids into the Disney cult.

    <<snip other well thought out and well expressed ideas>>

    There's another angle that I haven't heard mentioned yet - that is that
    the Disney company is well aware that their classic treasures simply do
    not hold up well over time and that major characters like Mickey and
    Donald simply cannot compete with the likes of today's animated heros
    that are on constant public display or with today's interactive media.
    By "hiding" thei rproduct they don't have to compete in the trenches.

    Besides, could you ever understand everything the Duck said?

    Personally, my favorite was Goofy.
    ddmcd, Sep 13, 2003
  12. In news:JfL8b.17091$,
    ddmcd <> said in a panic:
    > Personally, my favorite was Goofy.

    Forget all that and give me.. Tigger. :)

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Sep 13, 2003
  13. ClockXXI

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <XKG8b.2813$>, ddmcd
    <> wrote:
    > Michael Rogers wrote:
    > >Um...
    > >
    > >The Toy Storys are out of circulation. I don't know if it's for 10 years
    > >but there are no more being made. They even had a commercial saying
    > >that.

    > That's incredible. By doing that they make it easier for rivals and
    > alternate entertainment brands to claim eyeball time of younger kids.
    > What could the be thinking?

    The same thing almost all publishers think. Books go out of print all
    the time. They print enough to satisfy demand, then when sales fall
    down to almost zero they just let what's left in the warehouse sell out
    and wait until there's enough demand to justify printing more.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Sep 14, 2003
  14. ClockXXI

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in alt.video.dvd, G.
    M. Watson <> wrote:
    >They're thinking the same way they did in the 50s and 60s, long before the
    >advent of video, when they would do a theatrical re-release of animation
    >classics like Fantasia or Snow White every seven years, accompanied by much
    >press ballyhoo and healthy ticket sales, primarily to families eager to
    >induct a new generation of kids into the Disney cult. In trying to hold to
    >the "scheduled re-release" concept with first, video, then, LD, and now DVD
    >releases, they're demonstrating once again that they simply don't understand
    >A)the new realities of the marketplace; B)their audience, C)how to build new
    >audiences.

    Frankly, I think it's more sinister than that. I think it's highly
    significant that Disney is in on the trial of the 48-hour DVDs. If
    they can push those on the market, they _will_ be able to make good
    on their schedule of releasing the major films every few years and
    letting them go out of print between times.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Sep 14, 2003
  15. ClockXXI

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <JfL8b.17091$>, ddmcd
    <> wrote:

    >>They're thinking the same way they did in the 50s and 60s, long before the
    >>advent of video, when they would do a theatrical re-release of animation
    >>classics like Fantasia or Snow White every seven years, accompanied by much
    >>press ballyhoo and healthy ticket sales, primarily to families eager to
    >>induct a new generation of kids into the Disney cult.
    >>

    > <<snip other well thought out and well expressed ideas>>
    >
    > There's another angle that I haven't heard mentioned yet - that is that
    > the Disney company is well aware that their classic treasures simply do
    > not hold up well over time and that major characters like Mickey and
    > Donald simply cannot compete with the likes of today's animated heros
    > that are on constant public display or with today's interactive media.
    > By "hiding" thei rproduct they don't have to compete in the trenches.
    >
    > Besides, could you ever understand everything the Duck said?
    >
    > Personally, my favorite was Goofy.

    I have no choice but to worship at the altar of the Duck-- he epitomizes my
    own inner (and sometimes outer) nature, more accurately, perhaps, than
    almost any other character in cinema history. Certainly more than that wimpy
    nice-guy Mouse, (who was a probably a closet Republican anyway). Like, I
    *relate*, y'know??? As for the Duck's mode of speech, well-- as any Usenet
    regular knows all too well, some thoughts and feelings simply can't be
    properly expressed in mere words, intelligible or otherwise.

    G. M. Watson, Sep 14, 2003
  16. What country are you in ? I am in UK and I have Snow White on DVD - it was
    released here some time ago and I thought it was available in the US too.
    DUNCAN MARK MILTON-HEAD, Sep 14, 2003
  17. ClockXXI <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know if the recent Disney release of Sleeping Beauty will be
    > available for a limited time only?

    Apparently so, according to DavisDVD's news page for today...

    "And finally, look for the following 'Disappearing Classics' to go into
    moratorium on December 30th:...the new Sleeping Beauty: SE. So get 'em
    while you can."

    --<http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm>

    HTH,

    doug

    --

    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    Douglas Bailey, Sep 16, 2003