    seems to have a different agenda. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    --
    Terry Halligan
    Terry Halligan, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Terry Halligan

    Max Power Guest

    Re: Is Skype The Cheapest International Internet Voice TelephonyService??

    Terry Halligan wrote:
    > There doesn't appear to be a FAQ for this group. We have been using
    > Skype to contact my wife's relations in Bogota, Colombia and Denver, USA
    > , New York, USA together. Also more infrequently New Mexico and St
    > Louis, Missouri. Reading messages in this group, one gets the impression
    > that Skype, although better known may not be the cheapest
    > of these VOIP services? It is difficult to get facts here as every one
    > seems to have a different agenda. Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Voipcheap is free to the USA (landlines and mobiles), though you have to
    deposit £5 with them. You also have to have to bear in mind that this
    credit only lasts 120 days. Voipcheap allows you to use a softphone like
    the Skype software to make calls through your PC.

    http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/rates.html#u

    Max
    Max Power, Jan 29, 2006

  3. Terry Halligan

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:19:35 +0000, Terry Halligan
    <> wrote:

    >Reading messages in this group, one gets the impression
    >that Skype, although better known may not be the cheapest
    >of these VOIP services?

    Skype is free for Skype to Skype calls and most VOIP systems are free
    for VOIP to VOIP calls (for this, Skype is not VOIP because it uses a
    different standard)

    If you are making calls from Skype or VOIP to landline phones, there
    are cheaper alternatives to Skype, and in the future that will be
    increasingly true.

    Because Skype is proprietary, users will be in a position where have
    no easy alternative. When eBay start trying to get back the ridiculous
    price they paid for Skype, it will be a matter of paying more and more
    or switching to a SIP VOIP system.

    If you start with proper SIP VOIP, there is a lot of competition, so
    prices will stay low.
    , Jan 29, 2006
  4. If using Skype to contact other Skype users in the USA or South America
    is free why is that not VOIP. What is SIP VOIP?

    In message <>,
    writes

    --
    Terry Halligan
    Terry Halligan, Jan 29, 2006
  5. Terry Halligan

    Jono Guest

    "Terry Halligan" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>,
    > writes
    >>On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:19:35 +0000, Terry Halligan
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Reading messages in this group, one gets the impression
    >>>that Skype, although better known may not be the cheapest
    >>>of these VOIP services?

    >>Skype is free for Skype to Skype calls and most VOIP systems are free
    >>for VOIP to VOIP calls (for this, Skype is not VOIP because it uses a
    >>different standard)
    >>
    >>If you are making calls from Skype or VOIP to landline phones, there
    >>are cheaper alternatives to Skype, and in the future that will be
    >>increasingly true.
    >>
    >>Because Skype is proprietary, users will be in a position where have
    >>no easy alternative. When eBay start trying to get back the ridiculous
    >>price they paid for Skype, it will be a matter of paying more and more
    >>or switching to a SIP VOIP system.
    >>
    >>If you start with proper SIP VOIP, there is a lot of competition, so
    >>prices will stay low.

    > --
    > Terry Halligan

    > If using Skype to contact other Skype users in the USA or South America is
    > free why is that not VOIP. What is SIP VOIP?

    I think he meant Skype is not SIP, not Skype is not VoIP, as it clearly is
    VoIP.

    A couple of disadvantages that come with Skype are
    1. Other VoIP services cannot interconnect with it
    2. Skype requires a PC to be on to use it.
    Jono, Jan 29, 2006
  6. What is a good example of a VOIP that is interactive with other VOIP not
    necessarily the same company and doesn't require a PC but presumably
    some specific handset .

    In message <HR7Df.11437$>, Jono
    <> writes

    Terry Halligan, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Terry Halligan

    Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:28:59 +0000, Terry Halligan
    <> wrote:

    >What is a good example of a VOIP that is interactive with other VOIP not
    >necessarily the same company and doesn't require a PC

    All of them except Skype!

    There are literally hundreds to choose from.

    >but presumably
    >some specific handset

    Although you can get special VOIP phones, most people use a little box
    called an ATA which has a socket for a network cable to connect to the
    internet through broadband, and a telephone socket that you plug an
    ordinary telephone into.

    That's what I use.

    It's not necessary to include the preceding discussion and add your
    response/question at the top. I find it inconvenient to read that way.
    , Jan 29, 2006
  8. Terry Halligan

    Jono Guest

    Terry Halligan wrote:

    || In message <HR7Df.11437$>, Jono
    || <> writes
    ||| "Terry Halligan" <> wrote in
    ||| message news:...
    ||| I think he meant Skype is not SIP, not Skype is not VoIP, as it
    ||| clearly is VoIP.
    ||| A couple of disadvantages that come with Skype are
    ||| 1. Other VoIP services cannot interconnect with it
    ||| 2. Skype requires a PC to be on to use it.
    || What is a good example of a VOIP that is interactive with other VOIP
    || not necessarily the same company and doesn't require a PC but
    || presumably some specific handset .
    || Terry Halligan

    Sipgate
    Gradwell

    to name but two.

    If you look on the Sipgate.co.uk site, they have a list of other providers
    they have peering agreements with.
    Jono, Jan 29, 2006
  9. Terry Halligan

    Paul Guest

    > There doesn't appear to be a FAQ for this group. We have been using Skype
    > to contact my wife's relations in Bogota, Colombia and Denver, USA , New
    > York, USA together. Also more infrequently New Mexico and St Louis,
    > Missouri. Reading messages in this group, one gets the impression that
    > Skype, although better known may not be the cheapest
    > of these VOIP services? It is difficult to get facts here as every one
    > seems to have a different agenda. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    > --
    > Terry Halligan

    The rate to Bogota is quite good at about 3.3p per minute - assuming you are
    using Skypeout!?

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 30, 2006
  10. Terry Halligan

    Lee Guest

    > There doesn't appear to be a FAQ for this group. We have been using Skype
    > to contact my wife's relations in Bogota, Colombia and Denver, USA , New
    > York, USA together. Also more infrequently New Mexico and St Louis,
    > Missouri. Reading messages in this group, one gets the impression that
    > Skype, although better known may not be the cheapest
    > of these VOIP services? It is difficult to get facts here as every one
    > seems to have a different agenda. Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Hi,

    Facts are thin on the ground because everything is new and developing
    rapidly.

    Basically, Skype uses a proprietory system for transferring voice across the
    internet. Skype is pretty well "plug-and-play" since it is good at
    circumventing firewall and router issues. If you are happy with
    computer-to-computer/landline conversations then it works very well. It is
    true that landline calls may not be the cheapest but you are paying for the
    convenience of the software and the user interface.

    The "other" form of VoIP is based upon SIP, an open standard system. Open
    standards means that any number of players can enter the market and develop
    whatever market offerings they can think up around that them. You do need
    SIP-enabled VoIP software or hardware in order to use it however there are a
    number of advantages: You can have multiple suppliers according to your
    needs and can route calls to the cheapest supplier according to destination.
    Calls are free between SIP suppliers that have peering arrangements. I use
    voipfone.co.uk and they peer as follows [from their FAQ
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/FAQ.php]:
    *878 Voiptalk
    *488 Intervivo
    *393 FWD
    *747 SipPhone
    *333 Deltathree
    *467 Gossiptel
    *472 Gradwell
    *687 Musimi
    *856 Telio
    *483 Gratissip

    If you have a network router controlling your internet connection then you
    can purchase an ATA [I use Sipura] and plug a regular phone into that [we
    have a DECT base station with handsets in the kitchen, living room,
    bedroom]. This means that you can make and receive calls without the
    computer being switched on. You may sometimes have configuration issues
    with getting the VoIP signal through some routers/firewalls to the ATA but
    once figured out they should not recurr.

    As regards your choice of supplier, just find the one(s) with cheapest calls
    to USA and Columbia. You may have to do some research.

    Hope this helps.

    Lee, Jan 30, 2006
  11. Terry Halligan

    alex Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > *878 Voiptalk
    > *488 Intervivo
    > *393 FWD
    > *747 SipPhone
    > *333 Deltathree
    > *467 Gossiptel
    > *472 Gradwell
    > *687 Musimi
    > *856 Telio
    > *483 Gratissip

    If you're after free calls to other VoIP users, take a look at
    sipbroker.org.

    Alex
    alex, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Terry Halligan

    Lee Guest

    "alex" <> wrote in message
    > Lee wrote:
    >> *878 Voiptalk
    >> *488 Intervivo
    >> *393 FWD
    >> *747 SipPhone
    >> *333 Deltathree
    >> *467 Gossiptel
    >> *472 Gradwell
    >> *687 Musimi
    >> *856 Telio
    >> *483 Gratissip

    > If you're after free calls to other VoIP users, take a look at
    > sipbroker.org.

    Nice. I like the SIPdomain-to-numericPrefix mapping.

    thanks very much.
    Lee, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Terry Halligan

    Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:27:56 -0000, "Lee" <> wrote:

    >Calls are free between SIP suppliers that have peering arrangements.

    You can make SIP-SIP calls for free anyway, if you "dial" the right IP
    address.
    , Jan 30, 2006