    , as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    in advance.
    Brett, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Brett

    Imhotep Guest

    Brett wrote:

    > Iv'e just installed Skype I was wondering if it had many security holes
    > , as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    > my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    > in advance.

    I have not heard of any. If you are using Windows I would suggest keeping an
    eye on your OS and applications closely (spyware, keyloggers, etc) That is
    your biggest weak link....

    Im
    Imhotep, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > Brett wrote:
    >

    >>Iv'e just installed Skype I was wondering if it had many security holes
    >>, as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    >>my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    >>in advance.

    > I have not heard of any. If you are using Windows I would suggest keeping an
    > eye on your OS and applications closely (spyware, keyloggers, etc) That is
    > your biggest weak link....
    >

    > Im

    Thanks thats all I needed to know for now
    Brett, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Brett

    Ric Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:22:56 GMT, Brett <> wrote:

    >Iv'e just installed Skype I was wondering if it had many security holes
    >, as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    >my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    >in advance.

    According to Secunia there are no unpatched vulnerabilities for Skype.
    http://secunia.com/product/4250/

    You can also check your other software and hardware at this site.

    ric
    Ric, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Brett

    Donnie Guest

    "Brett" <> wrote in message
    > Iv'e just installed Skype I was wondering if it had many security holes
    > , as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    > my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    > in advance.

    #################################
    A lot of the people in #w0kie at irc.dishnuts.net use skpe. You might want
    to check w/ them.
    donnie
    Donnie, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Brett

    David Guest

    As far as I know and from what I've read it is safe. But your phone
    conversations could still potentially be heard if someone was using a
    sniffer on the line.

    David, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Brett

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:41:57 GMT, David <> wrote:

    >As far as I know and from what I've read it is safe. But your phone
    >conversations could still potentially be heard if someone was using a
    >sniffer on the line.

    which particular line might that be ?

    If you mean the data line, the traffic is encrypted and although one
    might expect the GCHQ/NSA types to have the capability, there
    is a lot of other things they are worried about and their time don't
    come cheap. The goverment of Dharkistan, known for its bad
    human rights record, has not got the technology.

    If you mean a POTS line receiving a skypeout call then you don't
    need 'a sniffer' you need the traditional pair of clips and a
    telephone earpiece as per usual. And lots of free time.

    More of concern is what the Skype network is up to on your
    PC.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 15, 2005
  8. Brett

    Winged Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:41:57 GMT, David <> wrote:
    >

    >>As far as I know and from what I've read it is safe. But your phone
    >>conversations could still potentially be heard if someone was using a
    >>sniffer on the line.

    > which particular line might that be ?
    >
    > If you mean the data line, the traffic is encrypted and although one
    > might expect the GCHQ/NSA types to have the capability, there
    > is a lot of other things they are worried about and their time don't
    > come cheap. The goverment of Dharkistan, known for its bad
    > human rights record, has not got the technology.
    >
    > If you mean a POTS line receiving a skypeout call then you don't
    > need 'a sniffer' you need the traditional pair of clips and a
    > telephone earpiece as per usual. And lots of free time.
    >
    > More of concern is what the Skype network is up to on your
    > PC.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Skype "appears" to be as secure as those you chat/exchange files with.
    Point to point pc commo "seems" to cloud across multiple channels
    Through multiple intermediaries to the endpoint. It also "shares
    bandwidth" with other skype users since high speed connections become
    nodes. Reminds me of freenet modified. Commo seems efficient. I can't
    yet discuss how secure the tool is, but I have seen no behavior that
    makes it specifically risky if one limits their conversations to those
    folks they know. Works better than most clients I have seen broadband
    to dial-up. I haven't played with broadband to POTS (fee service). But
    the basic Skype tool seems to be reasonably robust and has a niche that
    is more secure and performs better than other common free tools I have
    looked at.

    Winged
    Winged, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Brett

    hatschi Guest

    > If you mean a POTS line receiving a skypeout call then you don't
    > need 'a sniffer' you need the traditional pair of clips and a
    > telephone earpiece as per usual. And lots of free time.

    You'll need the capability of decoding binary G.711 data in our world....
    hatschi, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Brett

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:07:31 +0200, hatschi <>
    wrote:

    >> If you mean a POTS line receiving a skypeout call then you don't
    >> need 'a sniffer' you need the traditional pair of clips and a
    >> telephone earpiece as per usual. And lots of free time.

    >You'll need the capability of decoding binary G.711 data in our world....

    Is that an alteernate universe here acronyms don't mean the same ?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 18, 2005
  11. "Brett" <> wrote in message
    > Iv'e just installed Skype I was wondering if it had many security holes
    > , as I do my banking on the same comp it's pretty damn important {having
    > my car stolen this year is enough} no more chances on all fronts. Thanks
    > in advance.

    Um. Been away, so apologies if I'm a little late on this one (i.e. just
    point me to the thread I missed, and I'll shut up :eek:)

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/25/skype_vuln/

    and a follow-up

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/07/skype_vuln_analysis/

    Apparent overflows, rather than a datastream problem. Still a potential
    issue for a single-machine setup, of course.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Nov 7, 2005