Is Runescape safe for my eleven year old.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bambam@nospam.tnx, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    You've been so helpful to me before ... as I learn more and more about
    eleven year old boys and computers ...

    He wants to play Runescape --- I've looked at the site and the game
    and don't see anything particularly harmful. I've googled and found a
    million related pages .. mostly cheats and fan page.

    My question is -- is this game safe for my son (no pedophiles able to
    get at him through the private chats) and for my computer (no
    spybots, adware, etc)?

    We already agreed on a two hour daily total for television, computer
    and video games.

    Ken

    One month into the adoption of an eleven year old and clinging
    frantically to the learning curve.

    , Feb 28, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > You've been so helpful to me before ... as I learn more and more about
    > eleven year old boys and computers ...
    >
    > He wants to play Runescape --- I've looked at the site and the game
    > and don't see anything particularly harmful. I've googled and found a
    > million related pages .. mostly cheats and fan page.
    >
    > My question is -- is this game safe for my son (no pedophiles able to
    > get at him through the private chats) and for my computer (no
    > spybots, adware, etc)?
    >
    > We already agreed on a two hour daily total for television, computer
    > and video games.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > One month into the adoption of an eleven year old and clinging
    > frantically to the learning curve.

    Since no one else has responded yet, thought I'd chime in. More than
    likely the research you did would have exposed any glaring problems with
    that program. As for safety in chats, there is no way to make sure the
    person you or your child is communicating with is who they say and
    pretend they are. The best way to make your child safe *in my humble
    opinion* is to talk to them not just once, but every now and then about
    remembering to not reveal any details about themselves to online
    chatters. Remind them occasionally that the kid they think they are
    chatting with could turn out to be a predator, but don't make them
    completely paranoid. I know from my own daughter and niece that by the
    age of 11 they were quite a bit more net-savvy than many adults I see
    online.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 28, 2005

  3. why? Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:58:04 GMT, bambam wrote:

    >You've been so helpful to me before ... as I learn more and more about
    >eleven year old boys and computers ...

    Ny niece and nephew both 12, play it. It been fine, so far the issues
    seem to don't believe everything the characters / people say. A few
    times they have traded goods and the other person has run off without
    payment (something they can't understand) , or someone copying moves ,
    following them to simply be a pest and mess things up.

    >He wants to play Runescape --- I've looked at the site and the game
    >and don't see anything particularly harmful. I've googled and found a
    >million related pages .. mostly cheats and fan page.

    Read the Runescape notes concerning cheat pages as well as rules and
    security.

    http://www.runescape.com/aff/runescape/guides/guides.html

    >My question is -- is this game safe for my son (no pedophiles able to
    >get at him through the private chats) and for my computer (no
    >spybots, adware, etc)?

    No spybots/ads.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 28, 2005
  4. EricP Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:58:04 GMT, babbled like a
    waterfall and said:

    >My question is -- is this game safe for my son (no pedophiles able to
    >get at him through the private chats)

    If it has Chat, then he stands as much chance of being connected to a
    pervert as another 11 year old.

    EricP, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:58:04 GMT, wrote:

    >He wants to play Runescape --- I've looked at the site and the game
    >and don't see anything particularly harmful. I've googled and found a
    >million related pages .. mostly cheats and fan page.

    Thanks for the help and advice -- again!

    I intend to follow it -- time limits, cautions about predators and
    bad characters, computer in an open area with the screen visible to
    passers by and a lot of friendly but parental monitoring.

    And the end of winter should help -- he's a bit of a jock, he'd rather
    be shooting hoops or throwing a football around than parked in front
    of a screen.

    Again, thank you ... and no doubt, I'll be back.

    Ken

    , Feb 28, 2005
  6. johnyreb Guest

    "John" <john.ansellNO > wrote in message
    > I have a 22 year old son who plays his Xbox online on the family TV and if
    > I had younger kids the language in chat would not be suitable for them as
    > theres always someone who starts swearing and insulting other players. at
    > 22 he is old enough to choose which games to join in, but kids do copy
    > what they hear

    You would also think that a 22 yo would not be living at home!

    johnyreb, Feb 28, 2005
  7. johnyreb wrote:

    > "John" <john.ansellNO > wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a 22 year old son who plays his Xbox online on the family TV and if
    >>I had younger kids the language in chat would not be suitable for them as
    >>theres always someone who starts swearing and insulting other players. at
    >>22 he is old enough to choose which games to join in, but kids do copy
    >>what they hear

    > You would also think that a 22 yo would not be living at home!

    Not been paying attention to social trends for a few years, eh?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 28, 2005
  8. John wrote:

    > You would think this newsgroupwas a pretty safe place but have you

    Why would you think that? The name doesn't show up *here* as
    24hour.kiddie-safe.moderated.run-by-nuns.support.helpdesk. Unmoderated
    newsgroups are like street corners; you get what anyone brings to them.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2005
  9. mentalguy2004 wrote:

    > That is the golden rule for any social group where anonymity is
    > granted; you're always going to get the social inadequates or the
    > teenagers who have just learnt their first 4-letter word slinging crap
    > to the rest of the (responsible) population. Maybe it's a kind of
    > fantasy for these people, doing the things they don't have the guts to
    > do in real life situations.

    One place I lived, long ago, was on the other side of a vacant suburban
    field of weeds from a supermarket. Cutting across the field the first
    time, I noticed a tossed-out washing machine or fridge or similar
    appliance that someone had spray-painted "**** YOU BITCH" across. In
    the middle of that field, my first response was surprise; there's not
    much of an audience in a place like that. My second thought was how sad
    it was that that kind of alphabetical masturbation was the best that
    someone could do for "communication". Now he - and his peers - have
    Usenet. And they're still as alone and as socially inept as they were
    when one of them painted that fridge. They're just alone and inept in a
    bigger world.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2005
  10. pancakeman55 Guest

    yeah

    let your son play runescape for petes sake its good for him and he will
    not be stupid anymore

    pancakeman55, Mar 6, 2005
  11. °Mike° Guest

    Re: yeah

    On 6 Mar 2005 08:53:46 -0800, in
    <>
    pancakeman55 scrawled:

    >let your son play runescape for petes sake its good for him and he will
    >not be stupid anymore

    Unlike Google Groups users, you mean?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 6, 2005
  12. Bas Guest

    There are ads

    Bas, Mar 25, 2005
  13. Si Guest

    Hey I'm 18 and i have been playing runescape since i was 17. I
    wouldn't worry about a thing, it is very safe,a dn it is very suer
    friendly. Admittedly there are problems with poeple n ot paying when
    trading, but that about the most harmful thing about the game, and
    p[eople within the game are generally quite kind. I myself try to help
    out and give new players some hints and money to get started, (was
    ahrd wen i started) and alsong as your child doesnt give out email
    adresses or phone numbers or adress, they'll eb fine, dont worry about
    a thing. Its great fun, although to be fair extreamly addictive, i
    played it instead of doing work (mum gave me lectures).. so if u
    regulate the use. it'll be great and the game is fairy erducational, i
    learnt a few things i didnt know, like u need coal and iron to make
    steel etc. Enjoy, and hey if ur an adult u may even enjoy playing
    yourself sometime, my dad does n he's almost 50, hehe

    Well good luck,

    Si, Apr 6, 2005
  14. Oldus Fartus Guest

    Si wrote:
    > Hey I'm 18 and i have been playing runescape since i was 17. I
    > wouldn't worry about a thing, it is very safe,a dn it is very suer
    > friendly. Admittedly there are problems with poeple n ot paying when
    > trading, but that about the most harmful thing about the game, and
    > p[eople within the game are generally quite kind. I myself try to help
    > out and give new players some hints and money to get started, (was
    > ahrd wen i started) and alsong as your child doesnt give out email
    > adresses or phone numbers or adress, they'll eb fine, dont worry about
    > a thing. Its great fun, although to be fair extreamly addictive, i
    > played it instead of doing work (mum gave me lectures).. so if u
    > regulate the use. it'll be great and the game is fairy erducational, i
    > learnt a few things i didnt know, like u need coal and iron to make
    > steel etc. Enjoy, and hey if ur an adult u may even enjoy playing
    > yourself sometime, my dad does n he's almost 50, hehe
    >
    > Well good luck,

    I am really pleased it is fairy erducational. Are all Runescape
    players as erducational as you?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 6, 2005
  15. Guest

    I am an avid gamer and play RuneScape among many other games such as
    GTA: San Andreas, and UT2K4. I run an up-and-coming gaming community
    at www.gamingrealms.net where any gamer can go to discuss PC, XBox,
    PS2, and RuneScape gaming with others interested in the same thing.
    Anyone can join and there are not as many rules as other board
    communities so feel free to join us! Regarding RuneScape, this
    community is home of the RuneScape Mafia, a clan type group that is all

    about helping its members out with advancing in the game, the
    occasional "PK" trips to the wilderness, and sometimes free stuff from
    the Head Don of the group. It is a fun group of people and there is a
    lot of experience amongst the members. If you like RuneScape or just
    plain gaming in general, join us at www.gamingrealms.net. See you
    there!

    , Apr 23, 2005
  16. Haydio Guest

    Hi
    I read this post and i thought i had to register
    RuneScape is a awsome game i am now 13 and i started when i was 11
    have my friends that play including my brother and even my Dad !!

    This game is safe as any thing
    all my family members are memebers and i think this game is sutible fo
    any age

    ~~~~WARNING~~~~ Game play is addictive and i started when we had only
    pc but now we have 3

    ~~~~WARNING~~~~ Trust me on this teach your son not to abreveate word
    now all my brother does is write ur insted or your ec

    ALSO~ tell your son to goto http://www.Rune-Base.tk
    Its a RuneScape site me abd some friends mad
    ~Haydio

    --
    Haydi
    Haydio's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1246