Is really necessary spanning tree in PIX ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sako, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Sako

    Sako Guest

    I'll try to explain brief and concrete :

    My connection to internet goes to 2 panda Gate denders, placed in the
    internet Vlan and then goes to my Panda/pix Vlan , I have 2 pixes
    connected, one of them in sand-by.

    It seems that it's necessary to disable spanning tree in panda's
    VLANS so they can work as active both, but I have enabled spanning tree
    in my PIX interface of that VLAN.
    So Is there any problem in disabling spanning tree in that inteface
    ?
    What kind of problems could be caused?

    The pix is a 525 , the switches 2950, and the problem is that I
    need to disable spanning tree in the switch interface so Panda gateways
    can work on cooperative mode. (it isn't enabled in the switch
    interfaces where the Panda is connected to)

    Thanks and regards, sorry my english isn't good neither is my cisco
    knowledge .

    Sako, Oct 2, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Sako <> wrote:
    > It seems that it's necessary to disable spanning tree in panda's
    >VLANS so they can work as active both, but I have enabled spanning tree
    >in my PIX interface of that VLAN.
    > So Is there any problem in disabling spanning tree in that inteface

    Which PIX software version are you running on your 525?
    And how do you configure spanning-tree on the 525?

    There is no way to "enable spanning tree in my PIX interface" in
    PIX 4, PIX 5, or PIX 6; I am not sure about PIX 7.

    In the setup you are using, the PIX is acting as a router --
    acting at layer 3 rather than at layer 2. Spanning Tree is
    something that is used only at the switching level, layer 2.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Sako

    Sako Guest

    The spanning tree is configured in the VLAN that has the panda
    interfaces and the Pixes Interfaces, but it ain't configured in the pix
    as far as I can see in the running config.
    So, what problems could it cause if I erase the spanning tree from the
    switch ?

    Walter Roberson ha escrito:

    Sako, Oct 2, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Sako <> wrote:
    >The spanning tree is configured in the VLAN that has the panda
    >interfaces and the Pixes Interfaces, but it ain't configured in the pix
    >as far as I can see in the running config.
    >So, what problems could it cause if I erase the spanning tree from the
    >switch ?

    As I recall, you said the switch was a 2950. If so, then you can turn off
    spanning tree on the ports connected to the PIX, but turn on
    BPDU Guard for those ports. That way if at some point cables get
    misplaced or other rewiring happens, then if something that needs
    spanning tree ends up on those ports, the ports will disable themselves
    when they see spanning tree packets, thus preventing spanning tree loops.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 2, 2006