is Preddy a paid sigma shill?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Crownfield, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Crownfield

    Crownfield Guest

    Amazing Preddyisms.

    It's a shame Bayer doesn't do the downsizing for you, if it did it
    wouldn't have to deal with its well earned reputaion for producing
    extremely blurry images from pristine film lenses. Nor would it use
    400% of the file size bandwidth needed to carry its optical resolution.

    And everyone who's ever reviewed the cameras. I've yet to read an
    opinion that Foveon doesn't absolutely blow away all Bayer cameras pixel
    for pixel. The question is only one of degree, how dominant is Foveon?
    It's also interesting that Foveon is said to be better than film, I find
    that true most of the time as well.

    Foveon's main advantage is color reproduction...

    That is an unacceptably blurry SD9 image due to camera shake, it's not a
    10D image, a 10D image could never be that sharp even under the best of
    conditions.

    I was talking about Foveon's limitations. No one has brought any up
    yet, except the some firmware problems noted on dpreview, fixed years
    ago.

    Well, there certainly is no shortage of Bayer users who actually thought
    the Foveon sensor was a 3.4MP Bayer (yuck) before chatting with me.

    That's very strange, and it doesn't add soerly needed MPs to your 1.5
    full color MP 10D, as characterized by dpreview.

    Absolutely, and the 6MP-interpolated DSLRs are 1.5MP.

    The 1Ds gets creamed by Foveon.

    Can someone recommend a few good sites with lots of full sized 6MP DSLR
    images? Same for the 1Ds and 14n if possible, any sites with full sized
    images? Surfing zillions of 800x600 pbase images is getting old.

    If you consider images "artifacts" then you are right, there are no good
    Bayer images linked in these threads.

    > No good like this one:
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/22617657/original

    Probably true, but averaging each Bayer 2x2 RGGB grid to a single full
    color pixel will dramaticaly improve a Bayer's image quality,
    particularly sharpness, and it'll average-out most of the copious color
    errors (Bayer artifacts). You can see a truly major improvement in
    overall quality when downsizing any Bayer image to 25% of its normal,
    interpolated size, to match its actual optical resolution.

    Downsizing a Foveon does nothing but throw away real optical
    information.

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Crownfield

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    The people at Sigma USA never heard of George Preddy.

    I asked.

    Have fun, Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Crownfield

    Crownfield Guest

    Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > The people at Sigma USA never heard of George Preddy.
    >
    > I asked.

    great minds think alike?

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Crownfield

    Searching_ut Guest

    I'm sure Sigma wants nothing to do with him/her. In fact, when I was
    recently shopping for a new camera and looking at the SD9, the clerk at the
    camera shop felt it necessary to defend the camera somewhat when I mentioned
    I had read up a bit on it at Dpreview. His wording was something along the
    lines of "It's not necessarily a camera for idiots only as you might
    conclude by reading SG10's postings" Of course on this newsgroup the
    individual uses the name of George Preddy, presumably to try and mislead by
    using the name of a respectable individual.

    If you scan the assorted newsgroups and forums the individual has
    participated in, it's hard to decide what the motives are. My best guess
    regarding Sigma is that the idividual actually has some sort of negative
    issue with Sigma or Foveon, and is trying to destroy thier reputation under
    the guise of a fan. You can also find a history of this individual claiming
    to be an Air Force pilot. Most likely couldn't make it as a pilot, hence
    trying to destroy the reputations of people like George Preddy. To learn
    more, scan Dpreview's forums for postings by SG10, later 10.3 after having
    been locked out of the forums. In the Amiga forums, the indiviual went by
    SG. He was considered an idiot there too.

    I don't think he's a paid shill, just a fool

    Searching_ut, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Crownfield

    Clockmeister Guest

    "Searching_ut" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sure Sigma wants nothing to do with him/her. In fact, when I was
    > recently shopping for a new camera and looking at the SD9, the clerk at

    the
    > camera shop felt it necessary to defend the camera somewhat when I

    mentioned
    > I had read up a bit on it at Dpreview. His wording was something along the
    > lines of "It's not necessarily a camera for idiots only as you might
    > conclude by reading SG10's postings" Of course on this newsgroup the
    > individual uses the name of George Preddy, presumably to try and mislead

    by
    > using the name of a respectable individual.
    >
    > If you scan the assorted newsgroups and forums the individual has
    > participated in, it's hard to decide what the motives are. My best guess
    > regarding Sigma is that the idividual actually has some sort of negative
    > issue with Sigma or Foveon, and is trying to destroy thier reputation

    under
    > the guise of a fan. You can also find a history of this individual

    claiming
    > to be an Air Force pilot. Most likely couldn't make it as a pilot, hence
    > trying to destroy the reputations of people like George Preddy. To learn
    > more, scan Dpreview's forums for postings by SG10, later 10.3 after having
    > been locked out of the forums. In the Amiga forums, the indiviual went by
    > SG. He was considered an idiot there too.
    >
    > I don't think he's a paid shill, just a fool

    Posted under the name Steve Giovanella (sp?) in the Amiga groups for some
    time before he went nuts so perhaps that is his real name.

    Clockmeister, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Crownfield

    mark herring Guest

    I have a favorite quote posted forever on my wall:

    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    stupidity."

    George is articulate, to be sure (and verbose). I do not see malice in
    him.

    --
    ******************
    Mark Herring

    *

    mark herring, Jan 14, 2004
  7. "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > Amazing Preddyisms.

    A good one as a basis for Lionel's FAQ.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 14, 2004
  8. "Clockmeister" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > Posted under the name Steve Giovanella (sp?) in the Amiga groups for some
    > time before he went nuts so perhaps that is his real name.

    Yep, same troll.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 14, 2004
  9. "mark herring" <> wrote in message
    > I have a favorite quote posted forever on my wall:
    >
    > "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    > stupidity."
    >
    > George is articulate, to be sure (and verbose). I do not see malice in
    > him.

    LOL

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Crownfield

    Crownfield Guest

    mark herring wrote:

    > I have a favorite quote posted forever on my wall:
    >
    > "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    > stupidity."
    >
    > George is articulate, to be sure (and verbose).
    > I do not see malice in him.

    and thus you win "The Laugh of the Day Award" !!

    Bob from nearby RPV.

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Crownfield

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <bu4fbj$qfm$>, "mark herring"
    <> writes:

    >I do not see malice in
    >him.

    He has lied about other people and myself here before.

    To me that is malice pure and simple. Otherwise he wouldnt have to
    lie about others.

    Azzz1588, Jan 15, 2004
  12. Crownfield

    mark herring Guest

    I was leaning towards the stupidity alternative, but you may be right.

    An earlier semantic nuance: If you lie, then you must first know the truth.
    Do you think GP intentionally states things he knows to be false?

    --
    ******************

    mark herring, Jan 15, 2004
  13. Crownfield

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (Azzz1588) wrote:

    >In article <bu4fbj$qfm$>, "mark herring"
    ><> writes:

    >>I do not see malice in
    >>him.

    >He has lied about other people and myself here before.

    >To me that is malice pure and simple. Otherwise he wouldnt have to
    >lie about others.

    In comp.sys.amiga.advocacy, he slandered a developer as a thief, and
    continued to do so, even after the alleged victim had exhonerated the
    guy and pointed the blame elsewhere.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 16, 2004
  14. Crownfield

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:29:33 GMT, "Searching_ut"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm sure Sigma wants nothing to do with him/her. ................. My best guess
    >regarding Sigma is that the idividual actually has some sort of negative
    >issue with Sigma or Foveon, and is trying to destroy thier reputation under
    >the guise of a fan. ..........

    I thought there was a rumor he receives a small monthly stipend from
    Canon USA .

    Dave
    East Englewood
    ------------------------------

    you can also find a history of this individual claiming
    >to be an Air Force pilot. Most likely couldn't make it as a pilot, hence
    >trying to destroy the reputations of people like George Preddy. To learn
    >more, scan Dpreview's forums for postings by SG10, later 10.3 after having
    >been locked out of the forums. In the Amiga forums, the indiviual went by
    >SG. He was considered an idiot there too.
    >
    >I don't think he's a paid shill, just a fool

    , Jan 16, 2004
  15. Crownfield

    Annika1980 Guest

    >I thought there was a rumor he receives a small monthly stipend from
    >Canon USA .

    It is possible that he is repsonsible for almost as many Canon DSLR sales as I
    am. And I'm still waiting on my first commission check myself!

    Annika1980, Jan 16, 2004
  16. Crownfield

    RAD Guest

    Bart van der Wolf wrote:

    > "Clockmeister" <> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >
    >>Posted under the name Steve Giovanella (sp?) in the Amiga groups for some
    >>time before he went nuts so perhaps that is his real name.

    > Yep, same troll.
    >
    > Bart

    There's still active Amiga groups???

    RAD

    RAD, Jan 17, 2004
  17. Crownfield

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > The people at Sigma USA never heard of George Preddy.

    Well, that's because it's not his real name...

    Anyhow, I doubt he works for Sigma, as he's done
    wonders to ruin the reputation of the company. Most
    likely he works for Tamron... :)

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 17, 2004
  18. "RAD" <> wrote in message

    > Bart van der Wolf wrote:
    >
    > > "Clockmeister" <> wrote in message
    > > SNIP
    > >
    > >>Posted under the name Steve Giovanella (sp?) in the Amiga groups for

    some
    > >>time before he went nuts so perhaps that is his real name.

    > > Yep, same troll.
    > >
    > > Bart
    > >

    > There's still active Amiga groups???

    Yes, but why do you think he shifted his focus to this group?
    A much larger audience for Steve/George.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 17, 2004
  19. Re: is Preddy really Bill gates?

    No.

    George Preddy, Jan 17, 2004
  20. Crownfield

    imbsysop Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > No.

    naah .. If he were he should show a minimal form of intelligence ..

    imbsysop, Jan 17, 2004