    Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.

    Thanks.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2005

  2. E. Scrooge

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:47:09 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >Going by an email someone on Paradise got, the entire network was attacked
    >by someone. The details from the person over the phone were patchy since
    >they weren't that sure about some things in the email they got from
    >Paradise. Something about Paradise being out of action for 2 days while
    >they cleaned out their servers and double checked them.
    >Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.

    Seems to be OK at the moment. Here's the e-mail:

    * Email delays
    * Home pages and web page issues
    * Please visit the paradise.net home page to check for any issues in future

    Last week you may have noticed delays in receiving email via
    paradise.net, and that Paradise home and web pages were off line for a
    couple of days.

    This was necessary following a security threat to paradise.net.

    As part of our standard security operation our team detected an
    unauthorised third party accessing the internal servers of
    paradise.net. Immediate steps were taken to prevent this and avoid any
    impact on paradise.net or our customers. The result was that some of
    our servers were removed from service while the threat was quantified
    and removed, and before customer's information could be accessed or
    corrupted.

    Our security team worked round the clock to ensure the servers were
    clear of potential problems before they were put back into service -
    with double and triple checking that we had removed the problem. In
    addition, this work was subject to an external peer review - so we
    took no chances with our security or yours.

    An unfortunate side effect of acting quickly was that we were not able
    to forewarn you of the loss of service. And once the servers had been
    taken off line the build up in email traffic meant we could not email
    you to advise of the problem.

    We did add a message to the paradise.net home page, which some
    customers would have seen, and spoke to others who called in.

    We have revised our security protocols so that this attempt to
    interfere with paradise.net cannot happen again. For any ISP, however,
    there's always the possibility of a loss of service that affects email
    - and therefore the ability to quickly advise what's going on.

    In future, please make the paradise.net home page your first port of
    call if you have any email, home page or web page issues. We'll post
    information as soon as it's available.

    We'd like to apologise for the problems of the past week and thank you
    for your understanding. We'll continue to do everything we can to make
    sure you get the best web service possible - without risking your
    security.

    The team at paradise.net
    Invisible, Feb 3, 2005

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:47:09 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Going by an email someone on Paradise got, the entire network was attacked
    >>by someone. The details from the person over the phone were patchy since
    >>they weren't that sure about some things in the email they got from
    >>Paradise. Something about Paradise being out of action for 2 days while
    >>they cleaned out their servers and double checked them.
    >>Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.
    >>

    > Seems to be OK at the moment. Here's the e-mail:

    Thanks for that. I didn't hear from someone for a couple of days, and
    wondered if there was email problems. Turns out they just had quite a lot
    on.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2005
  4. E. Scrooge

    Ross Dawson Guest

    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Going by an email someone on Paradise got, the entire network was attacked
    >by someone. The details from the person over the phone were patchy since
    >they weren't that sure about some things in the email they got from
    >Paradise. Something about Paradise being out of action for 2 days while
    >they cleaned out their servers and double checked them.
    >Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I'm on Cable and am having no problems at all I am receiving and able
    to send email.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.
    Ross Dawson, Feb 3, 2005
  5. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ross Dawson" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:47:09 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>Going by an email someone on Paradise got, the entire network was attacked
    >>by someone. The details from the person over the phone were patchy since
    >>they weren't that sure about some things in the email they got from
    >>Paradise. Something about Paradise being out of action for 2 days while
    >>they cleaned out their servers and double checked them.
    >>Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I'm on Cable and am having no problems at all I am receiving and able
    > to send email.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers for now
    >
    > Ross Dawson.

    Thanks, Ross.
    Have a look on their website under "Help", Paradise did have big problems a
    couple of weeks back.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 3, 2005
  6. E. Scrooge

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:49:10 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Ross Dawson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:47:09 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Going by an email someone on Paradise got, the entire network was attacked
    >>>by someone. The details from the person over the phone were patchy since
    >>>they weren't that sure about some things in the email they got from
    >>>Paradise. Something about Paradise being out of action for 2 days while
    >>>they cleaned out their servers and double checked them.
    >>>Just wondering if Paradise are still having problems.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> I'm on Cable and am having no problems at all I am receiving and able
    >> to send email.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers for now
    >>
    >> Ross Dawson.

    >Thanks, Ross.
    >Have a look on their website under "Help", Paradise did have big problems a
    >couple of weeks back.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Yep remember those problems well.

    --