    Hey peoples,

    I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any good?

    -Al

    Al, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Al

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Al wrote:
    > Hey peoples,
    >
    > I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any good?
    >
    > -Al

    I changed to Orcon about 3 years ago, they have kept my business longer
    than most other internet suppliers I have used.

    I give them an excellent rating.

    CollectorNZ, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Al

    Worm Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > Hey peoples,
    >
    > I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any

    good?

    They're "tops". Been with them since they went nationwide. Every ISP has a
    problem every now and then, but at least these guys get right onto fixing
    it.

    Worm

    Worm, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Al

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <4016433f$>,
    "Al" <> wrote:

    > Hey peoples,
    >
    > I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any good?

    Without a doubt. For starters, they have excellent products, by that I
    mean they try to cater to different users rather than one-size-fits-all.
    For $20/month I get Jetstart with 5GB of internation traffic which suits
    me to a tee.

    Support has been great the few times I've needed it. I've appreciated
    the fact that someone actually picked up the phone (no "Press 1 for...")
    and they were honest about issues (which I *really* like from an ISP)
    and didn't try to bullshit me.

    And I guess, lastly, their speeds, connections, etc seem to be really
    good IME. I'd recommend them...

    --
    madknoxie
    "...Microsoft is copying us again, and it feels great."

    madknoxie, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Al

    Al Guest

    wow - so far so good.

    Al, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Al

    CollectorNZ Guest

    madknoxie wrote:

    > In article <4016433f$>,
    > "Al" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey peoples,
    >>
    >>I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any good?

    > Without a doubt. For starters, they have excellent products, by that I
    > mean they try to cater to different users rather than one-size-fits-all.
    > For $20/month I get Jetstart with 5GB of internation traffic which suits
    > me to a tee.
    >
    > Support has been great the few times I've needed it. I've appreciated
    > the fact that someone actually picked up the phone (no "Press 1 for...")
    > and they were honest about issues (which I *really* like from an ISP)
    > and didn't try to bullshit me.
    >
    > And I guess, lastly, their speeds, connections, etc seem to be really
    > good IME. I'd recommend them...

    Yes well said, echos my experiance of them.

    CollectorNZ, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Al

    samg Guest

    madknoxie <> wrote in

    > And I guess, lastly, their speeds, connections, etc seem to be really
    > good IME. I'd recommend them...

    anyone know if they do traffic shaping re P2P?

    samg, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Yes, they are a good ISP, but their e-mail server is not strictly RFC
    compliant, or interprets the RFC in very interesting ways.

    For example, some software crashes because messages are not always placed in
    the POP account in the order they arrive. A later message can sometimes be
    assinged a lower ID in the POP account.

    Don't rely on e-mail, large chunks of it seems to simply disappear, possibly
    due to other parts of their mail configuration or the server they are using
    (DBMail).

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 28, 2004
  9. No, they do not traffic shape any ports.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Al

    Lebowski Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > Hey peoples,
    >
    > I have signed up for Orcon, maybe a bit late to ask, but are they any

    good?

    > -Al

    Well, there's only one way to find out... ;)

    Lebowski, Jan 28, 2004
  11. Al

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:30:33 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

    > No, they do not traffic shape any ports.

    Their helpdesk people say that at times of unusual peak traffic, they may
    do some shaping as a desperation measure.

    I've been with them a few months, but have not noticed any shaping.

    Different to ISPs such as Maxnet, which shape *everything* that's not
    explicitly web, ftp, icq etc.

    My only real gripe with Orcon is the paucity of groups on their news
    server.

    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jan 28, 2004
  12. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Different to ISPs such as Maxnet, which shape *everything* that's not
    > explicitly web, ftp, icq etc.

    ICQ is random port is it not?
    well, unless you lock it down like some do.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  13. Al

    Richard Guest

    they do restrict the speed on p2p :(

    Richard, Feb 1, 2004
  14. Al

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <bviiv0$3m0$>, "Richard" <>
    wrote:

    > they do restrict the speed on p2p :(

    Do they? I've never noticed it...

    madknoxie, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Al

    CollectorNZ Guest

    madknoxie wrote:

    > In article <bviiv0$3m0$>, "Richard" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>they do restrict the speed on p2p :(

    > Do they? I've never noticed it...

    Nor I, on either ADSL or Dial

    CollectorNZ, Feb 1, 2004
  16. Al

    Lebowski Guest

    "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <bviiv0$3m0$>, "Richard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > they do restrict the speed on p2p :(

    > Do they? I've never noticed it...

    I thought you were a goody-good (thinking back to your thoughts on I-Tunes
    and downloading music), but please forgive me if my assumption is incorrect.

    Lebowski, Feb 1, 2004
  17. Al

    Richard Guest

    mostly during in peak hrs, the thing start getting better after 11pm, before
    that the speed is unacceptable, almost 0k, upload also affected..

    Richard, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Al

    Worm Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > mostly during in peak hrs, the thing start getting better after 11pm,

    before
    > that the speed is unacceptable, almost 0k, upload also affected..

    Well you're the only one here that has noticed anything. I surely haven't,
    and I use it in the evenings. A lot of it is dependant on how many users
    are available to download from.

    Worm

    Worm, Feb 1, 2004
  19. Al

    Richard Guest

    usually more than 10 users available for one file, but all of them were
    timeout, upload was 0k/s, things back to normal after I logon back to ihug.

    Richard, Feb 2, 2004
  20. Al

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <401d4425$>,
    "Lebowski" <> wrote:

    > "madknoxie" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <bviiv0$3m0$>, "Richard" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > they do restrict the speed on p2p :(

    > > Do they? I've never noticed it...
    > >

    > I thought you were a goody-good (thinking back to your thoughts on I-Tunes
    > and downloading music), but please forgive me if my assumption is incorrect.

    Porn and proprietary music aren't the only two things on p2p... ;)

    madknoxie, Feb 2, 2004