    applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32 Bit application
    only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with 64 Bits applications.

    Thank you

    Nobody, Feb 1, 2010

  2. Nobody

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Zootal.

    Are you sure about those two versions of Notepad.exe?

    My computer (Win7 Ultimate x64) shows THREE copies of Notepad.exe in the
    Windows folder tree:

    C:\Windows\Notepad.exe 7/13/09
    7:39 PM 193,536 bytes
    C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe 7/13/09 7:39 PM
    193,536 bytes
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Notepad.exe 7/13/09 7:14 PM
    179,712 bytes

    I don't understand the differences. On their Properties | Details page,
    they all say:
    File version: 6.1.7600.16385

    Except for the size and the slight difference in the time stamp, they appear
    identical to me. But I'm no techie and I don't begin to understand
    SysWOW64.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 1, 2010

  3. Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
    \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an x64
    system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. (yeah,
    right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)

    Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
    directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading
    as the system32 directory.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 1, 2010
  4. Nobody

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Unless the 32-bit program uses this function:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365743(VS.85).aspx
    that will allow it access to the "real" system32 folder and not to syswow64.
    To my knowledge, there is at least one 32-bit app that uses it successfully:
    my best text mode shell ZTreeWin.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 1, 2010
  5. Nobody

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 01/02/2010 in message <#> R. C.
    White wrote:

    >I don't understand the differences. On their Properties | Details page,
    >they all say:
    >File version: 6.1.7600.16385

    Start them up one by one and look at the Task Manager Processes Tab -
    there will be an asterisk against the 32 bit processes.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

    Jeff Gaines, Feb 1, 2010
  6. True. But most 32-bit apps we deal with don't have that ability.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 1, 2010
  7. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API
    function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit
    process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between
    32 and 64 Bit OS'es.

    I have one last question:

    Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?

    Thank you

    Nobody, Feb 1, 2010
  8. Nobody

    Tom Guest

    > Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
    > \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an
    > x64 system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit.
    > (yeah, right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
    >
    > Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
    > directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading
    > as the system32 directory.

    I noticed that as well when checking task manager. Interestingly, the file
    versions numbers are exactly the same, despite the variances in the sizes of
    those files.

    Tom, Feb 1, 2010
  9. Nobody

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Only notepad.exe in \windows\syswow64 is 32-bit.
    All the rest (start menu, \windows and \windows\system32) are 64-bit.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 2, 2010
  10. Yes, the version numbers are the same, since they're driven by the build
    number.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 2, 2010
  11. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    Nobody, Feb 2, 2010
  12. Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2010
  13. Nobody

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
    > Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions is
    > 32 or 64 Bits?

    The Notepad that runs from the start menu is 64-bit.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 3, 2010
  14. Nobody

    Tom Guest

    Yes, but the file sizes are different. Not really anything to investigate, I
    just find it interesting.

    Tom, Feb 3, 2010