    go a long way to improving things. But that isn't likely to happen,
    it's not the Japanese way.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Nikon-cuts-out-independent-service-companies
    RichA, Mar 13, 2012

  2. RichA

    Bryan Guest

    Re: Is Nikon full of s---? (Independent repair facilities)

    RichA wrote:
    >  I wonder.  Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
    > cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc.  Yet, we
    > still see thousands of independent repair shops today.  Perhaps Nikon
    > is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

    [...]

    Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
    blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
    big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.
    Bryan, Mar 13, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 13, 3:14 am, Bryan <> wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    > >  I wonder.  Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
    > > cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc.  Yet, we
    > > still see thousands of independent repair shops today.  Perhaps Nikon
    > > is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

    > [...]
    >
    > Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
    > blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
    > big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.

    So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
    Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
    of their business on Nikon out of business.
    RichA, Mar 13, 2012
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Mar 13, 3:14 am, Bryan <> wrote:
    >> RichA wrote:
    >> >  I wonder.  Automotive shops faced this starting in the early 1980's,
    >> > cars became more sophisticated with computer control, etc.  Yet, we
    >> > still see thousands of independent repair shops today.  Perhaps Nikon
    >> > is worried that the old men who man some are not capable of learning

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> Does it dawn on you, RichA, to devote ten minutes to an issue before
    >> blessing this newsgroup with your insights? Big photo is years behind
    >> big auto in putting the squeeze on independent repair shops.

    >So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
    >Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
    >of their business on Nikon out of business.

    There is no sign of this happening in Europe. I would be concerned if
    it did, because camera repairs are one of the better performing parts
    of our business and we currently have no problems buying Nikon parts.

    Is it perhaps connected with Nikon USA's long-standing paranoia about
    grey imports as a means of ensuring that they cannot be repaired?
    Bruce, Mar 13, 2012
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/13/2012 11:14 PM, Rich wrote:
    > Bruce<> wrote in
    >
    >> RichA<> wrote:

    > 1980's,

    > Nikon

    > learning

    >>> So there are no more independent automotive repair shops today?
    >>> Nikon's broad-brush here will basically put any shops that base most
    >>> of their business on Nikon out of business.

    >> There is no sign of this happening in Europe. I would be concerned if
    >> it did, because camera repairs are one of the better performing parts
    >> of our business and we currently have no problems buying Nikon parts.
    >>
    >> Is it perhaps connected with Nikon USA's long-standing paranoia about
    >> grey imports as a means of ensuring that they cannot be repaired?
    >>

    > Kind of late to the game in the U.S. for that. They've had grey market
    > stuff in the U.S. for decades. None in Canada that I know of.

    For you not to hear of something is not the least bit unusual:

    "In particular, Canada seems to be a real stickler with not wanting to
    repair anything that wasn't purchased through them (a real problem due
    to the proximity of US camera shops to many Canadians).
    "

    Thom Hogan doesn't usually talk about something that is not a problem.

    <http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 18, 2012