    Is it necessary to obtain the CompTIA Network+ certification to be an
    effective MCSA?

    Scott
    Scott, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Scott

    dsa1971 Guest

    I'm no MCSA but I think I can give a good answer. I don't think it's
    necessary but IMO understanding the material covered in Network+ provides a
    good solid vendor-neutral view of networking and that can't be a bad thing.
    Network+ is not necessary to be a good MCSA but having the knowlege covered
    in it is. I'm currently studying for my A+ certification and plan will be
    pursuing my Network+ certification after that.

    dsa1971, Aug 29, 2005

  3. If I am not completely confused, A+/Network+ covers much the same ground as
    exam: 70-216 "Implementing and Administering a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network
    Infrastructure." Those can be used in place of 70-216 to become a MCSA. I
    am sure that Network+ (what I have studied of it) has no details of Windows
    2000 specific information. But it has all sorts of information that it
    requires about LANs, Ip addresses etc.
    Thanks,
    Tom Miller
    --
    see: www.chatnfiles.com for old dos or other ancient computer files. for web
    dev try: www.w3schools.com

    Tom Miller, certified optimist, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Scott

    William Guest

    Network+ is all about basic networking tasks and information. It covers the
    OSI model, different protocol stacks and go into detail on using netstat,
    nbtstat, arp, etc...

    Most of the information covered in Network+ I have put to practical
    application in my job. If you aren't that strong on your understanding of
    exectly how a little packet of data gets from your web browser to a remote
    web server and back again, I would recommend it. Strong foundations make for
    easier and better troubleshooting.

    William, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Scott

    Blackmetal Guest

    Well, not really..

    70-216 is a very difficult exam and is not to generic as CompTIA Network+. I
    was studying for both a year ago and they have a couple of topics that might
    be considered similar, but even though 70-216 is deeper than Network+

    70-216 is very specific in DNS, DHCP, PKI, CA, IP routing

    Blackmetal, Sep 29, 2005