Is Netflix Scamming You with "Very Long Wait" on everything?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by notspam9999@yahoo.com, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Guest

    This past week I noticed Netflix took twice as long as usual to fill
    an order. In the meantime they announced a price increase. Then they
    did their usual 18th of the month billing on my card. Then, all of a
    sudden, all 130 items in my queue are "very long wait"--when before
    only 1 or 2 items were "very long wait" and all the rest were marked
    "available now." I tend to order the most obscure stuff that's always
    available. As a test I clicked on some totally obscure Scandinavian
    and Russian films just to see what would happen--AND EVERY SINGLE ONE
    IS COMING UP "VERY LONG WAIT"!!!!!!

    They don't give refunds for unused parts of the month, so now they've
    billed my account and have all my rentals in suspension, in effect.
    Thus, it looks like they're just billing me to get back what they lost
    on me (I get stuff back to them fast) and hope I'll just cancel and
    write off the $21.15.

    I've written their help center for response, but barring that, should
    I call VISA and demand a reversal of the charge in case I cancel. This
    is outrageous.

    -kevin

    , Apr 19, 2004

  2. SoHillsGuy Guest

    Perhaps in a glitch in the system somewhere, even in just your account?

    None of the movies in my queue are marked "very long wait."

    SoHillsGuy, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Manda Guest

    () wrote:

    > Then, all of a
    > sudden, all 130 items in my queue are "very long wait"--when before
    > only 1 or 2 items were "very long wait" and all the rest were marked
    > "available now." I tend to order the most obscure stuff that's always
    > available. As a test I clicked on some totally obscure Scandinavian
    > and Russian films just to see what would happen--AND EVERY SINGLE ONE
    > IS COMING UP "VERY LONG WAIT"!!!!!!

    Ahh.. so it's not just me. My queue's been like that since Saturday
    morning. One of my discs is due to arrive at the DC tomorrow. I guess then
    I'll be able to see if this is just a website glitch (and my next DVD gets
    sent out as usual) or if it's system-wide. I've e-mailed customer support
    too.

    Manda

    Manda, Apr 19, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    (SoHillsGuy) wrote:

    > None of the movies in my queue are marked "very long wait."

    Same here. Well, at least the ones that weren't marked that way weeks
    ago.

    Reginald Dwight, Apr 19, 2004
  5. kjw Guest

    On 19 Apr 2004 09:26:55 -0700,
    () wrote:

    >This past week I noticed Netflix took twice as long as usual to fill
    >an order. In the meantime they announced a price increase. Then they
    >did their usual 18th of the month billing on my card. Then, all of a
    >sudden, all 130 items in my queue are "very long wait"--when before
    >only 1 or 2 items were "very long wait" and all the rest were marked
    >"available now." I tend to order the most obscure stuff that's always
    >available. As a test I clicked on some totally obscure Scandinavian
    >and Russian films just to see what would happen--AND EVERY SINGLE ONE
    >IS COMING UP "VERY LONG WAIT"!!!!!!
    >
    >They don't give refunds for unused parts of the month, so now they've
    >billed my account and have all my rentals in suspension, in effect.
    >Thus, it looks like they're just billing me to get back what they lost
    >on me (I get stuff back to them fast) and hope I'll just cancel and
    >write off the $21.15.
    >
    >I've written their help center for response, but barring that, should
    >I call VISA and demand a reversal of the charge in case I cancel. This
    >is outrageous.
    >
    >-kevin

    I find that even with a "very long wait" movie as my first in queue, I
    usually still get that movie shipped to me as soon as they get one of
    my titles back. I think that it is simply a ratio of the number of
    accounts that have a particular title in their queue and the number of
    copies that Netflix has of a movie. It doesn't, of course, take into
    consideration that a lot of people may have the max number of movies
    out and won't be shipped that title.

    Did that make any sense? Well, I know what I mean, even if I can't
    articulate it very well today.

    kjw, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Korey Kross Guest

    Although it's new and in its infant stages, check out www.gameznflix.com.
    They offer movies and video games for $18.50. They also offer a buy 12
    months, get two for free for $222. This allows you to have 6 movies/games
    out for $15.50/month.

    Since I signed up, I have received 4 movies (2-3 days mailing) and 2 PS2
    games.

    Korey Kross, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Song of Joy Guest

    One advantage I see immediately over Netflix is that they're open 7
    days a week, 24 hours a day, which Netflix is not. If a disc arrives on
    Friday at Netflix, it's likely to be held in limbo over the weekend before
    they notify you of receipt. Netflix's small print says "business day", i.e.
    Monday through Fridays only. I often get "We received" emails the
    first thing in the mornings, meaning that they actually received the disc
    in the mail the day before but let it sit there until the following business
    day. I hope Gamezflix takes off and I hope Netflix has lots of competition
    from other rental places in the future.
    --
    *Carol* ~ ~ ~ Visit my humor & parody website, all new Fridays.
    Current week: Rainyscope's guest astrologer is Charlie Chan;

    :

    Song of Joy, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Michael R Guest

    If you turn around DVDs quickly you get wait listed. If you hang on to DVDs
    for awhile you move to their short or no wait list.

    Michael R, Apr 20, 2004
  9. luminos Guest

    > Although it's new and in its infant stages, check out www.gameznflix.com.
    > They offer movies and video games for $18.50. They also offer a buy 12
    > months, get two for free for $222. This allows you to have 6 movies/games
    > out for $15.50/month.
    >
    > Since I signed up, I have received 4 movies (2-3 days mailing) and 2 PS2
    > games.

    Their web site is horribly slow (and I am on T-1) and is not worth paying
    slightly less for...there are far fewer bells and whistles.

    luminos, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Song of Joy
    <> wrote:

    > One advantage I see immediately over Netflix is that they're open 7
    > days a week, 24 hours a day, which Netflix is not. If a disc arrives on
    > Friday at Netflix, it's likely to be held in limbo over the weekend before
    > they notify you of receipt. Netflix's small print says "business day", i.e.
    > Monday through Fridays only. I often get "We received" emails the
    > first thing in the mornings, meaning that they actually received the disc
    > in the mail the day before but let it sit there until the following business
    > day. I hope Gamezflix takes off and I hope Netflix has lots of competition
    > from other rental places in the future.

    Gamezflix is open 6 days a week, as I doubt they're mailing or
    recieving anything on Sunday.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Korey Kross Guest

    According to their support, now that the games portion has been integrated
    with the movies, they are focusing their attention on user friendly aspects
    and speed.

    Korey Kross, Apr 20, 2004
  12. "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message

    > Gamezflix is open 6 days a week, as I doubt they're mailing or
    > recieving anything on Sunday.

    True. But that raises an interesting prospect that perhaps Netflix will
    expand to 6 day work weeks in order to stay competitive. Right now Netflix
    isn't just the 800lb gorilla; it's a 5-star 800lb gorilla. I haven't had a
    second-thought about leaving Netflix over the price increase. I still save
    tons o' money w/Netflix. But some competition would do them some good and I
    think adding services such as video game rentals and 6 day service are
    something they should be looking at.

    ICEBREAKER
    "Marcy, I'm trying to put some excitement and spontaneity back into our
    sex-life. Actually, I'm trying to put Al back into our sex-life."

    "Remember Peggy, men are like little boys-you have to make sex naughty,
    filthy and degrading. The way they like it."

    The Best Little Icebreaker In Texas, Apr 20, 2004
  13. "Michael R" <> wrote in message
    > If you turn around DVDs quickly you get wait listed. If you hang on to

    DVDs
    > for awhile you move to their short or no wait list.

    Can we classify this as an urban legend?

    That kind of logic is self-defeating. I turn around DVDs quickly. I'll get
    two shipments within a week normally, and generally receive discs on
    Wednesday and Saturday if I plan it right and i've never been wait-listed.
    By hanging on to DVDs, as you suggest, you defeat the purpose of using
    Netflix. If you're gonna do that, ya might as well use Blockbuster.

    The Best Little Icebreaker In Texas, Apr 20, 2004
  14. <> wrote in message
    > This past week I noticed Netflix took twice as long as usual to fill
    > an order. In the meantime they announced a price increase. Then they
    > did their usual 18th of the month billing on my card. Then, all of a
    > sudden, all 130 items in my queue are "very long wait"--when before
    > only 1 or 2 items were "very long wait" and all the rest were marked
    > "available now." I tend to order the most obscure stuff that's always
    > available. As a test I clicked on some totally obscure Scandinavian
    > and Russian films just to see what would happen--AND EVERY SINGLE ONE
    > IS COMING UP "VERY LONG WAIT"!!!!!!

    I've had that happen before, but it was around 3:00 am. I figured it was
    server mainenance issues. Hasn't happened since.

    The Best Little Icebreaker In Texas, Apr 20, 2004
  15. In article <%E_gc.57713$ec1.33462@okepread01>,
    "Michael R" <> wrote:

    > If you turn around DVDs quickly you get wait listed.

    No, you don't. Ok, maybe *you* do but I turn them around VERY QUICKLY
    (mostly the next day after arrival) and I have never gotten "wait
    listed". YMMV.

    Reginald Dwight, Apr 20, 2004
  16. Brett Guest

    Are you employed by them Korey, as you seem to post these advertorials
    for this no-name company to all DVD newsgroups.

    Brett, Apr 20, 2004
  17. Manda Guest

    Manda <> wrote:

    > () wrote:
    >
    >> Then, all of a
    >> sudden, all 130 items in my queue are "very long wait"--when before
    >> only 1 or 2 items were "very long wait" and all the rest were marked
    >> "available now." I tend to order the most obscure stuff that's always
    >> available. As a test I clicked on some totally obscure Scandinavian
    >> and Russian films just to see what would happen--AND EVERY SINGLE ONE
    >> IS COMING UP "VERY LONG WAIT"!!!!!!

    > Ahh.. so it's not just me. My queue's been like that since Saturday
    > morning. One of my discs is due to arrive at the DC tomorrow. I guess
    > then I'll be able to see if this is just a website glitch (and my next
    > DVD gets sent out as usual) or if it's system-wide. I've e-mailed
    > customer support too.

    Update: It was fixed by Monday afternoon, and I got an e-mail about it this
    morning.

    Manda

    Manda, Apr 20, 2004
  18. Britkev1 Guest

    I do love the idea of Gameznflix, that's why I signed up at the
    earliest opportunity. It just turned out that I signed up too early.

    As a startup company, they are having some teething pains. If you
    want reliability, stick with Netflix for the next few months then
    check back with Gameznflix. Hopefully by then, they will have ironed
    out some of the kinks.

    I did however receive my first DVD from Gameznflix yesterday It was 3
    weeks after I had initially signed up but it got here never the less.

    Also, they did completely rip off the netflix interface. They have
    just not perfected it yet.

    Kevin

    Britkev1, Apr 20, 2004
  19. "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message
    > Perhaps in a glitch in the system somewhere, even in just your
    >account?
    >
    > None of the movies in my queue are marked "very long wait."

    My queue has listed _The School of Rock_ as "Very Long Wait" since the
    day of its release on 03/02/04.

    Just this morning, the status of this title changed to "Short Wait."

    Apparently, Netflix gives new release preference to those who rent the
    least:

    http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

    One-Shot Scot, Apr 20, 2004
  20. "The Best Little Icebreaker In Texas"
    <> wrote in message
    > "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > Gamezflix is open 6 days a week, as I doubt they're mailing
    > or receiving anything on Sunday.

    <<True. But that raises an interesting prospect that perhaps Netflix
    will expand to 6 day work weeks in order to stay competitive. Right now
    Netflix isn't just the 800lb gorilla; it's a 5-star 800lb gorilla. I
    haven't had a second-thought about leaving Netflix over the price
    increase. I still save tons o' money w/Netflix. But some competition
    would do them some good and I think adding services such as video game
    rentals and 6 day service are something they should be looking at.>>

    Netflix has already tried Saturday service and abandoned it. Here are
    some Netflix E-mails that I received on Saturday, the same week that I
    joined Netflix:

    Netflix Receiving <>
    Saturday, December 07, 2002 9:54 AM
    We've received: To Catch a Thief -- Rate It Now!

    Netflix Shipping <>
    Saturday, December 07, 2002 1:12 PM
    For Tue: Bulldog Drummond Escapes/ Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police

    The Saturday service continued until January 2003. These two messages
    were the last of the Saturday Emails and the end of Neflix Saturday
    service:

    Netflix Receiving <>
    Saturday, January 11, 2003 7:34 AM
    We've received: Croupier -- Rate It Now!

    Netflix Shipping <>
    Saturday, January 11, 2003 10:34 AM
    For Tue: The Lady Vanishes

    One-Shot Scot, Apr 20, 2004