    able to read those... it just can't read that one disc for some
    reason. Does it sound defective?
    , Feb 22, 2006

  2. On 22 Feb 2006 12:11:06 -0800, wrote:

    >But I know the
    >disc is fine, because it works when I put it into my 5-year old TDK CD
    >burner. I tried some other CD-ROM discs in the Asus drive, and it was
    >able to read those

    Sounds like that particular disc hasn't been finalized.

    Kimba W. Lion, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Hello,

    In my opinion it's very unlikely that the drive is damaged in any way.
    But I am no expert and you should follow this issue.

    What comes to my mind when I am reading your description is copy
    protection. You said this is a commercial CD. Is it a music CD you
    bought anywhere in the shops? Then the author might have built in a copy
    protection so that you cannot use the CD at all or just very limited
    (for sure no copying).

    When you inserted any discs in the past did there appear any message
    saying you have to install a program to listen to it? Then this
    "program" is just a copy protection which hooks itself into your system.
    When it's working it enables you to listen to the CD but controls what
    you are doing with the CD at the same time.

    So, I wouldn't worry about the drive, just about the installed system.
    Most times it's very difficult to remove such copy protection. Have
    another search at Google for your CD and try to find out what kind of
    copy protection might be installed. Maybe you can get a tool which
    removes the protection.

    And remember: When putting in a CD into your drive never answer the
    question whether you wanna install such a "program" to listen to the CD!
    Most times you can listen to CD without problems although you didn't
    install it:)

    Daniel Böhmer, Germany
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Daniel_B=F6hmer?=, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Guest

    It's a commercially pressed CD-ROM (BlackIce firewall), not a CD-R.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  5. ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > I just got a new Asus E616A DVD-ROM drive, and it can't read a
    > commercial CD-ROM disc that I have. When I put in the disc, the green
    > light flashes for around 10 seconds and then turns off, and Windows
    > says "please insert a disc" when I click on the drive. But I know the
    > disc is fine, because it works when I put it into my 5-year old TDK CD
    > burner. I tried some other CD-ROM discs in the Asus drive, and it was
    > able to read those... it just can't read that one disc for some
    > reason. Does it sound defective?

    Copy protection. Some CDs aren't meant to be played on a PC.

    Have you heard of Sony's Root Kit? Google it and be afraid, very afraid. Yet
    it's not the only form of copy protection that's out there. I have taken an
    oath to *never* buy a commercial CD again.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Guest

    OK it's definitely defective. It can't even read the CD that came with
    it (with the Asus DVD software). But my TDK CD-ROM drive reads it
    fine.
    , Feb 22, 2006