Is my controller fried?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dsr@Florence.edu, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
    ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.

    My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
    found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
    not help.

    Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
    drive.

    Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
    bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
    new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
    primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
    the onboard ATA33.

    The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
    upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
    crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
    corroded or loose causing the black screen.

    I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
    the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
    migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
    disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.

    This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
    but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?

    I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
    makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
    master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.

    The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
    select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
    onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
    I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
    improvement.

    Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?

    Thanks in advance
    , Nov 19, 2003

  2. Oldus Fartus Guest

    In news:,
    <> wrote these words:

    | I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
    | ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
    |
    | My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
    | found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
    | not help.
    |
    | Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
    | drive.
    |
    | Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
    | bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
    | new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
    | primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
    | the onboard ATA33.
    |
    | The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
    | upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
    | crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
    | corroded or loose causing the black screen.
    |
    | I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
    | the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
    | migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
    | disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
    |
    | This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
    | but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
    |
    | I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
    | makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
    | master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
    |
    | The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
    | select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
    | onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
    | I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
    | improvement.
    |
    | Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    | ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    My money would be on incorrect jumper settings, and I would think it is
    probably the Maxtor. I don't have one handy to check out, but from
    memory some have two jumpers which have to be changed.

    If you only need to temporarily have both operating while you copy over
    data, then perhaps it would be just as easy to put them on seperate
    controllers.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Night_Seer Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
    > ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
    >
    > My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
    > found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
    > not help.
    >
    > Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
    > drive.
    >
    > Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
    > bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
    > new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
    > primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
    > the onboard ATA33.
    >
    > The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
    > upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
    > crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
    > corroded or loose causing the black screen.
    >
    > I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
    > the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
    > migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
    > disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
    >
    > This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
    > but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
    >
    > I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
    > makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
    > master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
    >
    > The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
    > select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
    > onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
    > I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
    > improvement.
    >
    > Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    > ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Did you try a different ATA cable?

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:29:08 +0800, "Oldus Fartus"
    <> wrote:

    >My money would be on incorrect jumper settings, and I would think it is
    >probably the Maxtor. I don't have one handy to check out, but from
    >memory some have two jumpers which have to be changed.

    I double checked and used the jumper settings that the manual
    specifies for master and slave on the single primary IDE port. Also
    tried swapping out the cable. Those jumper settings by the way worked
    once. The system will just not recognize a slave ofn the primary IDE
    port.

    >If you only need to temporarily have both operating while you copy over
    >data, then perhaps it would be just as easy to put them on seperate
    >controllers.

    Reset both drives to master and put the Maxtor drive over on the
    secondary IDE port with a different cable. Got everything moved over
    and am now booting off the faster Maxtor now. Thanks!

    I am still concerned about the controller since it has had a couple
    intermitant failures any ideas on testing it?
    , Nov 19, 2003
  5. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    dot com> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and an
    >> ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS not
    >> found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but that did
    >> not help.
    >>
    >> Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the Phoenix
    >> bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I formated the
    >> new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive works great as a
    >> primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25 percent faster with just
    >> the onboard ATA33.
    >>
    >> The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed jumper)
    >> upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it did not
    >> crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have been
    >> corroded or loose causing the black screen.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
    >> the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning on
    >> migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure before
    >> disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
    >>
    >> This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
    >> but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
    >>
    >> I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
    >> makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as primary
    >> master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer detected.
    >>
    >> The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
    >> select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
    >> onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see if
    >> I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with no
    >> improvement.
    >>
    >> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    >> ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    >Did you try a different ATA cable?

    Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
    controller failure?
    , Nov 19, 2003
  6. Night_Seer Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    > dot com> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have an older P350 system with Phoenix bios 4.0 release 6.0.2 and
    >>> an ultra ATA 33 controller on the motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> My system crashed last week with a black screen and the message OS
    >>> not found. I tried reseating the controller ribbon cables, but
    >>> that did not help.
    >>>
    >>> Went to CompUSA and bought an ultra ATA133 Maxtor diamondmax 7200
    >>> drive.
    >>>
    >>> Jumpered the the Maxtor as primary master and upon bootup the
    >>> Phoenix bios auto detected and installed the drive no problem. I
    >>> formated the new hard drive and installed Win 98. The new drive
    >>> works great as a primary master, it is real quiet and boots 25
    >>> percent faster with just the onboard ATA33.
    >>>
    >>> The old Seagate hard drive was now jumpered as slave (removed
    >>> jumper) upon reboot, to my surprise bios detected old Seagate so it
    >>> did not crash hard after all. I figured the jumper pin must have
    >>> been corroded or loose causing the black screen.
    >>>
    >>> I reinstalled the Seagate as primary master removing the jumper from
    >>> the Maxtor so that I could get my old system back. I was planning
    >>> on migrating my stuff to the faster Maxtor drive at my leisure
    >>> before disconnecting the Seagate permanantly.
    >>>
    >>> This time when I rebooted the Maxtor came up fine as primary master
    >>> but the old Seagate drive was not detected as slave?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried the drives in different positions on the cable and this
    >>> makes no difference. Whichever hard drive I have jumpered as
    >>> primary master is detected fine but the other drive is no longer
    >>> detected.
    >>>
    >>> The bios has different settings for onboard IDE support. You can
    >>> select Primary only, primary and secondary ide support , or disable
    >>> onboard IDE support. I tried booting on different settings to see
    >>> if I could get the onboard controller to recognise both drives with
    >>> no improvement.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based
    >>> ultra ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >> Did you try a different ATA cable?

    > Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
    > controller failure?

    The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
    happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
    slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Night_Seer wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:30:39 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    >>dot com> wrote:

    >>>Did you try a different ATA cable?

    >>Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
    >>controller failure?

    > The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
    > happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
    > slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.

    Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
    where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
    to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
    Until I changed the setting.

    There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
    aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
    consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
    anything's been added in that position.
    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:42:51 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    >Night_Seer wrote:
    >> wrote:

    >>>Yup, tried that same results. What are the usual symptoms of
    >>>controller failure?

    >> The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
    >> happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
    >> slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.
    >>

    >Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
    >where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
    >to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
    >Until I changed the setting.
    >
    >There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
    >aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
    >consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
    >anything's been added in that position.

    There does not seem to be a manual setting for recognition other than
    setting the controller to disable the controller, monitor both chanels
    or just monitor the primary channel. I have the setting toggled to
    both. "None" is detected and listed for the slave drive, even when
    one is properly jumpered and connected. The sudden system crash with
    the Seagate drive a week ago left me unacle to detect the seagate
    drive for a while as a primary deive so there is something wrong here.
    , Nov 19, 2003
  9. wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:42:51 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Night_Seer wrote:

    >>>The drive not showing at boot-up is a very good symptom...this has
    >>>happened to me before, but the whole IDEwas kaput, not just the
    >>>slave...I'm not sure ow it would happen that way.
    >>>

    >>Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
    >>where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
    >>to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
    >>Until I changed the setting.
    >>
    >>There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
    >>aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
    >>consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
    >>anything's been added in that position.

    > There does not seem to be a manual setting for recognition other than
    > setting the controller to disable the controller, monitor both chanels
    > or just monitor the primary channel. I have the setting toggled to
    > both. "None" is detected and listed for the slave drive, even when
    > one is properly jumpered and connected. The sudden system crash with
    > the Seagate drive a week ago left me unacle to detect the seagate
    > drive for a while as a primary deive so there is something wrong here.

    I think it's likely that the setting None tells the BIOS not to check
    for the slave drive vs. that it isn't detecting it. You should be able
    to change that to Auto-at least you can in all the BIOS versions that
    I've seen. What BIOS do you have? If I have a similar version around
    here maybe I can tell you how. Or maybe you'll introduce me to the
    version that proves me wrong.

    Reading back however, I notice that you're configuring an ATA133 drive
    on an ATA33 controller. I think if you replace that controller with an
    ATA133 add-in controller (you say that you *can* disable the built-in
    controller) then you'll not only bypass these problems but also improve
    performance of the new drive.
    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 19, 2003
  10. DeMoN LaG Guest

    wrote in news::

    > Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    > ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?

    If you want the old drive as master and the new as slave, you need to
    jumper the maxtor as slave and the seagate as master. What you have done
    is jumpered both as master, something that usually makes the machine just
    hang.

    Also, before running out and wasting money on a new hard drive, you should
    have tried reinstalling your operating system, as it sounds as though the
    OS was just corrupted (probably just the boot files missing)

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 19, 2003
  11. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:41:07 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> Do I need to disable the onboard controller and buy a PCI based ultra
    >> ATA133 controller card or is there something I am missing?

    >If you want the old drive as master and the new as slave, you need to
    >jumper the maxtor as slave and the seagate as master. What you have done
    >is jumpered both as master, something that usually makes the machine just
    >hang.
    >
    >Also, before running out and wasting money on a new hard drive, you should
    >have tried reinstalling your operating system, as it sounds as though the
    >OS was just corrupted (probably just the boot files missing)

    Its not the OS that is the problem. When I powered up the system
    after the first crash it would do a memory check then inform me that
    it could not find an OS. I put the recovery CD in and booted up to
    see what was going on. When I tried to do a scandisk or reload the
    system files I got the error message "hard drive not found". Looking
    in the bios setup there was no hard drive detected. I messed around
    with it for about three hours making sure the connections were tight
    and rebooting. I even took out the cmos battery to see if I could get
    it to reset but I had no luck.

    Comp USA had a sale on the faster 7200 RPM drives for around $50 and
    they come with new controller cables so I figured I would give that a
    try. The Ultra ATA 133 drives are supposed to be backward compatible
    to the ATA 33 controllers so I held off on getting an external
    controller card. The new drive is much quieter and is about 25%
    faster so this was a worthwhile mod if I can get the system stable.
    , Nov 19, 2003
  12. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:47:57 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:42:51 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Make sure that BIOS is set to autodetect-for all drives. I've had some
    >>>where the BIOS got set to None when the drive wasn't present & once set
    >>>to None it no longer checked so never discovered when I added a drive.
    >>>Until I changed the setting.
    >>>
    >>>There are good reasons for setting the BIOS to None for drives that
    >>>aren't present (on some BIOSes at least) but you need to be aware of the
    >>>consequences-namely that it stops checking to see whether or not
    >>>anything's been added in that position.

    >> There does not seem to be a manual setting for recognition other than
    >> setting the controller to disable the controller, monitor both chanels
    >> or just monitor the primary channel. I have the setting toggled to
    >> both. "None" is detected and listed for the slave drive, even when
    >> one is properly jumpered and connected. The sudden system crash with
    >> the Seagate drive a week ago left me unacle to detect the seagate
    >> drive for a while as a primary deive so there is something wrong here.
    >>

    >I think it's likely that the setting None tells the BIOS not to check
    >for the slave drive vs. that it isn't detecting it. You should be able
    >to change that to Auto-at least you can in all the BIOS versions that
    >I've seen. What BIOS do you have? If I have a similar version around
    >here maybe I can tell you how. Or maybe you'll introduce me to the
    >version that proves me wrong.
    >
    >Reading back however, I notice that you're configuring an ATA133 drive
    >on an ATA33 controller. I think if you replace that controller with an
    >ATA133 add-in controller (you say that you *can* disable the built-in
    >controller) then you'll not only bypass these problems but also improve
    >performance of the new drive.

    I doubt it will make much difference in speed the ultra ATA 33 is a
    fast interface when you only have one hard drive in the channel.

    There is nothing else that I can think of other than the controller
    that could cause a sudden loss of hard drive detection. The CMOS
    battery is keeping time OK. I will take your advice and order an ATA
    133 card to improve the reliability.
    , Nov 19, 2003
  13. DeMoN LaG Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I doubt it will make much difference in speed the ultra ATA 33 is a
    > fast interface when you only have one hard drive in the channel.

    No, it isn't, actually, as a newer ATA drive can easily sustain 50 to
    60MB/sec by themselves

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:17:46 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> I doubt it will make much difference in speed the ultra ATA 33 is a
    >> fast interface when you only have one hard drive in the channel.

    >No, it isn't, actually, as a newer ATA drive can easily sustain 50 to
    >60MB/sec by themselves

    This Maxtor hard drive has a 2 meg cache so burst speed will be helped
    some. Drives that have around an 8.5 msec seek time such as the
    diamondmax 8 series typically don't sustain over 30 MB/sec do they?
    The new drive allready trims 20 seconds off my boot time running on
    the ATA 33 controller. Everything runs a lot faster.
    , Nov 20, 2003