    occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
    All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    , Aug 15, 2009

  2. Slarty Guest

    On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
    > I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
    > occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
    > All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    It sounds as though your PC is spontaneously developing sentience and
    expressing its opinion of the user. Report it at once to your appropriate
    government security authority ----- or the Fortean Times.

    Slarty, Aug 15, 2009

  3. Zeljko Vrba Guest

    On 2009-08-15, <> wrote:
    > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
    > I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
    > occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
    > All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    Some or other chat-program that lets others send you sounds?

    Zeljko Vrba, Aug 15, 2009
  4. anders Guest

    Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:

    > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
    > thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
    > again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
    > comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
    computer.
    Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
    When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
    It is most likely interference.

    /Anders

    anders, Aug 15, 2009
  5. Guest

    On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, anders <> wrote:
    > Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:
    >
    > > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
    > > thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
    > > again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
    > > comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    > If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
    > computer.
    > Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
    > When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
    > It is most likely interference.
    >
    > /Anders

    Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
    weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
    I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
    repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
    yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

    , Aug 16, 2009
  6. jc Guest

    wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, anders <> wrote:
    >> Sat, 15 Aug 2009 04:16:48 -0700 wrote pullgees:
    >>
    >>> Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    >>> speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps. I
    >>> thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not occur
    >>> again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal? All silly
    >>> comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    >> If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
    >> computer.
    >> Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
    >> When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
    >> It is most likely interference.
    >>
    >> /Anders

    > Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
    > weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
    > I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
    > repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
    > yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

    It's healthy to be a little paranoid when you are connected to a
    network. But, people with malicious intents generally try to be very
    subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns.
    Has anyone else been on your computer recently, who might have written a
    simple script and set it to run last night to see what your response
    would be?

    jc

    jc, Aug 16, 2009
  7. Guest

    On Aug 16, 4:16 am, jc <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> If you use wireless, you probably have an antenna connected to your
    > >> computer.
    > >> Could be a similar phenomenon as with my neighbor's cellphone.
    > >> When he call up someone it create beeping in my transistorradio.
    > >> It is most likely interference.

    > >> /Anders

    > > Yes I'm using wireless, but interference in the form of a yawn is
    > > weird. It was so clear. I immediately looked up at the banner ad as
    > > I thought it was a gimmick to get your attention but it did not
    > > repeat. I considered a passing taxi but I can't imagine a driver
    > > yawning down his mike and no conversation with base.

    > It's healthy to be a little paranoid when you are connected to a
    > network. But, people with malicious intents generally try to be very
    > subtle and do not announce themselves with things like beeps and yawns.
    > Has anyone else been on your computer recently, who might have written a
    > simple script and set it to run last night to see what your response
    > would be?
    >
    > jc

    No just me. The site I was visiting at the time was IMDB and the
    banner ad running was Virgin Broadband

    , Aug 16, 2009
  8. ~BD~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
    > I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
    > occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
    > All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    Such noises can be as a resut of malware on your computer.

    To save re-inventing the wheel, here is some excellent advice from
    someone I trust:-

    Viz:-

    Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with
    the
    following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for
    this):

    SuperAntiSpyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

    MalwareBytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.com/

    if you wish.

    Download and run the MSRT manually:

    Reboot.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    _____________________________________

    HTH
    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 16, 2009
  9. Guest

    On Aug 16, 2:26 pm, "~BD~" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Last night I was on the internet and an odd sound came through my
    > > speakers, it was the sound of someone yawning preceded by two beeps.
    > > I thought it might be an animated banner ad but the sound did not
    > > occur again. Could I be picking up a neighbours broadband signal?
    > > All silly comments welcome but a serious one would be helpful.

    > Such noises can be as a resut of malware on your computer.
    >
    > To save re-inventing the wheel, here is some excellent advice from
    > someone I trust:-
    >
    > Viz:-
    >
    > Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with
    > the
    > following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for
    > this):
    >
    > SuperAntiSpywarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/
    >
    > MalwareByteshttp://www.malwarebytes.com/
    >
    > After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
    > whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
    > if you wish.
    >
    > Download and run the MSRT manually:http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
    >
    > Reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    >
    > _____________________________________
    >
    > HTH
    > --
    > Dave

    Yes it could well be malware, only the programmes you linked but wont
    run on win98. Anyway I'll run my Spybot and see what happens.

    , Aug 16, 2009
  10. ~BD~ Guest

    wrote:

    > Yes it could well be malware, only the programmes you linked but wont
    > run on win98. Anyway I'll run my Spybot and see what happens.

    <gulp> Win 98, eh?

    Good luck!

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 16, 2009
  11. low Fon Guest

    I am using WinXp home.

    Whenever I connected to internet
    even though I already disable the automatic update and not running any
    software/internet explorer.
    the connection icon (on the lower right corner)
    always blinking showing there are data transfer activity.

    Is this because of my pc infected with virus/spy/malicious/trojan
    ware?

    I already scan my pc with (1)spybots (2) Norton antivirus (3)
    microsoft's malware scanner. but did not found any virus/spy/malicious/
    trojan

    low Fon, Aug 18, 2009
  12. ~BD~ Guest

    "low Fon" <> wrote in message
    >I am using WinXp home.
    >
    > Whenever I connected to internet
    > even though I already disable the automatic update and not running any
    > software/internet explorer.
    > the connection icon (on the lower right corner)
    > always blinking showing there are data transfer activity.
    >
    > Is this because of my pc infected with virus/spy/malicious/trojan
    > ware?
    >
    > I already scan my pc with (1)spybots (2) Norton antivirus (3)
    > microsoft's malware scanner. but did not found any virus/spy/malicious/
    > trojan

    Read this item:
    http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/03/12/bbc-break-law-botnet-send-spam

    Then run the facilities recommended by Shenan Stanley (in the post I made
    above)

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Aug 21, 2009