Is my computer dying? part II

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Zaphod, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    I just thought I would follow up on the results of the good tips I got
    from you good people here in the NG.

    I had the problem where my computer would not finish booting and I had
    vertical lines on my screen.

    It was suggested that it might be the video card. Today I replaced the
    video card and that did the trick. My computer is living again!!

    I am still going to get a new computer anyway but now I can get to some
    files on this one that I want to save. I will put this one in another
    room for a second computer.

    I was looking at two new computers today. My final cost after rebates
    would be about $1,000 for either.

    One was an HP with the lightscribe DVD Writer with 512 MB ram, Athalon
    64 processor, 200 GB HD.

    The other was an E Machine with 1024 MB ram, Athalon 64 processor and
    200 GB HD.

    I kind of wanted the lightscribe DVD but I probably would not use it
    that much. I sould always upgrade the RAM on the HP later.

    My uses for computer are:

    Business - Keeping records using Quicken. Print checks and documents
    (not that much)

    Pictures - I take a lot of digital pictures and make adjustment to them
    and print some.

    Moves - My wife and I were host family to a baseball player when he
    played A ball here in Michigan. Now that he is a big league pitcher, we
    record games he pitches that are televised and put them on DVD for him
    and his family. I record the games on a DVD recorder. I would like to
    transfer them to my hard drive, capture still for the DVD Jewel case
    and label, Edit chapters and maybe delete comercials and record them on
    a new DVD for him.

    Web Browsing - I only have dial-up. High speed not available here
    unless I spring for satalite.

    Anyway, Thanks to everyone that responded to my post and helped me fix
    this one. I really apreciate it!

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Zaphod spewed forth:
    > I just thought I would follow up on the results of the good tips I got
    > from you good people here in the NG.
    >
    > I had the problem where my computer would not finish booting and I had
    > vertical lines on my screen.
    >
    > It was suggested that it might be the video card. Today I replaced the
    > video card and that did the trick. My computer is living again!!
    >
    > I am still going to get a new computer anyway but now I can get to
    > some files on this one that I want to save. I will put this one in
    > another room for a second computer.
    >
    > I was looking at two new computers today. My final cost after rebates
    > would be about $1,000 for either.
    >
    > One was an HP with the lightscribe DVD Writer with 512 MB ram, Athalon
    > 64 processor, 200 GB HD.
    >
    > The other was an E Machine with 1024 MB ram, Athalon 64 processor and
    > 200 GB HD.
    >
    > I kind of wanted the lightscribe DVD but I probably would not use it
    > that much. I sould always upgrade the RAM on the HP later.

    I'm not impressed with the lightscribe. It is monochrome only, and requires
    using only the HP discs (which cost more). I'd rather print labels in color.
    Hardware wise, I'd go with the HP anyway. I personally feel the components
    (motherboard, etc.) are better built.

    <snip>

    > Web Browsing - I only have dial-up. High speed not available here
    > unless I spring for satalite.

    Go online and check to see if Clearwire is available in your area yet...

    www.clearwire.com

    It's wireless (using cell towers)

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Zaphod wrote:

    > I had the problem where my computer would not finish booting and I had
    > vertical lines on my screen.
    >
    > It was suggested that it might be the video card. Today I replaced the
    > video card and that did the trick. My computer is living again!!

    Cool.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Zaphod

    Rob K Guest

    On 13 Dec 2005 19:07:56 -0800, Zaphod wrote:

    <snipped>

    > One was an HP with the lightscribe DVD Writer with 512 MB ram, Athalon
    > 64 processor, 200 GB HD.

    If you mean the HP 640i, make sure it has the latest firmware. Otherwise
    you'll be in trouble with other CD/DVD types.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

    Rob K, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Zaphod

    PC Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >I just thought I would follow up on the results of the good tips I got
    > from you good people here in the NG.
    >
    > I had the problem where my computer would not finish booting and I had
    > vertical lines on my screen.
    >
    > It was suggested that it might be the video card. Today I replaced the
    > video card and that did the trick. My computer is living again!!
    >
    > I am still going to get a new computer anyway but now I can get to some
    > files on this one that I want to save. I will put this one in another
    > room for a second computer.
    >
    > I was looking at two new computers today. My final cost after rebates
    > would be about $1,000 for either.
    >
    > One was an HP with the lightscribe DVD Writer with 512 MB ram, Athalon
    > 64 processor, 200 GB HD.
    >
    > The other was an E Machine with 1024 MB ram, Athalon 64 processor and
    > 200 GB HD.
    >
    > I kind of wanted the lightscribe DVD but I probably would not use it
    > that much. I sould always upgrade the RAM on the HP later.
    >
    > My uses for computer are:
    >
    > Business - Keeping records using Quicken. Print checks and documents
    > (not that much)
    >
    > Pictures - I take a lot of digital pictures and make adjustment to them
    > and print some.
    >
    > Moves - My wife and I were host family to a baseball player when he
    > played A ball here in Michigan. Now that he is a big league pitcher, we
    > record games he pitches that are televised and put them on DVD for him
    > and his family. I record the games on a DVD recorder. I would like to
    > transfer them to my hard drive, capture still for the DVD Jewel case
    > and label, Edit chapters and maybe delete comercials and record them on
    > a new DVD for him.
    >
    > Web Browsing - I only have dial-up. High speed not available here
    > unless I spring for satalite.
    >

    > Anyway, Thanks to everyone that responded to my post and helped me fix
    > this one. I really apreciate it!
    >
    > David

    David

    Most of your PC uses could be done on almost anything, in fact the machine
    you already have may be best retired to do your accounts only (seperates the
    web & it's nasties from the chequebook)

    The 'lightscribe' drive doesn't do anything for me, but then I've found most
    HP drives still going after many years of good service.

    The 'biggie' I see is the 'Video' & 'Picture' editing. For that you need a)
    Grunt b) lots of RAM c) a half way decent Graphics card.
    Things to ask:
    Athlon 64, is it 754 or 939 pin (939 Venice core one of the best bang for
    buck)
    Motherboard chipset nVidia (prefered) or VIA or SIS
    Video onboard or AGP or PCI Express
    Hard drives Pata or Sata, 2 or 8 MB cache.
    Front mounted USB 2.0 (almost taken for granted nowdays) Firewire (for DV
    cameras & better video capture boxes)

    A simple test is to take a CD with some photo's on it to the store and build
    a slideshow with Microsoft Moviemaker (start, accessories, entertainment,
    moviemaker) on both machines.
    Do some experimenting on your present PC first so you have a feel for the
    bottlenecks.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    Thanks, I will check on the Clearwire.com.

    I was wondering if the conponents in the HP would be better.

    I was also wondering how much difference ther is in modem quality.
    Right now all I can get is 2400 KBS using this machine and the phone
    lines around here that always seem have static.I do have a power strip
    that includes telephone hookups that is supposed to filter out the
    static and give better performance but I see no difference in speed.

    Thanks again!

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    Thanks, I will copy your suggestion onto a page with other questions
    that I can print outand take with me to the store.

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    Thanks Paul, I will print out your suggestions and take it with me when
    I go shopping.

    <SNIP>
    >Most of your PC uses could be done on almost anything, in fact the machine
    >you already have may be best retired to do your accounts only (seperates the
    >web & it's nasties from the chequebook)

    Actually, I was thinking of using this computer for my common browsing
    and using the new one for doing any online banking, ebay and other
    browsing that I want to be secure.

    Thanks again,

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    In news:,
    Zaphod spewed forth:
    > Thanks, I will check on the Clearwire.com.
    >
    > I was wondering if the conponents in the HP would be better.
    >
    > I was also wondering how much difference ther is in modem quality.
    > Right now all I can get is 2400 KBS using this machine and the phone
    > lines around here that always seem have static.I do have a power strip
    > that includes telephone hookups that is supposed to filter out the
    > static and give better performance but I see no difference in speed.

    Mom has the same problem with slow dial-up. It's not the computer or modem,
    but poor quality phone lines (probably because she's a few miles outside of
    town). There's nothing that can be done. You may be in the same situation.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 14, 2005
  10. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Zaphod wrote:

    > I was also wondering how much difference ther is in modem quality.
    > Right now all I can get is 2400 KBS using this machine and the phone
    > lines around here that always seem have static.I do have a power strip
    > that includes telephone hookups that is supposed to filter out the
    > static and give better performance but I see no difference in speed.

    Well if you have static then that's most likely the reason why you get
    such a slow connection. Did you try running a dedicated wire from the
    room jack to the phone company connection in your basement?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 15, 2005
  11. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    I can take one of the old rotary phones and go outside and plug in
    before the line comes in to the house. Still buzzes.

    I used to call the phone company and complain and they would say to do
    that to make sure it is their problem and not my equipment. If they
    come out and it is my equipmen, I have to pay for a service call.

    I did this a couple of times and they fixed it but it would only last a
    few days and it's back to buzzing. Finally I got rid of my business
    line to the house and ported the number over to a cell phone. When I
    get high speed internet, I will tell SBC to go to hell and port my home
    phone to a cell phone.too.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Dec 15, 2005
  12. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    Looks like I am out of luck as far as Clearwire goes.

    Thanks, David

    Zaphod, Dec 15, 2005
  13. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    In news:,
    Zaphod spewed forth:
    > Looks like I am out of luck as far as Clearwire goes.
    >
    > Thanks, David

    Bummer. I was looking into it at work for the plant office, but they're in a
    room surround by sheet metal and such. It doesn't work any better than the
    cell phones. So we can't go that route either.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 15, 2005
  14. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Zaphod wrote:

    > I can take one of the old rotary phones and go outside and plug in
    > before the line comes in to the house. Still buzzes.

    OK I see you're stuck. Just like in my neighborhood. No respect when you
    live on the "other" side of the railroad tracks. Yes, I do live on the
    "other side".

    Plato, Dec 15, 2005
  15. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    In news:43a0e080$0$11823$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Zaphod wrote:
    >>
    >> I can take one of the old rotary phones and go outside and plug in
    >> before the line comes in to the house. Still buzzes.

    > OK I see you're stuck. Just like in my neighborhood. No respect when
    > you live on the "other" side of the railroad tracks. Yes, I do live
    > on the "other side".

    Yeah. Me too. 25 year old 'manufactured home'. (Manufactured home, my a**.
    It's a freakin' trailer in a freakin' trailer park!)

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 15, 2005
  16. Zaphod

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > >> I can take one of the old rotary phones and go outside and plug in
    > >> before the line comes in to the house. Still buzzes.

    > > OK I see you're stuck. Just like in my neighborhood. No respect when
    > > you live on the "other" side of the railroad tracks. Yes, I do live
    > > on the "other side".

    > Yeah. Me too. 25 year old 'manufactured home'. (Manufactured home, my a**.
    > It's a freakin' trailer in a freakin' trailer park!)

    Often folks knock folks who live in a trailer. Personally, I've had some
    of the best times in my life with friends who live in trailer parks. Too
    bad you have to keep one eye open to watch for tornados tho.

    Plato, Dec 15, 2005
  17. Zaphod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    In news:43a0e74f$0$11815$,
    Plato spewed forth:

    >>> OK I see you're stuck. Just like in my neighborhood. No respect when
    >>> you live on the "other" side of the railroad tracks. Yes, I do live
    >>> on the "other side".

    >> Yeah. Me too. 25 year old 'manufactured home'. (Manufactured home,
    >> my a**. It's a freakin' trailer in a freakin' trailer park!)

    > Often folks knock folks who live in a trailer. Personally, I've had
    > some of the best times in my life with friends who live in trailer
    > parks. Too bad you have to keep one eye open to watch for tornados
    > tho.

    Heh - no doubt! Any good wind would do...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 15, 2005
  18. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    A Trailer would be a dream compared to the 3 room shack I grew up in
    downin a holler in Eastern Kentucky. Paper thin walls wallpapered with
    the pages from old newspapers. The ceiling was the tin roof with the
    one pot bellied coal stove for in the middle of the living room heat.
    Our best sourse for drinking water was about 50 feet back in an old
    abandoned coal mine.

    Now I live in Michigan in a two story farm house built in 1910 by my
    wife's grandfather. We have added on and modernized quite a bit in the
    27 years we have lived here.

    SBC told me that all they would have to do is replace some part in the
    local routing station and we could have high speed internet. She looked
    at the schedule for which stations that they were planning to upgrade
    and ours was not even on the schedule.

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 15, 2005
  19. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Re: Is my computer dying? part II

    "It doesn't matter which side of the railroad tracks you live on as
    long as you don't live in the middle."

    An original quote by ME! So far thats .....................one.

    David

    Zaphod, Dec 15, 2005
  20. Zaphod

    10_4 Guest

    "Zaphod" <> wrote in message
    >I just thought I would follow up on the results of the good tips I got
    > from you good people here in the NG.
    >
    > I had the problem where my computer would not finish booting and I had
    > vertical lines on my screen.
    >
    > It was suggested that it might be the video card. Today I replaced the
    > video card and that did the trick. My computer is living again!!
    >
    > I am still going to get a new computer anyway but now I can get to some
    > files on this one that I want to save. I will put this one in another
    > room for a second computer.
    >
    > I was looking at two new computers today. My final cost after rebates
    > would be about $1,000 for either.
    >
    > One was an HP with the lightscribe DVD Writer with 512 MB ram, Athalon
    > 64 processor, 200 GB HD.
    >
    > The other was an E Machine with 1024 MB ram, Athalon 64 processor and
    > 200 GB HD.
    >
    > I kind of wanted the lightscribe DVD but I probably would not use it
    > that much. I sould always upgrade the RAM on the HP later.
    >
    > My uses for computer are:
    >
    > Business - Keeping records using Quicken. Print checks and documents
    > (not that much)
    >
    > Pictures - I take a lot of digital pictures and make adjustment to them
    > and print some.
    >
    > Moves - My wife and I were host family to a baseball player when he
    > played A ball here in Michigan. Now that he is a big league pitcher, we
    > record games he pitches that are televised and put them on DVD for him
    > and his family. I record the games on a DVD recorder. I would like to
    > transfer them to my hard drive, capture still for the DVD Jewel case
    > and label, Edit chapters and maybe delete comercials and record them on
    > a new DVD for him.
    >
    > Web Browsing - I only have dial-up. High speed not available here
    > unless I spring for satalite.
    >

    > Anyway, Thanks to everyone that responded to my post and helped me fix
    > this one. I really apreciate it!
    >
    > David

    After reading the many post to your follow up I agree with most of them.

    On the Lightscribe, it was mentioned as monochrome but please note it takes
    a long time as well and yes, the media is very expensive. If you decide to
    do something else while it is writing you may bog down the scribing as well
    as the work you are doing resulting in mistakes and lockups. A super memory
    upgrade would help some! HP has had many problems with their graphics of
    late and since you do photos and recording you chance being a first hand
    witness to this. HP has many proprietarily parts and you pay dearly for
    replacements or upgrades from HP.

    The eMachine has come a long way since Packard Bell went away and came back
    as the eMachine. Still having many quality issues but all PC manufacturers
    have their share.

    I build my own which usually cost about the same or more than if I had
    purchased from a manufacturer but I get exactly what I want that way. You
    may not be interested in this or desire to spend the time learning the tips
    and tricks. I do it for a living.

    Saying all of that, Dell sells a good computer that is not built until it is
    sold. You can buy parts off the shelf and upgrade or repair it. They are
    running many specials here at Christmas time and do at the end of their
    quarters (Jan, April, July, Oct.). I am not plugging Dell but the laptops I
    purchased from different vendors I got the best service from Dell. Their
    servers are tops too (but now I am plugging them). Oh well! Just a few
    tips from my experiences.

    Good luck!

    10_4, Dec 15, 2005