    All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back them
    up.

    thank for the time.
    Ron&Joyce, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Ron&Joyce

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:56:39 -0700, Ron&Joyce wrote:

    >Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than unplug
    >all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and phone line and
    >moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and plugged it in sparks flew
    >out of the computer and shut down. We used a surge protector so I cant
    >figure out what went wrong. Is there anything I can do to get it working
    >again as it is my wife's computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is just
    >a fuse or some thing like that.
    >All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back them
    >up.
    >
    >thank for the time.

    If sparks flew out of it, you've probably got a big problem. How much hardware
    experience do you have?

    "I hope, for your sake, it's not totally fried, but I wouldn't hold my breath."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Jun 22, 2003

  3. Ron&Joyce

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Check fuse in mains adaptor
    It may just be be a fuse.
    Is your machine completey dead??
    Do the PSU fans run?
    If everything is dead it does point to the PSU. See if there is a fuse in
    there.
    If not try a new PSU

    HTH and good luck...... I have just been through a very similar situation, I
    blew a PSU, Mother board and 2 Hard Drives :-(

    --
    Greg Crawford
    **********************

    <Ron&Joyce> typed:
    :: Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than
    unplug
    :: all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and phone line and
    :: moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and plugged it in sparks flew
    :: out of the computer and shut down. We used a surge protector so I cant
    :: figure out what went wrong. Is there anything I can do to get it working
    :: again as it is my wife's computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is
    just
    :: a fuse or some thing like that.
    :: All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back
    them
    :: up.
    ::
    :: thank for the time.
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 22, 2003
  4. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Ron&Joyce said

    > Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than
    > unplug all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and
    > phone line and moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and
    > plugged it in sparks flew out of the computer and shut down. We used
    > a surge protector so I cant figure out what went wrong. Is there
    > anything I can do to get it working again as it is my wife's
    > computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is just a fuse or some
    > thing like that.
    > All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to
    > back them up.
    >
    > thank for the time.

    A surge protector will only prevent power surges through the power line, not
    static caused by a new carpet and not unplugging everything.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003
  5. A blowing fuse doesn't throw sparks. I would guess your powersupply bit the
    dust. Just a guess. In moving your desk you may have moved the 110v/220v/
    switch in the rear of the computer case on the power supply.
    On the other hand it could be any number of things from a loose plug in the
    back of the power supply to anything in the computer that can short out.
    Needs investigation.

    BananaPannaPoe, Jun 22, 2003
  6. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Mcploppy © said

    > static caused by a new carpet and not unplugging everything.
    >
    > If things were plugged in.... would they not be earthed and disipate
    > the static that way?

    I'm no expert (and never claimed to be) but if the item is charged with
    static, printers and speakers surely couldn't discharge it ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003
  7. Ron&Joyce

    Mcploppy © Guest

    I agree, I was thinking about the mains cable though...

    p.s I'm no expert it was just a thought

    <He who doth Slump a lot> typed:
    :: "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    :: intro and listened as Mcploppy © said
    ::
    ::: static caused by a new carpet and not unplugging everything.
    :::
    ::: If things were plugged in.... would they not be earthed and disipate
    ::: the static that way?
    :::
    :: I'm no expert (and never claimed to be) but if the item is charged with
    :: static, printers and speakers surely couldn't discharge it ?
    :: --
    :: slumpy
    :: no more
    :: no less
    :: just slumpy
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 22, 2003
  8. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Mcploppy © said

    > I agree, I was thinking about the mains cable though...

    Dunno if it would help if you moved a mchine across a highly charged new
    carpet and left the mains lead in...it's better for me to unplug everything,
    and move everything separately. And it's amazing the amount of crap I find
    in the mess behind it all. A wee treasure trove ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003
  9. Ron&Joyce

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Here's a wee thought.... You pull your PC out ... take all the cables out,
    untangle them lay them out neatly, plug them back in, put your pc back, all
    cables lie neatly and not tangeled.....

    6 months go by.....

    You pull your PC out ....all cable are tangled in a horrible mess....

    Why does this happen

    <He who doth Slump a lot> typed:
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 22, 2003
  10. Ron&Joyce

    ~¢makey$ Guest

    You can place your hard drive in one of the external cases and connect to
    another computer and problably extract your pictures. I have done that for
    three different people now. Concerning the sparks, it may be your computer
    has a lot of dust in it and moving it settles some of it in the power supply
    across some of the circuitry. Dust will flash when ignited and would be
    enough to see sparks outside of the case. Otherwise there is nothing beyond
    the powersupply that would be able to generate sparks large enough to be
    seen outside the case.

    ~¢makey$, Jun 22, 2003
  11. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Mcploppy © said

    > Here's a wee thought.... You pull your PC out ... take all the cables
    > out, untangle them lay them out neatly, plug them back in, put your
    > pc back, all cables lie neatly and not tangeled.....
    >
    > 6 months go by.....
    >
    > You pull your PC out ....all cable are tangled in a horrible mess....

    Yes!! Every time!! But my desk is a right mess....

    > Why does this happen

    Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003
  12. Ron&Joyce

    Mcploppy © Guest

    :: Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...

    I have never found an odd sock behind my pc (well not yet only been doing
    this for about 9 years) so that means I have probably pulled the pc out 18
    times.... I'm sure I dont have that many odd socks..... Is that really where
    they go......

    <He who doth Slump a lot> typed:
    Mcploppy ©, Jun 22, 2003
  13. "Quit the smart-ass comments" they said, so I forgot all about doing an
    intro and listened as Mcploppy © said

    >>> Something to do with odd socks and disappearing smokeables...

    > I have never found an odd sock behind my pc (well not yet only been
    > doing this for about 9 years) so that means I have probably pulled
    > the pc out 18 times.... I'm sure I dont have that many odd socks.....
    > Is that really where they go......

    No idea. All I know is I spend a fortune on socks and end up with so many
    odd ones, something *must* be going on.
    There's an alternative existance where odd socks search for their partners
    for all eternity...
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    He who doth Slump a lot, Jun 22, 2003
  14. Ron&Joyce

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:56:39 -0700, "Ron&Joyce" <>wrote:

    >Put new carpet in the house so had to move the computer. Rather than unplug
    >all the connections I just unplugged it from the wall and phone line and
    >moved the whole desk. When we moved it back and plugged it in sparks flew
    >out of the computer and shut down. We used a surge protector so I cant
    >figure out what went wrong. Is there anything I can do to get it working
    >again as it is my wife's computer. I am in hope someone tells me it is just
    >a fuse or some thing like that.
    >All of our vacation pictures are on it and we did not have time to back them
    >up.
    >
    >thank for the time.

    Might just be the power supply.
    Meat-->Plow, Jun 22, 2003
  15. Ron&Joyce

    Buffalo Guest

    Probably just the power supply.
    Static electricity built up in your PC would have been dissipated as soon as
    you put the power supply cord back in (at least if you are using a grounded
    outlet).
    I believe your HDD survived. You can always remove it , change its jumpers
    to Slave, and put it in another machine to check it out.
    I would take the cover off (machine unplugged) and see if I could see or
    smell anything where the 'sparking' occurred.
    It's possible that something jarred loose during the moving of the
    equipment.

    Buffalo, Jun 22, 2003
  16. Ron&Joyce

    boy wonder Guest

    One message generated 16 replies in one afternoon. Why can't job hunting be
    like that?

    --
    Tommy McClure

    remove "NOSPAM" before replying