    be so severe. Is that normal for a 35mm camera?

    I would like to return it within 30 days if the camera is defective.
    Thanks for any comments.
    W Gemini, Aug 24, 2003

  2. W Gemini

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <Yh32b.62$>, W Gemini wrote:

    > One of the picture
    > (http://greatwall.dyndns.org/pdr3300/PDR_0027-lg.jpg) I shot seems very
    > strange.

    When you're posting a link for people to check out a photo to help you
    out, then it might be worth your while to make it a scaled down image, as
    long as doing so still allows the problem to be seen. Those of us who live
    out in the sticks and can't get high-speed internet access tend to just
    cancel downloads when they're that big.

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
    Mike Graham, Aug 24, 2003

  3. W Gemini

    fhe Guest

    >"W Gemini" <> wrote in message
    >> One of the picture
    >> (http://greatwall.dyndns.org/pdr3300/PDR_0027-lg.jpg) I shot seems very
    >> strange. The traffic sign on the left tilts towards right whereas the
    >> one on the right tilts towards left. So the whole picture has a triangle
    >> feeling. I might have been shooting a bit upward (have to say I know
    >> nothing about photography), but I am not sure whether the effect should
    >> be so severe. Is that normal for a 35mm camera?

    Looks to me perfectly normal for a lens zoomed back to its wide angle
    extreme and tilted upwards to get all of the tower in the frame. At
    wide angle the tilting will cause otherwise vertical lines near the
    edges of the shot to appear to tilt inward. The cure would be to get
    further back so you can keep the camera level (possibly not doable
    because of surrounding buildings, etc.) and compensate by using the
    zoom to close back in on the subject, or to use a "perespective
    control" lens -- which may not be available for your camera.

    Another option is that several of the photo editing software packages
    available include the capability to make perspective corrections that
    could straighten out the tilt.
    fhe, Aug 24, 2003
  4. W Gemini

    W Gemini Guest

    W Gemini wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just purchased a Toshiba PDR-3300 and am wondering whether it's
    > working properly.
    >
    > I ran the dead pixel test (without a lens cap, I had to use a book to
    > block the lens), it showed 0 hot pixel at default (60) setting, but 1 at
    > 50 and 9 at 30. Is that normal?
    >
    > One of the picture
    > (http://greatwall.dyndns.org/pdr3300/PDR_0027-lg.jpg) I shot seems very
    > strange. The traffic sign on the left tilts towards right whereas the
    > one on the right tilts towards left. So the whole picture has a triangle
    > feeling. I might have been shooting a bit upward (have to say I know
    > nothing about photography), but I am not sure whether the effect should
    > be so severe. Is that normal for a 35mm camera?
    >
    > I would like to return it within 30 days if the camera is defective.
    > Thanks for any comments.

    Many thanks to everybody. Sorry about the big picture. I actually see
    similar distortion on A70's sample shot, so I guess it must be common
    for all small digital cameras. Leveling the camera and zooming in seem
    to ease the problem somewhat, albeit I got some barrel distortion. I
    will for sure borrow a friends' film camera to do some comparation.
    W Gemini, Aug 25, 2003
  5. In article <Yh32b.62$>,
    W Gemini <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just purchased a Toshiba PDR-3300 and am wondering whether it's
    > working properly.
    >
    > I ran the dead pixel test (without a lens cap, I had to use a book to
    > block the lens), it showed 0 hot pixel at default (60) setting, but 1 at
    > 50 and 9 at 30. Is that normal?
    >
    > One of the picture
    > (http://greatwall.dyndns.org/pdr3300/PDR_0027-lg.jpg) I shot seems very
    > strange. The traffic sign on the left tilts towards right whereas the
    > one on the right tilts towards left. So the whole picture has a triangle
    > feeling. I might have been shooting a bit upward (have to say I know
    > nothing about photography), but I am not sure whether the effect should
    > be so severe. Is that normal for a 35mm camera?
    >
    > I would like to return it within 30 days if the camera is defective.
    > Thanks for any comments.

    That's perspective. You tilted the camera up.

    o / focal plane
    b /
    j /
    e/