Is my Buslink external hard drive fried?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Dec 25, 2004.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    of his predicament:

    A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.

    B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.

    C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.

    If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?

    Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    M.L., Dec 25, 2004

  2. M.L.

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage M.L. <> wrote:
    > Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    > connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    > 40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    > couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    > adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    > that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    > of his predicament:

    > A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.

    > B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.

    > C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.

    > If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    > into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?

    > Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    Not enough data. What output rating is the correct and the wrong
    AC adapter? It is impossible to tell anything without this
    information.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Dec 25, 2004

  3. In article <> M.L.
    <> wrote:

    >A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.

    A.

    >B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.

    Adequacy of does search for responsive documents was adequate.

    >C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.

    C.

    >Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    Sheldon Martin snmartinadelphia?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "You know Lady C, it really is sad that even as a bot, you have more
    personality than nearly every AHM reg combined." -- Onideus Mad
    Hatter

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 25, 2004
  4. M.L.

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:34:35 -0600, M.L. <>
    wrote:

    >Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    >connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    >40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    >couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    >adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    >that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    >of his predicament:
    >
    >A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.

    Possible

    >B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.

    Also possible

    >C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.

    Also possible. This would be the most likely of the three
    if the "wrong" adapter had significantly higher voltage and
    drove one of the power inputs for the hard drive. Without
    looking at the components it might be difficult to tell,
    there are a number of ways to power one of those.

    >If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    >into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?

    It's not proprietary, you can install in another enclosure
    providing the capacity of the drive doesn't exceed the
    capacity of the encloser. Some enclosures didn't support
    over 128GB, and I vaguely recall mention that some won't
    support over 160GB, but that might be wrong.

    >Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    Remove the drive and try it in a desktop system. If it's
    not showing up in the bios, check the jumpers. If it's
    showing up but not useable in (Windows or whatever) run the
    HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on it, available from their
    (not Buslink's) website. If it passes diagnostics but still
    isn't useable in the operating system you might try
    formatting it.

    As for the enclosure you might try connecting an old, known
    working but non-valuable drive to it. Again consider that
    is this is a semi-old enclosure you might need a drive
    smaller than 128GB.

    The other obvious alternative is to simply buy a new entire
    enclosure with drive.

    kony, Dec 25, 2004
  5. M.L.

    PC Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message
    > Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    > connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    > 40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    > couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    > adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    > that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    > of his predicament:
    >
    > A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.
    >
    > B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.
    >
    > C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.
    >
    > If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    > into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?
    >
    > Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    Sorry to say 'Fried' electronics have rules of their own, any one of your
    three senarios are possible.
    If the device is at all 'critical' it would be best to toss it as devices
    subject to electrical surges are liable to 'let go' anytime.

    But have a happy xmas anyway
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 25, 2004
  6. M.L.

    Moti Guest

    So what is fried?

    I've got money on the fact that its all fried.

    Thats because both the enclosure and the disk get 5V inputs,
    If 12V went into a 5V circuit with even 0.3Amp, its a goner

    Moti, Dec 25, 2004
  7. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 05:50:56 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:34:35 -0600, M.L. <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    >>connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    >>40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    >>couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    >>adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    >>that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    >>of his predicament:
    >>
    >>A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.

    >Possible
    >

    >>B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.

    >Also possible
    >
    >>C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.

    >Also possible. This would be the most likely of the three
    >if the "wrong" adapter had significantly higher voltage and
    >drove one of the power inputs for the hard drive. Without
    >looking at the components it might be difficult to tell,
    >there are a number of ways to power one of those.
    >

    >>If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    >>into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?

    >It's not proprietary, you can install in another enclosure
    >providing the capacity of the drive doesn't exceed the
    >capacity of the encloser. Some enclosures didn't support
    >over 128GB, and I vaguely recall mention that some won't
    >support over 160GB, but that might be wrong.
    >

    >>Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    >Remove the drive and try it in a desktop system. If it's
    >not showing up in the bios, check the jumpers. If it's
    >showing up but not useable in (Windows or whatever) run the
    >HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on it, available from their
    >(not Buslink's) website. If it passes diagnostics but still
    >isn't useable in the operating system you might try
    >formatting it.
    >
    >As for the enclosure you might try connecting an old, known
    >working but non-valuable drive to it. Again consider that
    >is this is a semi-old enclosure you might need a drive
    >smaller than 128GB.
    >
    >The other obvious alternative is to simply buy a new entire
    >enclosure with drive.

    Thanks to everyone who replied. I'd like to first try seeing if the
    data can be saved. I'm glad to know the hard drive is transferable so
    I'll try placing a good unused drive into the enclosure. If the
    enclosure is dead he'll just have to buy a new one and hope the hard
    drive didn't die with it.

    M.L., Dec 26, 2004
  8. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:47:21 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >"M.L." <> wrote in message
    >> Hello. After reconfiguring his computer and peripherals, my brother
    >> connected the wrong AC adapter brick to his Buslink external USB 2.0
    >> 40 GB hard drive. It now appears that the device is fried because he
    >> couldn't get it to work even after attaching the correct Buslink AC
    >> adapter. The power light will momentarily flash on, but nothing after
    >> that. I'd like to know if someone can predict the electronic outcome
    >> of his predicament:
    >>
    >> A). The USB enclosure is fried but the hard drive is OK.
    >>
    >> B). The USB enclosure is OK but the hard drive is fried.
    >>
    >> C). Both the enclosure and hard drive are fried.
    >>
    >> If the hard drive is OK, would I be able to install the hard drive
    >> into another enclosure, or is the Buslink 3.5" hard drive proprietary?
    >>
    >> Any advice on this issue will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

    >Sorry to say 'Fried' electronics have rules of their own, any one of your
    >three senarios are possible.
    >If the device is at all 'critical' it would be best to toss it as devices
    >subject to electrical surges are liable to 'let go' anytime.
    >
    >But have a happy xmas anyway
    >Paul.

    And Happy Holidays to you too! I'm going to try some hardware trial
    and error deduction as suggested in an earlier post before I give up.

    M.L., Dec 26, 2004
  9. M.L.

    Moti Guest

    Merry Christmas,
    Ho ho ho

    There is still a chance the disk is OK.

    Thats in case the enclosure gets only one voltage input and then
    performs DC-DC conversion internally. In this case the enclosure could
    have shielded the disk from the incorrect voltage.

    If you'd specify the input voltages and power inputs of the enclosure
    power supply and the specs of incorrect PSU used, then you could get a
    pretty accurate prediction.
    These specifications are all written on the PSU.

    Moti, Dec 26, 2004