is MS cert. still paper cert.?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. i just got my CS degree this year and currently working as programer. is MCSD
    worth the time and money to study for? i'll like to earn a cert. that can
    help me improve my skill. (i'm programing in VB.net 2.0) is MS cert. still
    consider paper cert? did it help you learn programing and program in MS's
    prodcut?

    why so many different MS cert. for developer? you got
    MCSD/MCAD/MCTS/MCPD...jeebus, which one should i take? i'll like to learn the
    latest that mean .Net 2.0 so do i just go for the MCPD or what?

    what happen when .Net 3.0 is release? Do i need to retake all the exam or
    can i just take a simple exam to upgrade my skillset to .Net 3?

    Can someone comment on MS cert.'s worth and which cert. should i take for
    ..Net 2.0?

    thank
     
    =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=, Jun 26, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=

    CaffieneRush Guest

    Ideally the MC** certifications should be a reflection of the skills
    you possess in real life.
    If you're programming in VB.Net 2.0 (congratulations on getting a job
    in this market by the way) then you should go for MCPD certification.
    Unless, of course, you've already started on the MCAD/MCSD, in which
    case you should finish that cert and then upgrade to MCPD.

    As for .NET 3.0. There seems to be a consensus here that .NET 3.0 =
    ..NET 2.0 (the runtime and base libraries would remain the same) +
    WinFX. Therefore getting a .NET 3.0 certification would most likely
    invole getting a .NET 2.0 cert MCPD + exam(s) on the WinFX libraries
    (ie. WCF, WPF, WF and WCS).

    Regards,
    Andy

    dotnetnoob wrote:
    > i just got my CS degree this year and currently working as programer. is MCSD
    > worth the time and money to study for? i'll like to earn a cert. that can
    > help me improve my skill. (i'm programing in VB.net 2.0) is MS cert. still
    > consider paper cert? did it help you learn programing and program in MS's
    > prodcut?
    >
    > why so many different MS cert. for developer? you got
    > MCSD/MCAD/MCTS/MCPD...jeebus, which one should i take? i'll like to learn the
    > latest that mean .Net 2.0 so do i just go for the MCPD or what?
    >
    > what happen when .Net 3.0 is release? Do i need to retake all the exam or
    > can i just take a simple exam to upgrade my skillset to .Net 3?
    >
    > Can someone comment on MS cert.'s worth and which cert. should i take for
    > .Net 2.0?
    >
    > thank
     
    CaffieneRush, Jun 26, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=

    Bob Guest

    My take on the whole certification thing is that by undertaking the
    certification you are exposing yourself to what the technology is capable of
    doing. The projects I have worked on have tended to be designed by people
    who have not necessarily done the certification and so have done things "the
    old way" instead of "the new way". Getting certified shows that if you are
    able to design an application then you should be able to use the latest
    techniques. Having said that, there is no exam for the "Enterprise
    Library".

    Don't worry about the MSCD in .Net, it covers .Net 1.1. Go for the latest
    Technical Specialist and Professional Developer exams.

    "dotnetnoob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i just got my CS degree this year and currently working as programer. is
    >MCSD
    > worth the time and money to study for? i'll like to earn a cert. that can
    > help me improve my skill. (i'm programing in VB.net 2.0) is MS cert. still
    > consider paper cert? did it help you learn programing and program in MS's
    > prodcut?
    >
    > why so many different MS cert. for developer? you got
    > MCSD/MCAD/MCTS/MCPD...jeebus, which one should i take? i'll like to learn
    > the
    > latest that mean .Net 2.0 so do i just go for the MCPD or what?
    >
    > what happen when .Net 3.0 is release? Do i need to retake all the exam or
    > can i just take a simple exam to upgrade my skillset to .Net 3?
    >
    > Can someone comment on MS cert.'s worth and which cert. should i take for
    > .Net 2.0?
    >
    > thank
     
    Bob, Jun 26, 2006
    #3
  4. the MCPD only require 3 exams for web or windows developer, is that right? i
    don't quite understand MS requirement...all these cert. by MS is making me
    dizzy.



    "Bob" wrote:

    > My take on the whole certification thing is that by undertaking the
    > certification you are exposing yourself to what the technology is capable of
    > doing. The projects I have worked on have tended to be designed by people
    > who have not necessarily done the certification and so have done things "the
    > old way" instead of "the new way". Getting certified shows that if you are
    > able to design an application then you should be able to use the latest
    > techniques. Having said that, there is no exam for the "Enterprise
    > Library".
    >
    > Don't worry about the MSCD in .Net, it covers .Net 1.1. Go for the latest
    > Technical Specialist and Professional Developer exams.
    >
    > "dotnetnoob" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >i just got my CS degree this year and currently working as programer. is
    > >MCSD
    > > worth the time and money to study for? i'll like to earn a cert. that can
    > > help me improve my skill. (i'm programing in VB.net 2.0) is MS cert. still
    > > consider paper cert? did it help you learn programing and program in MS's
    > > prodcut?
    > >
    > > why so many different MS cert. for developer? you got
    > > MCSD/MCAD/MCTS/MCPD...jeebus, which one should i take? i'll like to learn
    > > the
    > > latest that mean .Net 2.0 so do i just go for the MCPD or what?
    > >
    > > what happen when .Net 3.0 is release? Do i need to retake all the exam or
    > > can i just take a simple exam to upgrade my skillset to .Net 3?
    > >
    > > Can someone comment on MS cert.'s worth and which cert. should i take for
    > > .Net 2.0?
    > >
    > > thank

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=, Jun 27, 2006
    #4
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZG90bmV0bm9vYg==?=

    Guest

    dotnetnoob wrote:
    > the MCPD only require 3 exams for web or windows developer, is that right? i
    > don't quite understand MS requirement...all these cert. by MS is making me
    > dizzy.
    >


    Not wishing to be nasty, but if you are really finding the
    certifications that complicated to understand then you should quit the
    IT world now and take up something else ;-)

    Go to the Microsoft site and look through it carefully, it really isn't
    that complicated.

    If your primary area of work is .Net 1.1 (this is Visual Studio 2003,
    in case you are unsure), then pursue MCSD.Net: (you will achieve MCAD
    on the way)
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/default.asp

    If your primary area of work is .Net 2 (which is what you say in your
    OP) then pursue the new path. You don't say what type of development
    you are doing, whether it is windows or web. Just choose the
    appropriate track from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpd/

    Ignore the Technical Specialist qualification and concentrate on the
    Professional Developer. You will achieve the technical specialist exam
    on the way to Professional Developer (which is why I say ignore it).
    Choose the one (Web or Windows) most appropriate to what you do in your
    day job. Once you have that then you can look at doing the other one,
    and also eventually getting up to Enterprise.

    I hope this helps, all the new certs have complicated things but it is
    a move in the correct direction. If you look carefully at the links
    above you will see that there is crossover between all of the
    certifications, 70-536 is common to them all and is also the core exam
    so I would suggest you did that first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-536.asp

    Hope this helps,
    Neil
     
    , Jun 27, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. LnkWizard

    OT: Paper PC for Paper MCSE

    LnkWizard, Apr 2, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    687
  2. nobody nowhere

    Permajet paper and ink to replace Epson paper and ink?

    nobody nowhere, Aug 30, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,125
    Rafe B.
    Aug 31, 2003
  3. Alexco

    Photo paper - is IBM paper ok?

    Alexco, Oct 5, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    600
    Rafe B.
    Oct 6, 2003
  4. ryanding

    Roll Paper vs. Sheet Paper

    ryanding, Nov 8, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,014
  5. cplvsv

    paper profiles for canon paper

    cplvsv, Oct 14, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    432
    cplvsv
    Oct 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page