Is monitor off setting "sticky" on today's digital camera's

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BeamGuy, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. BeamGuy

    BeamGuy Guest

    I have two older digital camera's, a Nikon coolpix 950 and an
    Olympus C2000. They both have some undockumented features
    that you only learn after owning them for a few weeks.

    One of these, the Nikon, turns on with the zoom at maximum and
    the monitor on, in a way that wears the batteries down so fast that
    they are hot 30 minutes later when you have to change them. In
    sunlight I cannot even tell if the monitor is on or off, so I often wear
    down the batteries needlessly.

    The Olympus powers up with the monitor off, thereby saving
    batteries. I hardly ever use the LCD viewfinder.

    --------

    So the question is, in modern cameras can you choose which state
    the monitor powers up to, and if not which state does it start in.
    I'm looking at compact digital cameras in the 3mpxl range to
    replace one of the above that has a broken battery compartment.

    Thanks
    BeamGuy, Jul 20, 2004