Is Microsoft trying to FUD its way past the NZ government?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Philip, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Philip

    Matty F Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Pamela Jones' respected Groklaw site has this report:
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060301213210833
    >
    > On the face of it this looks like the kind of FUD we saw from Microsoft
    > in the Great Massachusetts Open Document row.

    It's worth logging into Google archives the two salient points:

    1. Chapmann Tripp advises New Zealand State Services Commission
    that the New Zealand Government should be wary of using
    'infectious' open source software.

    2. Chapman Tripp works for Microsoft.

    In my opinion Chapman Tripp are biased and should not be advising
    the NZ Government about computer software.

    I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot
    open with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them
    about the NZ Governments commitment to open source software with
    sensible standards for document formats that don't change every year.

    Matty F, Mar 2, 2006

  3. On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:37:16 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > Pamela Jones' respected Groklaw site has this report:
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060301213210833
    >
    > On the face of it this looks like the kind of FUD we saw from Microsoft in
    > the Great Massachusetts Open Document row.

    We can expect a fight from Micro$oft every bit as dirty and nasty as the
    Massachusetts one. Micro$oft does not want anybody - expecially any
    government - to use either Linux or the Open Document file format.

    Micro$oft, in reality, does not believe in fair play on an even playing
    field, and will actively lobby and spread political propaganda to protect
    its monopolistic privilege.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
    it does all the things that they want."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 2, 2006
  4. On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:

    > I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
    > with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
    > Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
    > document formats that don't change every year.

    What committment is this? When was this committment made?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Philip

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:27:19 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
    >> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
    >> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
    >> document formats that don't change every year.

    > What committment is this? When was this committment made?

    More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?

    I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get pissed off that
    someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform. Rather like a
    car which will not start. Worse than useless.

    Gordon, Mar 3, 2006
  6. On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:09:05 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    >>> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
    >>> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
    >>> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards
    >>> for document formats that don't change every year.

    >> What committment is this? When was this committment made?
    >>

    > More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?
    >
    > I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get pissed off that
    > someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform. Rather like a
    > car which will not start. Worse than useless.

    Indeed!

    This is why open standards (such as Open Document) published by standards
    organisations are a good thing.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Philip

    Peter Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > 1. Chapmann Tripp advises New Zealand State Services Commission
    > that the New Zealand Government should be wary of using
    > 'infectious' open source software.
    >
    > 2. Chapman Tripp works for Microsoft.
    >
    > In my opinion Chapman Tripp are biased and should not be advising
    > the NZ Government about computer software.

    The issue of bias might be debateable, but it is incontrovertible that CT is
    conflicted.

    At the very least, CT should have declared their conflict of interest in
    that report. But really, SSC should have had someone else provide the
    advice.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Philip

    Bette Noir Guest

    On , , Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:09:05 +1300, Re: Is Microsoft trying
    to FUD its way past the NZ government?, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:27:19 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:45:07 +1300, Matty F wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am now advising people who send me Word documents that I cannot open
    >>> with Word 2000 to resend them again, and informing them about the NZ
    >>> Governments commitment to open source software with sensible standards for
    >>> document formats that don't change every year.

    >> What committment is this? When was this committment made?
    >>

    >More to the point, can Windows 2000 open an open document?
    >
    >I care not which platform which one is on, but I do get pissed off that
    >someone sends me a file which I can not open on my platform.

    I specify to people the format that they must send documents and
    information. If they don't I dump it and tell them.
    ---

    Bette Noir, Mar 12, 2006