Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. I've completed my MCSE training, courtesy of my employer. The exams, however, are my responsibility and money IS an issue. All of my experience outside of the training is strictly real-world; that is to say I have very little on-the-job training, so to speak. I am very knowledgeable though, and have no problem building or administrating networks involving PCs and MACs. Can someone please tell me if the expense of the exams would likely be worth it to me, or would I most likely be wasting my time and money?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=, Nov 6, 2003

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Consultant Guest

    will you get a raise if you obtain it? are you looking for another position
    which requires it?

    Consultant, Nov 6, 2003

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    chris Guest

    I believe it's well worth it.

    I completed the MCSE in September, at my own expense. I didn't pay for
    classes, just the books/tests and taught myself (along with real world exp.
    and a home-lab)
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this area has been hit HARD by the
    fallout.

    Well, I started getting calls as soon as I had that MCSE on my rez, and got
    a job a week after whereas before I got *zero* calls back.

    So yeah, it's worth it.

    There may be ways to qualify for discounts on the exams on the web.....look
    around for exam vouchers and stuff.

    Good luck.

    chris, Nov 6, 2003
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Consultant Guest

    your situation may have been timing too, without the cert you may have
    landed the same job. ask your employer

    Consultant, Nov 6, 2003
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    dlw Guest

    Let's say the company you work for goes under because they
    spend too much money on employee training. :) You now
    have to find another job. Look in the paper and see how
    many positions require an MCSE. See also how many are
    looking for help desk people and what those jobs pay.
    That should give you your answer.
    dlw, Nov 6, 2003
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Well, I started getting calls as soon as I had that MCSE on my rez, and
    got
    > a job a week after whereas before I got *zero* calls back.

    You coulda just put MCSE on your resume anyway and the filters woulda picked
    it up.
    Jtyc, Nov 6, 2003
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    chris Guest

    oh, I forgot to mention that the position did require MCSE.

    But I got calls back from several companies, some did require and others did
    not.

    Just get that piece of paper. If you are only paying for the tests, then
    it's like 875 bucks total.

    that could easily be spent on cigarettes, coffee, beer, or name your vice
    ;)

    chris

    chris, Nov 6, 2003
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Consultant Guest

    beer and cheap women!

    Consultant, Nov 6, 2003
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > that could easily be spent on cigarettes, coffee, beer, or name your vice

    Tom Selleck.

    As in, Miami Vice...

    perverts....

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 6, 2003
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Let's say the company you work for goes under because they
    > spend too much money on employee training. :) You now
    > have to find another job. Look in the paper and see how
    > many positions require an MCSE. See also how many are
    > looking for help desk people and what those jobs pay.
    > That should give you your answer.

    These aren't mutually exclusive...I've seen help desk jobs that require
    MCSE. It's the economy's fault. There aren't many help desk positions that
    actually *need* an MCSE to fill them. It's just that there are a bunch who
    need jobs, so why not go for the MCSE's, as opposed to A+/Net+ or MCPs, as
    would probably be required for that level position. Sucks, but that's how it
    is for the moment....looks like things are beginning to turn around though.
    Maybe within the next year or two, MCSEs will be MCSEs again.

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Ken Briscoe wrote:
    >> that could easily be spent on cigarettes, coffee, beer, or name your
    >> vice

    > Tom Selleck.
    >
    > As in, Miami Vice...

    Bait! Tom Selleck played Maxwell Smart in Get Smart!

    Don Adams starred in Miami Vice.

    --
    Fris "Would you believe..." beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Nov 6, 2003
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Tom Selleck.
    >
    > As in, Miami Vice...

    Tom Selleck was in Miami Vice?
    Jtyc, Nov 6, 2003
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Jtyc Guest

    > Maybe within the next year or two, MCSEs will be MCSEs again.

    I don't think MCSE's have ever been MCSE's.
    Jtyc, Nov 6, 2003
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Tom Selleck was in Miami Vice?

    No, but Louie Anderson was.

    Louie "Miami 'Hey, they have Cubans in Miami. I like Cuban food. In fact, I
    like all food. Especially spicy food. I love spicy food. Thai food is where
    it's at. Pad Thai - extra spicy. Wait, why am I talking about food? Oh yeah,
    because I love food so much. So much...so much...so much food. Buffet fit
    for a King. So much food.<drool>' Vice" Anderson

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 6, 2003
  15. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?=

    billyw Guest

    there are 2 answers here.
    if you braindump... no
    if you learn the stuff then yes.. purely for the interest factor.
    the job side of things.. i'm not so sure

    billyw, Nov 6, 2003