Is MCSA a possibility with my current knowledge?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Ian, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    To get certify,
    Self-learning is ok. Go ahead! Buy a Sybex book!

    To get a job,
    Do you think that you can support a company which has 300
    staffs and they have many technical problems day-by-day.

    For example:

    1.You have purchase a HP backup tape drive, you install
    it. Everything works properly. A week later, you check
    your schedule report that shows your backup tape can not
    be worked. You can run it manually but the scheduler could
    not wake it up. Why?

    2.One day, you reboot your computer for monthly
    maintenance. After login, it shows that all your registry
    have been crashed by check disk before you boot up the
    server. What can you do if you do not have a backup?

    Can you answer the above questions? If you can, you may
    find a good job.

    but am a
    >little confused as to whether I have enough skills to

    even begin
    >self-training. I have never worked in the IT industry,

    although I am
    >very adept with computers, having learned everything I

    know now
    >through self-experience. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10

    knowing Windows XP
    >through and through, I would say I'm honestly about a 7.

    I thoroughly
    >enjoy working with computers and find that there has

    really been
    >nothing I haven't been able to figure out rather quickly

    through trial
    >and error, be it some new software I have to figure out

    like MSaccess
    >or setting up a firewall at my home computer.
    >
    >But what scares me is that most of the posts I read in

    this newsgroup
    >are from people currently working in the IT business, who

    are saying
    >how hard some of the exams are. I'd be fully committed

    to studying
    >and practicing on a home network of about 3 computers,

    and I basically
    >just want to know if MCSA is possible with my current

    level of
    >experience. There are many private schools here in

    Winnipeg that tout
    >MCSA certification to complete beginners, and surely if

    this is the
    >case I'd be able to teach myself fairly easily. What do

    you guys

    Ian, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Ian

    Maestro Guest

    I wouldn't recommend that you base your decision on whether you can answer
    two arbitrary questions or not. If you manage to get certified/qualified,
    and do find a job there will always be questions that you can't answer an
    your own and will have to research or seek out help from others. However,
    knowing XP is not a good indicator that one can do well in the industry
    aside from possibly desktop support. If you think you have a knack for
    learning and understanding the technology you probably will excel. Whether
    the exams are hard or not is relative. Those with quite a bit of experience
    will probably say they're easy. Those with lesser experience may find the
    exams a little more difficult. Then there are some people who have a great
    deal of experience, but written test intimidate them. Microsoft requires
    some experience (although not enforced) prior to being certified. You can
    get all the info you need at: www.microsoft.com/mcsa . There you can get a
    list of test required to get certified, objectives that must be met,
    experience recommendations, etc...

    Maestro, Jul 7, 2003