    Jack Barrett
    Director
    College of Westchester
    Jack Barrett, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Jack Barrett

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in
    news:Sbiif.390$:

    > I work for a small Tech college here in NY.
    > Since I am an employee, I get to take classes for free. (Very Nice
    > Benefit)
    >
    > I am not sure whether I should take the Comptia A+ or MCDST
    > classes. I want to take these to work part time at my local Best
    > Buy or Circuit City during the summer when I am off. I have a
    > teachers schedule which affords me this.

    Best Buy recognizes A+, but not MCDST as far as I know. Also, you can
    use A+ as an elective for MCSA/MCSE, but I don't believe any of the
    courses for MCDST can be used.

    MCDST has only been out for a year, A+ has been out forever. The MCDST
    expires, A+ does not. If you seriously want to get entrenched into
    Microsoft Windows I would suggest going for MCSA any ways.

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Hi Adam,

    Thanks for your reply. I think I am leaning toward the MCDST for getting my
    feet wet with Microsoft certifications.
    I would still like to pursue the A+ in the future.
    What is the difference between the MCSE and MCSA?
    They look very similar in the Microsoft eLearning web site.

    Thanks for your input,

    jack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Jack Barrett

    John O Guest

    > I am not sure whether I should take the Comptia A+ or MCDST classes.

    MCDST is Windows XP only. Very good stuff, but it's all about MS and this
    one OS.

    The CompTIA certs are defined as vendor-neutral, however they are obviously
    MS-centric. A+ covers Win NT, 2000, 98, 95, and of course XP. You are likely
    to see questions that would best be categorized as DOS, too.

    These two exams don't really overlap very much. In the end, call Best Buy
    and Circuit City and ask their tech managers what they prefer.

    -John O
    John O, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Jack Barrett

    MF Guest

    I teach or have taught all of them. To answer your last question first,
    MCSA is about 40 percent of an MCSE (three tests), then a generalized admin
    windows environment test (fourth test) to qualify for the cert. You can go
    through a nuts and bolts MCSE track (seven tests) and pick up an MCSA on the
    way - roughly in the middle. It's a useful cert to have because saying you
    have it is better than saying "I have 3 (or 4) MCPs." Nobody knows what the
    latter means.

    Your main question: A+ (two relatively expensive tests) would probably be
    better for you than the MCDST (two cheaper tests) as far as getting a
    repair/setup job with Best Buy and its ilk. But the suggestion to call is
    excellent. I would take it a step further: open a phone book and get the
    numbers of BB and 9 other places where you might get a job, at least ten in
    all. Not hard: Comp Usa, two computer training schools, two or three
    colleges, two or three networking companies, two or three corporations big
    enough to have an IT department, maybe a city or town or two. Get hold of
    the IT guy. Ask him which would be the best way (A+ or MCDST) to get an
    entry level job at his place. This will give you an idea of what the market
    in your area is looking for. You will encounter some jerks who will tell
    you to flip burgers, drive a bus, or move to india, but don't let that
    bother you. The existence of all the jerks in IT is a plus for you: all you
    have to do is learn how to be polite to people and you automatically have an
    edge. :)

    good luck

    Mike

    MF, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Many thanks to all for your constructive input and suggestions! =)
    I will let you know how I make out over the next few weeks as I start to get
    going on both the A+ and MCDST!
    The winter is a good time to slow down, learn something new and apply it for
    better use while I am off over next summer.
    My employer is good about reimbursing for certs and advancement.

    Happy Holidays,

    jack the wanna be hack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Jack Barrett

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Jack Barrett" <> wrote in

    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I think I am leaning toward the MCDST for
    > getting my feet wet with Microsoft certifications.
    > I would still like to pursue the A+ in the future.
    > What is the difference between the MCSE and MCSA?
    > They look very similar in the Microsoft eLearning web site.

    MCSA is geared towards system administrators. MCSE is geared towards
    network engineers. Although neither, I have a MCSE myself because I
    like the title and it looks good on a resume. :)

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 29, 2005