    Jack Barrett
    Director
    College of Westchester
    Jack Barrett, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Jack Barrett

    Jerry Mills Guest

    One is an apple and the other is an orange. It is not a question of one
    being "better" then the other. MCDST is for supporting Microsoft end users.
    It's focus is on Microsoft software as it relates to the PC. A+
    certification's main focus is the PC. If you need both software and
    hardware support skills, get them both. If focus is Microsoft software
    support get MCDST and if the focus is on hardware, get the A+

    --

    Spider

    http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/

    Jerry Mills, Nov 27, 2005

  3. do first the A+. This will give you a solid foundation in any of your future
    Certification.

    Mady Cisse:A+, MCP, MCDST, NETWORK+

    PC TECHNICIAN, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    The MCDST is specific to Microsoft Software.

    The A+ is specific to how a computer runs and how its OS works with the
    hardware.

    The MCDST alone will not ensure that you have the minimum requirements
    that a future/current employer is looking for when they have A+ set
    into their mind.

    The A+, according to www.comptia.org, is the equivilant of 500 hands-on
    hours with a computer.

    The MCDST, according to Microsoft, was implemented to take place of the
    A+ certification exam.

    The A+ will always build a solid resume in addition to any MCP exam.

    In the end, show diversity on a resume and in your skills and you're a
    better employee.

    Taylor
    Taylor, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    Quote Jack Barrett:

    > I want to take these to work part time at my local Best Buy or Circuit City during
    > the summer when I am off.

    You would never make a poorer decision in your life. Please allow me to
    get on the rag:

    1. Circuit City will not base your pay on your certifications or your
    experience, they base it on the time that you've been with the company.
    However, you would possibly be doing some in-home work with Circuit
    City along with all of the other technicians. Around 7.25/hr starting
    off. I know enough about Circuit City to also say that what I will say
    about Best Buy will be VERY similar.

    2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy. I'm
    going to keep my reasons quiet why, and how, I know this information,
    but please take my word on it.

    So, you want to be a member of "Geek Squad". HAHAHAHA, I laugh in your
    face.

    Did you know that the "Agents" of Best Buy Geek Squad (better known as
    technicians that look like Mormons) aren't required to take any
    technical competency test at all before they go face first into your
    computer and OS?

    Did you know the fools that they have at Best Buy known as "Double
    Agents" driving a Beetle aren't any smarter than the people in the
    store, they're just better at going into someone's home and creating a
    problem so that the customer pays them more money.

    Did you know that you would not only be a lowly
    dressed-as-a-bible-salesman-technician, but if you can't sell their
    services on the floor - mind you away from the Tech bench where you
    thought you'd be all along - then they will repremand you to the
    fullest extent?

    Did you know that being a member of "Geek Squad" requires that you're
    on a retail schedule and not a schedule that is coheasive with most
    normal working people's lives?

    Did you know that Best Buy will try and suck the life out of you by
    demeaning your ethics on sales tactics, make false promises to you
    about promotions, and never give you a raise after working there a
    year?

    Did you know that Best Buy will give you a bi-annual test called a
    ViewPoint survey designed to measure your psychological commitment to
    the company that if you don't give them a perfect score on it that
    corporate will send the store managers an E-Mail instructing them to
    fire you as soon as possible?

    Did you know that Best Buy will measure your performance on an hourly
    basis, every day, completely biased on how the Supervisor or Management
    feels at that very moment?

    Did you know that if you DO get hired at Best Buy that chances are
    they'll promise Geek Squad to you and never put you in that position.

    So, Jack, if you'd like to work for either one of these c0c&suc&ing
    companies, please let me know when you apply so I can laugh at you
    again.

    Go support the little man, your local tech shop, not a company like
    Best Buy who has on their agenda to "Take over the world with Best Buy
    Geek Squad Technology Services" - and mind you, that is a DIRECT quote
    from a paper I'm aware of.

    Enjoy,

    Taylor
    Taylor, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Jack Barrett

    T-Bone Guest

    "Taylor" <> wrote
    > You would never make a poorer decision in your life. Please allow me to
    > get on the rag:

    You sound bitter. Are you bitter?
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Jack Barrett

    CBIC Guest

    > 2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy.

    Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38
    CBIC, Nov 28, 2005
  8. Jack Barrett

    MitchS Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message
    >> 2. You could never be a bigger a$$fuc&er working for Best Buy.

    > Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.

    Yep, further fun pokin at one's unfortunate employment by certain places
    idn't very nice. Horrible, yes, but working at BB alone does not an AF
    make.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone." - F.
    MitchS, Nov 28, 2005
  9. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    Bitter, maybe. I've said enough...

    Taylor
    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Jack Barrett

    CBIC Guest

    TechGeekPro wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 2005 at 1:57pm "CBIC" blathered:
    >
    >> Nice rant but that's incorrect use of the sacred phrase.

    > Not necessarily.

    Huh? please elaborate.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38
    CBIC, Nov 29, 2005
  11. Jack Barrett

    T-Bone Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote
    > Huh? please elaborate.

    Pure speculation, but perhaps Best Buy offers its techs "training" for the
    exams?
    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Nov 29, 2005
  12. Jack Barrett

    CBIC Guest

    T-Bone wrote:
    > "CBIC" <> wrote
    >> Huh? please elaborate.

    > Pure speculation, but perhaps Best Buy offers its techs "training"
    > for the exams?

    Oh, then that would make sense.
    --
    aka
    Doom MCNGP #38
    CBIC, Nov 29, 2005
  13. Jack Barrett

    MitchS Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    >> Pure speculation, but perhaps Best Buy offers its techs "training"
    >> for the exams?

    > Oh, then that would make sense.

    In my experience, BB doesn't offer jack to it's techs.

    MitchS, Nov 29, 2005
  14. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    Best Buy does not offer training to its employees in regards to MCP
    tests except for the MPC 70-282, Small Business Server, for the Best
    Buy for Business sales associates.

    Best Buy does offer the "Geek Squad" training towards an A+, however
    you have to have a GM approval, which in turn goes for approval to the
    district corporate office, and from there they decide. I've yet to see
    that happen at either store near me.

    To call what I have seen as training would be a joke. You either have
    the technical skills when you come into the job, or you just get one of
    the idiot CD's that they make and let that do the work on the computer.
    Don't get me wrong, you would have access to some nice, proprietary
    tools, however when I make reference to idiot CD's, they just quarterly
    reverse engineer AutoPatcher for Windows to have the Geek Squad logo on
    it.

    My theory is this. You go to Best Buy to have your computer worked on,
    you're a dumbfuc&. Top Ten Reasons:

    10. Well, first of all, you took it to Best Buy.

    9. You let a 16 year old who's balls haven't even dropped yet rip you
    off for over $138.00 because you're dumb enough to not know how to
    re-install your own computer and update Windows.

    8. Company-wide they just banned techs the usage of Spybot S&D due to
    the fact that a customer complained that he got that for free over the
    30 dollar program from Webroot called "Spysweeper".

    7. If a tech hates you, he'll put Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus back
    onto your computer and see you next month for another $138.00.

    6. When they tell you 3 to 4 weeks when they're going to send something
    off, it's because it takes them a week and a 1/2 to figure out how to
    make a label with UPS correctly.

    5. If it's scratched, you dropped it and your warranty is void.
    Especially iPod's.

    Just make 5 #1. I lost my creative mood. Besides, Silence of the Lambs
    is on and I was wondering if anyone here was a size 14.

    Taylor
    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Jack Barrett

    Jon Guest

    Actually I would say none are. MCDStT is more precise in that it goes more
    indept than A+ in studying the OS. However A+ contains more info in that it
    deals with the older OS, although the skills covered in The MCDST can be
    used with older OS.

    Jon, Nov 29, 2005
  16. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    Jon,

    Didn't you just contradict yourself?

    Taylor
    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 29, 2005
  17. Jack Barrett

    Jon Guest

    Yeah I did.

    Jon, Nov 29, 2005
  18. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    Looking at the proportion of users that I've seen become infected with
    a trojan that has developed into a virus, or a trojan that will disable
    NAV, versus Trend Micro's Anti-Virus, NAV leads the way in terms of
    infection rate and system instability among users.

    Better put, at the tech bench, out of 20 computers lets say that 13
    have NAV, 4 have TM's AV, and 3 have no AV software at all, at least 10
    of those computers would have a virus/trojan problem that could
    potentially crippled their computers all using NAV. In this scenario,
    I've seen that either NAV has become disabled in its main interface or
    that viruses/trojans detected with TM's AV could have prevented.

    Secondly, NAV is a tad bit more of a resource hog than TM's AV.

    Either way, if you don't get or have a good defense to
    spyware/adware/malware like Spybot S&D combined with SpywareBlaster to
    monitor ActiveX or open every pron email sent to you, most people would
    never ever experience a true Viral attack. Personal opinion, please
    feel free to flame.

    In the end, Yes, I'm saying that NAV is a piece of $hit.

    Taylor
    --
    MCP, MCDST
    Taylor, Nov 30, 2005
  19. Jack Barrett

    Taylor Guest

    If you don't mind, I'll be specific as to what has been reported to me
    as the most common failure with NAV:

    When upgrading from NAV 2004 to 2005, or 04 to 06, and thereafter
    following the EXACT instructions from the Symantec website, I've had
    users report that after uninstalling NAV, as instructed, that when they
    are rebooting after using the upgrade package, Windows will start to
    either "boot loop", go to a stop screen upon loading Windows, or not
    even allow the NTLDR to begin past the VGA GUI screen. Data recovery
    usually is an option for most HDD's.

    >From what I can determine, this honestly sounds like a major problem

    with either a registry defect or potentially releasing quarantined data
    into the system upon reboot before the crash begins.

    I've never had a problem removing Norton Internet Security. However, if
    you use the Symantec provided Norton Removal Tool on Windows XP,
    Service Pack 2, I've seen where the tool will completely remove
    features of Windows XP SP2's Security Center. In more detail, after
    using the tool, you can no longer change any of the three components,
    Firewall, Anti-Virus Support, and the Windows Update control options.
    Symantec refuses to address this issue. In other words, DO NOT USE THIS
    TOOL.

    My two cents.

    Taylor
    --