Is MCAD cert necessary for my situation?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Lance, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Hi all,
    I am a fresh computer engineering degree holder. Currently, I am looking for
    a job in IT area, specifically software development.

    Going through the job recuitment advertisements for a few weeks, most of the
    minimum requirements (for fresh graudate!) are profiency in skills like C++,
    ..Net framework, J2EE, XML, HTML etc. etc.

    By then, I realized that the programming tool/languages covered in
    university are diverse, not so in depth and even outdated. Those in-depth
    stuffs are mostly conceptual and very abstract like Algorithms, Discrete
    Maths, Data Structures etc.

    Are MCAD or MCSD courses & certificates a necessity for ppl like me? Please
    advice.

    Thanks,
    Lance.

    Lance, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Lance

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Lance,

    MCAD or MCSD or Java Cert.. any cert as a matter of fact are to show that
    you have hands on experience and in-depth knowledge... they cover areas
    which deal in practical situations and having experience would help. Not
    that you cant do without it.. you can but take your time.... and try not to
    mix c++ and .NET and J2EE... you can but they represent different
    programming practices... ie the way you program in c++ is way different from
    the way you do it in .Net... unless you are planning to work on migration
    projects... like c++ to .net...

    yes they all give you good knowledge of OOPS but what you can and how is
    different
    --
    Regads,

    HD

    PS: It's all a state of mind...

    Hermit Dave, Dec 27, 2003

  3. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Thank you Hermit for your informative advices.

    Btw, I have some foundation and pratical experience in C and Visual Basic,
    and basic Object Oriented knowledge. I am now very interested in upgrading
    those skills, but in jobless state now, is it worth to stay jobless and
    invest another 3-4 months attending MCAD/MCSD courses and earning the
    certificates?

    Thanks,
    Lance.

    Lance, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Lance

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Hello Lance,

    Yes ofcourse doing something is better than nothing, You might join some
    courses or you might try learning on your own.
    Make urself some decent project and that would involve a lot of areas... yes
    i will be slow but what you learn would be hands on.
    Courses mostly involve a lot of cram sessions and if you have sort of
    practical work on the side... it would probably aid you in job search and
    also your certifications if you decide to do some.
    ..Net is going well in the job market... C++ would get you a job but only if
    you have proper experience...
    Good luck with it and your job search.

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Lance

    Neel Guest

    Lance,

    We both are sailing in the same boat. I'm also a freshly
    graduate in computer science (not to mention i'm jobless
    too) but i'm just done with my paid internship as a
    software developer for .net. My internship lasted for 5
    months (as it was just a projecy based and i'm done with
    my project) However, company was looking for MCAD and
    MCSD certified ppl. At that point i understood the
    importance and noiw i'm shooting for MCAD so i STRONGLY
    STRONGLY STRONGLY sugesst you that you should invest your
    time for MCAD and i'm sure u'll also come out with flying
    colors. = : )

    Good Luck....

    Neel.

    Neel, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Neel and HD,

    Thank you all for your encouragement and very helpful advises. They really
    help me a lot in planning for my next step. I am now more informed and more
    interested in this certification and other advance one like MCSD.

    Oops... questions just popped... this is for everyone in this newsgroup:
    Is there an expiry for this certification?
    How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the exams?

    Thanks again,
    Lance.

    Lance, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Lance

    Hermit Dave Guest

    You are welcome lance,

    Expiry for certification is year after the exams are discontinued....
    consider this... right now 1.1 is mature enough but we would still see some
    changes in year or two.... and if those changes are drastic.. then you would
    have new exams.... otherwise... you will be fine.... dont worry it always
    haunts everyone around.... i have had my MCSD expire in past and they give
    you an year to upgrade to new certification...

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 28, 2003
  8. In news: ,
    Lance <> wrote:
    > ...Is there an expiry for this certification?
    > How long the certificate will be valid from the time we passed the
    > exams?

    Hi Lance,

    "Microsoft Revamps Its IT Certification Program to Meet Customer Needs"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/whitepapers/default.aspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/highlights/announcefaq.asp
    Why did Microsoft change its certification policy?

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/faq.asp
    Will Microsoft be discontinuing the current MCSD exams?

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Dec 28, 2003
  9. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Thanks again, HD!

    Lance, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Lance

    Lance Guest

    Thanks Cindy,

    I've browsed through the sites you provided...even your homepage :p
    Those sites really provide all the details i need..Thanks!

    Lance.

    Lance, Dec 29, 2003