Is Lord of War (2-Disc SE) OAR?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by unclejr, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    According to IMDB (and a friend of mine who saw the film theatrically),
    the OAR is 2.35:1. See:

    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/technical>

    According to Best Buy and DDD, the 1-Disc WS release is 1.78:1. See:

    <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601179&type=product&id=1505329>

    and

    <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=LGE018739>

    According to Best Buy and DDD, the 2-Disc SE release's aspect ratio is
    either not known or "unspecified."

    <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7600679&type=product&id=1505329>

    and

    <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=LGE018801&promotion=y>

    What's the probability that Lions Gate paid for THREE transfers of the
    film to DVD -- (hopefully) 2.35:1, 1.78:1, and 1.33:1? Gawd. I hope
    that at least the 2-Disc SE is OAR. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 17, 2006

  2. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > According to IMDB (and a friend of mine who saw the film theatrically),
    > the OAR is 2.35:1. See:
    >
    > <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/technical>
    >
    > According to Best Buy and DDD, the 1-Disc WS release is 1.78:1. See:
    >
    > <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601179&type=product&id=1505329>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=LGE018739>
    >
    > According to Best Buy and DDD, the 2-Disc SE release's aspect ratio is
    > either not known or "unspecified."
    >
    > <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7600679&type=product&id=1505329>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=LGE018801&promotion=y>
    >
    > What's the probability that Lions Gate paid for THREE transfers of the
    > film to DVD -- (hopefully) 2.35:1, 1.78:1, and 1.33:1? Gawd. I hope
    > that at least the 2-Disc SE is OAR. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

    Just as a follow-up to my own post... As it turns out, the 2-Disc SE
    is also 1.78:1 just like the single-disc release. Crap. Lions Gate
    just lost a sale. :-(

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 18, 2006

  3. unclejr

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > Just as a follow-up to my own post... As it turns out, the 2-Disc SE
    > is also 1.78:1 just like the single-disc release. Crap. Lions Gate
    > just lost a sale. :-(

    For what it's worth, the 1.78:1 re-framing was chosen by director Andrew
    Niccol.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 18, 2006
  4. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > For what it's worth, the 1.78:1 re-framing was chosen by director Andrew
    > Niccol.

    That's weird. I wonder why he would want it "panned and scanned for
    16x9 televisions"? I mean if many scenes were composed at 2.35:1, then
    why would any director want it cropped at 1.78:1?

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 18, 2006
  5. unclejr

    Jay G. Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:36:00 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    >> Just as a follow-up to my own post... As it turns out, the 2-Disc SE
    >> is also 1.78:1 just like the single-disc release. Crap. Lions Gate
    >> just lost a sale. :-(

    > For what it's worth, the 1.78:1 re-framing was chosen by director Andrew
    > Niccol.

    Can you cite where you got that information from? So far, I've found
    nothing on the web concerning the altered aspect ratio from either Lions
    Gate or Niccol.

    There are several threads about this on various webforums already:

    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249463
    http://forums.lgf.com/showthread.php?t=1732
    http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=444535

    Also, there's a "General Inquiries" email address on Lions Gate's website:

    There's other contact info, including mailing address and even a phone
    number, available on this page:
    http://www.lionsgatefilms.com/investors/index.php

    -Jay
    Jay G., Jan 19, 2006
  6. unclejr

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >> For what it's worth, the 1.78:1 re-framing was chosen by director
    >> Andrew
    >> Niccol.

    > Can you cite where you got that information from? So far, I've found
    > nothing on the web concerning the altered aspect ratio from either
    > Lions
    > Gate or Niccol.

    I don't have a firm reference. That's what I had been hearing, but now
    it's up in question again.

    Side-by-side comparisons of the DVD with the movie's trailer supposedly
    show that the DVD is more cropped than open-matte, so it does seem odd
    that the director would want that.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 20, 2006
  7. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Side-by-side comparisons of the DVD with the movie's trailer supposedly
    > show that the DVD is more cropped than open-matte, so it does seem odd
    > that the director would want that.

    Supposedly? Look here...

    OAR (2.35:1):

    <http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9994/lordofwartrl2ug.jpg>

    The R1 DVD (1.78:1):

    <http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1317/lordofwardvd8zs.jpg>

    There's no question about it from where I'm sitting... The DVD has
    been butchered on the left and right sides with slightly more picture
    on top than the OAR frame.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 20, 2006
  8. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Side-by-side comparisons of the DVD with the movie's trailer supposedly
    > show that the DVD is more cropped than open-matte, so it does seem odd
    > that the director would want that.

    Oh, yeah... In addition, it is rumored that Saw II will also be given
    the same treatment from Lions Gate on R1 DVD.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 20, 2006
  9. unclejr

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> Side-by-side comparisons of the DVD with the movie's trailer
    >> supposedly
    >> show that the DVD is more cropped than open-matte, so it does seem
    >> odd
    >> that the director would want that.

    > Oh, yeah... In addition, it is rumored that Saw II will also be given
    > the same treatment from Lions Gate on R1 DVD.

    Saw II was a 1.85:1 movie, according to IMDb (didn't see it myself).
    Altering 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 is a negligible difference.
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 20, 2006
  10. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Saw II was a 1.85:1 movie, according to IMDb (didn't see it myself).
    > Altering 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 is a negligible difference.

    Yeah, I forgot to mention that with my last post. I remembered this
    little tidbit shortly afterwards. There's a big difference between
    reframing of a 1.85:1 movie to 1.78:1 relative to severely cropping a
    2.35:1 movie to 1.78:1. The 1.85:1-to-1.78:1 reframing is about the
    same loss of picture as the old academy 1.37:1-to-1.33:1 reframing that
    we've long accepted for many years.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 20, 2006
  11. unclejr

    Bill's News Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > According to IMDB (and a friend of mine who saw the film
    > theatrically), the OAR is 2.35:1. See:
    >
    > <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/technical>
    >
    > According to Best Buy and DDD, the 1-Disc WS release is 1.78:1.
    > See:
    >
    > <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601179&type=product&id=1505329>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=LGE018739>
    >
    > According to Best Buy and DDD, the 2-Disc SE release's aspect ratio
    > is
    > either not known or "unspecified."
    >
    > <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7600679&type=product&id=1505329>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=LGE018801&promotion=y>
    >
    > What's the probability that Lions Gate paid for THREE transfers of
    > the
    > film to DVD -- (hopefully) 2.35:1, 1.78:1, and 1.33:1? Gawd. I
    > hope
    > that at least the 2-Disc SE is OAR. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.
    >
    > -Junior

    I did not see this film in theater, thankfully. I did, however, just
    watch a Netflix of it last nite. It is clearly not 2:35. I did not
    notice a single scene where the modified AR might have made a
    difference tho (such as - just the noses of two actors confronting
    each other, or one nose addressing another which is off screen)?

    BTW, other than the pseudo-documentary treatment of the international
    arms dealers' parts in the scheme of things (especially contemporary
    Africa), this was an incredibly slow moving flick. Consider that the
    wife is able to sum up, in a three sentence paragraph, everything we
    might have learned about her in the preceding 2 hours but didn't! And
    what do we ever learn of the anti-hero other than what he tells us in
    voice-overs. The essence of his survival (rubbing elbows) is given no
    development at all in lieu of more shtick about a choppy plane landing
    and evidence disposal. Yet, in the end we're to believe he had magic
    elbows!! Also, it might have been of cultural and survival
    significance that his Ukrainian dad would rather have been Jewish,
    after posing as such for the lives of his family. But somehow this is
    trivialized in a vague attempt at humor at a point in the film where
    none is needed!

    What a lame flick!!
    Bill's News, Jan 20, 2006