    my pictures look unnatural. If I buy a new camera, what should I look
    for to avoid this problem?

    thanks

    Anthony Martin, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Anthony Martin

    Andrew Guest

    On 22 Apr 2004 03:51:18 -0700, (Anthony Martin)
    wrote:

    >Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels?

    No, it would be to do with the quality of the CCD and the optics.

    Andrew, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Anthony Martin

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <>, Andrew
    <spamtrap@localhost.?.invalid> writes
    >On 22 Apr 2004 03:51:18 -0700, (Anthony Martin)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels?

    >No, it would be to do with the quality of the CCD and the optics.

    Well, actually, yes, but sort of indirectly.

    The sensitivity of the array is, as a generalisation, down to the size
    of the individual sensor elements. So if you squeeze a lot more elements
    into a certain small size of sensor array, the individual elements will
    be that much smaller and less sensitive (= more noisy).

    But if you have a lot of elements in a large array, such as in a dSLR,
    the elements are bigger, and the sensitivity is not impaired by there
    being a lot of them.

    Many P&S cameras come in a range of megapixels, but, within a
    manufacturer's range, all may have the same overall CCD array size. I
    would look very closely at the noise figures before choosing say a 5MP
    over a 3MP.

    Having said that, technology is improving all the time, so a later 5MP
    might be better than an earlier 3MP in respect of sensitivity and noise
    performance. Reading and interpreting the test reviews is essential in
    my view.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Apr 22, 2004
  4. Anthony Martin

    gsum Guest

    But you're following a thread so it is more convenient to top post. This
    avoids the need to scroll.

    The poster is asking for *our* knowledge. Pointing him at Google before
    asking a question is daft- he might already have been there for all you
    know.

    Graham

    gsum, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Anthony Martin

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:49:06 +0100, "gsum" <> wrote:

    >But you're following a thread so it is more convenient to top post. This
    >avoids the need to scroll.

    Did you have to scroll to read my response?

    Andrew, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Anthony Martin

    gsum Guest

    Light sensitivity is related to the number of pixels just as film
    sensitivity is related to resolution - high resolution film is generally
    slower than low res. film. But, technology has moved on and
    recent ccds have much more sensitive receptors than the older
    ccds.
    If you buy new camera you need to look at the ISO (sensitivity) rating of
    the ccd and the aperture size of the lens. For example, with an ISO 800
    camera and an f1.8 lens, it is possible to photograph
    a fair sized room lit by a single candle at about 1/50th sec.

    Graham

    gsum, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Anthony Martin

    gsum Guest

    No, but I had to scroll to read Alan Cross' response.

    gsum, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Anthony Martin

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Somewhat. As others are pointing out, smaller pixels tend to have more
    of certain types of electrical noise, and noise limits the performance
    in low light conditions. One of the big factors in sensitivity of the
    camera is the f/# of the lens. Look for a low f/#, which usually means
    a large hunk of glass (and higher price).

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Apr 22, 2004
  9. "Anthony Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels?

    It has more to do with the lens (aperture) and the sensor sizes.

    SNIP
    > If I buy a new camera, what should I look for to avoid this problem?

    Large lens aperture (smaller number is better). Most sensor sizes are almost
    the same for a given category of cameras.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 22, 2004
  10. Anthony Martin

    Andrew Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:42:11 +0100, "gsum" <> wrote:

    >No, but I had to scroll to read Alan Cross' response.

    So everyone on Usenet should post messages that have no context just
    because you run a crap newsreader in 640x480 screen resolution.

    Andrew, Apr 22, 2004
  11. Anthony Martin

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <4087ca62$>, gsum <>
    writes
    >No, but I had to scroll to read Alan Cross' response.
    >
    >Graham
    >

    >"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:49:06 +0100, "gsum" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >But you're following a thread so it is more convenient to top post. This
    >> >avoids the need to scroll.

    >> Did you have to scroll to read my response?
    >> --
    >> Andrew. To email unscramble & remove spamtrap.
    >> Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    >> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
    >> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

    ....And you'll have to scroll to read this one. Life's a real bitch
    sometimes.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Apr 22, 2004
  12. Anthony Martin

    Ihor Guest

    (Anthony Martin) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels? I have
    > an older 2MP camera which simply cannot take indoor photos without
    > having to use the flash. I don't like using the flash because it makes
    > my pictures look unnatural. If I buy a new camera, what should I look
    > for to avoid this problem?
    >
    > thanks

    Check out the lens. I have an older Panasonic digcam that has the same problem.
    It's a slow lens.

    Ihor

    Ihor, Apr 22, 2004
  13. (Anthony Martin) wrote in

    > Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels? I have
    > an older 2MP camera which simply cannot take indoor photos without
    > having to use the flash. I don't like using the flash because it makes
    > my pictures look unnatural. If I buy a new camera, what should I look
    > for to avoid this problem?

    No - not directly.

    The light sensitivity of a camera depends on some thimgs:

    1. The maximum aperture of the lens. f/2.0 is four
    times as fast (light sensitive) as f/4.0.

    2. The size of each individual pixel. Small sensor cameras
    usually has not more than ISO 100 with reaonable noise.
    A DSLR you can usually use up to ISO 800 or even 1600
    without the noise becomes disturbing. ISO 1600 is 16
    times as fast as ISO 100.

    3. Image stabilization can give you 2 or 3 stops more
    work with. 3 stops is 8 times "faster".

    4. Sensor technology. Not the biggest issue right now.
    I don't think you can even gain a stop (2 times) by
    choosing the best technology.

    So - if you want a fast camera look for a fast lens, a
    camera with large pixels (currently DSLR only) and image
    stabilisation.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 22, 2004
  14. Anthony Martin

    Tal Fucus Guest

    > > Is light sensitivity in digital cameras related to megapixels? I have
    > > an older 2MP camera which simply cannot take indoor photos without
    > > having to use the flash. I don't like using the flash because it makes
    > > my pictures look unnatural. If I buy a new camera, what should I look
    > > for to avoid this problem?
    > >
    > > thanks

    > Check out the lens. I have an older Panasonic digcam that has the same

    problem.
    > It's a slow lens.

    But the new Panasonic digicam has GREAT Leica lens.

    Tal Fucus, Apr 22, 2004
  15. Anthony Martin

    Robertwgross Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    >No, it would be to do with the quality of the CCD and the optics.

    Not necessarily. Some digital cameras do not have a CCD sensor.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Apr 22, 2004
  16. "Alan F Cross" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > ...And you'll have to scroll to read this one. Life's a real bitch
    > sometimes.

    Please snip irrelevant portions of the message you respond to, and save
    bandwidth and worldwide storage space. It is in accordance with the usenet
    Netiquette. Thank you.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Apr 22, 2004
  17. Anthony Martin

    Guest

    In message <4087ca62$>,
    "gsum" <> wrote:

    >No, but I had to scroll to read Alan Cross' response.

    So the problem he caused you wasn't bottom-posting per se, was it?

    It seems like every defender of top-posting thinks that the only other
    option is quoting the entire post and putting a single reply at the
    bottom.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Apr 22, 2004