    Thanks All,
    Mike.

    www.mikezite.co.uk

    bmyself, Mar 30, 2005

  2. bmyself

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "bmyself" <> wrote in message
    news:twu2e.293$...
    > Hi all Canon users,
    > Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x
    > Converter.
    > Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
    > The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if
    > its
    > useless with my Converters.
    > Thanks All,
    > Mike.

    IS is just a gyro that damps rapid movement.
    It will work as long as your converter maintains continuity with the
    contacts.

    Tumbleweed, Mar 30, 2005

  3. bmyself

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:42:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "bmyself"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all Canon users,
    >Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
    >Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
    >The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
    >useless with my Converters.

    Should work just fine. What you also need to consider is that adding a TC
    causes a loss of stops. 1.4x one stop, 2x two stops. For AF and in camera
    metering to work you need a max combined aperture of f/5.6, so for full use
    with a 2x you'll need to start with an f/2.8 lens.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Mar 30, 2005
  4. bmyself

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <twu2e.293$>,
    bmyself <> wrote:
    >Hi all Canon users,
    >Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
    >Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
    >The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
    >useless with my Converters.

    I use a 300mm f/4.0 IS L USM with a 1.4x teleconvertor and the IS functions
    correctly.

    Chris Brown, Mar 30, 2005
  5. bmyself

    Fyimo Guest

    As stated above IS works correctly with teleconverters. they do slow AF
    aquistion speed if you shoot sports or birds in flight.

    Art

    Fyimo, Mar 30, 2005
  6. bmyself

    Jim Townsend Guest

    bmyself wrote:

    > Hi all Canon users,
    > Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
    > Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
    > The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
    > useless with my Converters.

    The IS will work, but your autofocus might not depending
    on the lens and the camera.

    Some non Canon converters 'might' not work as they may not have
    all the neccesary contacts that supply power to the IS circuitry
    of the lens. Make sure there are 8 contacts on the
    converter that connect the pins on the body to the contacts
    on the lens.

    Note that when you add a converter, you raise the f number.

    The Pro bodies (ie 1D MKII and 1Ds MKII will autofocus
    up to f/8

    The consumer bodies (10D, 20D, Rebel) won't autofocus if the
    maximum f number is greater than f/5.6

    For example, if you put a 1.4X converter on a 400mm f/5.6 lens,
    the effective f number will be f/8. This combo will autofocus
    on a 1D MKII, but won't AF on a 20D.

    Jim Townsend, Mar 30, 2005
  7. bmyself

    DM Guest

    Hi Mike,

    I have the f70-200 f2.8L IS USM and can confirm the IS works in both modes
    with the 1.4 & 2x Mk II Extenders from Canon. Though I have to say the 2x is
    almost useless compared to the 1.4x re image quality.

    Regards

    DM

    DM, Mar 30, 2005
  8. bmyself

    mike Guest

    OK! Help much appreciated, all helpful.
    The lens I intend getting will be f4 300mm or 400mm both IS so, I take-it
    that it will AF ok with my Canon 1.4Mk2x Converter, as I know will then
    become obviously a f5.6 Lens.
    I will be useing the Lens for Cricket, or Wildlife possibly.
    Cheers Guys!
    Mike.
    www.mikezite.co.uk

    mike, Mar 30, 2005
  9. bmyself

    Ron Recer Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > bmyself wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all Canon users,
    > > Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x

    Converter.
    > > Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
    > > The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if

    its
    > > useless with my Converters.

    > The IS will work, but your autofocus might not depending
    > on the lens and the camera.
    >
    > Some non Canon converters 'might' not work as they may not have
    > all the neccesary contacts that supply power to the IS circuitry
    > of the lens. Make sure there are 8 contacts on the
    > converter that connect the pins on the body to the contacts
    > on the lens.
    >
    > Note that when you add a converter, you raise the f number.
    >
    > The Pro bodies (ie 1D MKII and 1Ds MKII will autofocus
    > up to f/8
    >
    > The consumer bodies (10D, 20D, Rebel) won't autofocus if the
    > maximum f number is greater than f/5.6
    >
    > For example, if you put a 1.4X converter on a 400mm f/5.6 lens,
    > the effective f number will be f/8. This combo will autofocus
    > on a 1D MKII, but won't AF on a 20D.

    While this is true with Canon TC's, which tell the camera they are there,
    other TCs work fine with AF under good lighting conditions. I use a Tameron
    1.4x with my Canon 10D and 100-400 F4-5.6L lens and the AF works fine almost
    all the time. Poor light does cause AF problems.

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Mar 30, 2005