    screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

    Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
    dudes...
    bas, Apr 6, 2007

  2. bas

    thanatoid Guest

    "bas" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
    >
    > 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head
    > ache, eye strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link
    > talking on this. But I am not sure how far it is true.
    >

    > http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http://www.cloanto.com%2
    > Fusers%2Fmcb%2F19960719lcd.html

    I'm sure the problems described are true for some/many people,
    but people used to wonder how ANYONE could sit 15 inches from a
    TV (which is basically what a CRT monitor is) and not develop
    even worse symptoms. Some did. Times change. People adapt or
    not. I know people who can not wear headphones/earphones because
    they find it too weird to hear sound "inside" their heads.

    I am sure if someone from the 15th century had to sit in front
    of either a CRT or an LCD monitor, (s)he would immediately
    develop severe physical reactions (ignoring the "machine from
    the future/time travel" factor which would of course have much
    more extreme effects... :).

    Personally, I think LCD monitors are crap and I would suggest
    you get the best used Sony Trinitron you can find made in the
    last 5 years instead.

    Why or why not LCD's are good or not has been discussed to death
    all over the place so I won't repeat myself/others. But download
    this program:

    http://www.programming.de/download/testscreens.zip

    and compare the results after VERY CAREFUL adjustments on a CRT
    and an LCD. You will be amazed.

    > 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some
    > months/year and screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

    A pixel can die at any time. Most manufacturers consider UP TO
    30 pixels "Dead On Arrival" NORMAL. Hah!

    Resolution will not change, however as the link you provided
    above mentions, there is a fluorescent light source behind the
    LCD screen which grows dimmer with time and which is NOT user
    replaceable except in Sharp units which also happen to be the
    best and the most expensive.

    I don't know after how many hundreds/thousands of hours an
    average user would decide the screen has become too dim, and of
    course, you can't trust manufacturer's info on this. I am not
    aware of any available empirical data on this.

    Not to mention possibly the most critical aspect of the LCD
    screen of all - touching it can mean anything from spending half
    an hour with esoteric cloths and chemicals to clean it to
    instant irreversible death of one or many pixels. Those screens
    are NOT glass and are very delicate.

    thanatoid, Apr 6, 2007

  3. bas wrote:

    > Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
    >
    > 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
    > strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I am
    > not sure how far it is true.

    http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html

    It is our thoughts that bias our perception. The frequency of the cold
    cathode tube backlight is a lot higher then the 100/120 hz of a office/home
    fluorescent light (actually as a function of the dc current frequency).
    Since computer displays do have a rectifier with capacitors, there should be
    no overlay of 50/60 Hz or the rectified doubled frequencies.
    Sometimes, just like with crt monitors and movies taken from them, there may
    be interferences with other electronic ac light sources.

    > 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
    > screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

    Rarely ever see one or the other dead pixel, no complaints so far with
    hundreds of lcd monitors deployed. Using them at home for 3 years now and
    no noticeable degradation except brightness which still is sufficent.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 6, 2007
  4. bas

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
    Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
    >
    > 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
    > strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I am
    > not sure how far it is true.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http://www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html
    >
    > 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
    > screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
    >
    > Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
    > dudes...

    I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
    Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
    me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
    uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
    it. Good Luck
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Apr 6, 2007
  5. bas

    Your name Guest

    Old Gringo <> wrote in

    > On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
    > Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
    >>
    >> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
    >> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I
    >> am not sure how far it is true.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http://www.cloanto.com/users/m
    >> cb%2F19960719lcd.html
    >>
    >> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
    >> screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
    >>
    >> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
    >> dudes...

    > I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
    > Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
    > me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
    > uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
    > it. Good Luck

    1. I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for a
    program I had to turn in that At first I used a CRT monitor with a glare
    filter, which helped a lot. I used the computers at the college
    occasionally and they just got a batch of new PCs with LCD monitors. My
    eyes noticed a difference and made me consider an LCD monitor. The eye
    actually decreased.

    2. The resolution hasn't gone down. I haven't had deal pixels yet. If you
    buy an lcd monitor, locally may be better. Check with the store's return
    policy. I have had this monitor for at least four years.
    Your name, May 8, 2007
  6. bas

    Your name Guest

    Your name <> wrote in

    > Old Gringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
    >> Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    >> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >>> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
    >>>
    >>> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
    >>> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I
    >>> am not sure how far it is true.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http://www.cloanto.com/users/
    >>> m cb%2F19960719lcd.html
    >>>
    >>> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year
    >>> and screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
    >>>
    >>> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
    >>> dudes...

    >> I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
    >> Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
    >> me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
    >> uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
    >> it. Good Luck

    > 1. I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for
    > a program I had to turn in that At first I used a CRT monitor with a
    > glare filter, which helped a lot. I used the computers at the college
    > occasionally and they just got a batch of new PCs with LCD monitors.
    > My eyes noticed a difference and made me consider an LCD monitor. The
    > eye actually decreased.
    >
    > 2. The resolution hasn't gone down. I haven't had deal pixels yet. If
    > you buy an lcd monitor, locally may be better. Check with the store's
    > return policy. I have had this monitor for at least four years.

    Oops, meant to say
    "I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for a
    program I had to turn in that day, which was probably 6 hours from then."
    "The eye strain actually decreased". I guess I shouldn't be typing at 1 AM.
    Your name, May 8, 2007
  7. bas

    bas Guest

    Thanks to everyone. LCD seems to be not bad to CRT. Any difference in
    resolution ?

    bas, May 8, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    bas <> wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone. LCD seems to be not bad to CRT. Any difference in
    > resolution ?

    With a good CRT, not really. Although, if you switch to lower
    resolutions, CRT is still a better choice. LCD panels are designed to
    work their best at one resolution (usually 1280x1024). If it is lower
    than this native resolution, the monitor will scale the image to fit the
    screen. The problem with this is that it makes things appear blurry.
    David Matthew Wood, May 8, 2007