Is It Xtra or My Computer?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Hope, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    WriteWord Translations wrote:

    > After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
    > computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
    > outside chance Xtra is to blame.
    >
    > I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
    > can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
    > starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server"
    > error messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to
    > downloading e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a
    > "server timeout".
    >
    > I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
    > difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed
    > completely, or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and
    > downloading e-mails today?
    >
    > If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
    > and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride
    > it out.

    It's probably a DNS issue. Try changing the DNS servers you use to another
    providers and see if it makes a difference. Clear's are 203.97.33.1 &
    203.97.37.1

    Chris Hope, Nov 18, 2004

  2. After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
[...]

    TIA for any help or comments.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.
    WriteWord Translations, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Chris Hope

    William Bell Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:38:05 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
    >computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
    >outside chance Xtra is to blame.
    >
    >I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
    >can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
    >starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server" error
    >messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to downloading
    >e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a "server timeout".
    >
    >I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
    >difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed completely,
    >or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and downloading e-mails
    >today?
    >
    >If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
    >and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride it
    >out.
    >
    >TIA for any help or comments.
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >ROWAN M.

    Dnload AVP and check for Viruses

    www.avp.ch

    AVG is not nearly as good..
    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004
  4. "WriteWord Translations" <> wrote in message
    > After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
    > computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
    > outside chance Xtra is to blame.
    >
    > I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
    > can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
    > starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server"
    > error
    > messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to
    > downloading
    > e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a "server timeout".
    >
    > I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
    > difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed
    > completely,
    > or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and downloading
    > e-mails
    > today?
    >
    > If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
    > and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride
    > it
    > out.
    >
    > TIA for any help or comments.
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > ROWAN M.

    I've had no problems, working sweet as!!

    Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either (not
    that I know about at least).
    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Normality Restored (For Now)

    Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
    operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
    errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
    altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
    marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
    switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
    relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
    were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
    computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
    calm last ...

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.
    WriteWord Translations, Nov 18, 2004
  6. Chris Hope

    Rider Guest

    Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    > Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
    > operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
    > errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
    > altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which
    > was
    > marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
    > switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
    > relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
    > were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
    > computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
    > calm last ...
    >
    > Best Regards
    >
    > ROWAN M.

    I just had 30 minutes or so of Xtra not wanting to log me on to their
    system. Kept trying to tell me my username/password was not valid on the
    domain. Bastards!!

    Rider
    Rider, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    > I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
    > Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either (not
    > that I know about at least).

    it may also be related to this.
    http://tinyurl.com/43p24
    TelstraClear starts de-peering this week
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Chris Hope

    William Bell Guest

    Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:41:51 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
    >operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
    >errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
    >altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
    >marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
    >switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
    >relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
    >were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
    >computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
    >calm last ...
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >ROWAN M.

    YOU HAVE A VIRUS..
    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Chris Hope

    Paul Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    >
    >> I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
    >> Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either
    >> (not that I know about at least).

    > it may also be related to this.
    > http://tinyurl.com/43p24
    > TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

    This URL makes my IP filtering firewall go nuts,

    Connection Rejected: 216.234.186.14 - Thieves/fileminer.com/Tera-byte DotCom

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:20:39 +1300, William Bell <> says...
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:41:51 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
    > >operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
    > >errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
    > >altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
    > >marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
    > >switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
    > >relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
    > >were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
    > >computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
    > >calm last ...
    > >
    > >Best Regards
    > >
    > >ROWAN M.
    > >

    > YOU HAVE A VIRUS..

    YOU ARE A VIRUS..
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 18, 2004
  11. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    Is that your answer to every computer problem, William - "You have a virus"?
    Not every inexplicable computer glitch is caused by a virus, you know. I
    have Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Internet Security and Ad-Aware, so my machine
    is reasonably well protected. I haven't ruled out the possibility of a
    virus, but am more inclined to think the problems are age-related and
    possibly OS-related - Windows ME is not one of the all-time great operating
    systems.

    Another possibility is spyware remnants. I had a most unpleasant infestation
    of malware like ClientMan and several other nasties seven months ago. I
    worked very hard to root them out, but it's quite possible that leftovers of
    the things are in the system somewhere. I've had on and off problems with
    the computer for months - sometimes, like today, it can be really bad, but
    there can also be long periods when it's very well behaved. However, not
    once has a Norton Anti-Virus scan detected a virus, although it has picked
    up the odd spyware leftover. Ad-Aware detects cookies these days but nothing
    else.

    So whatever is causing my problems, I really don't think it's a virus. Most
    likely it's a combo of spyware stragglers and plain old age. My machine will
    be four years old in February. In human terms, that's the equivalent of
    about 80. I'm probably going to need a new machine, but I want to hang on to
    this one until at least the Christmas/New Year break if I can.

    IF it's a virus though, which I really do doubt, which ones are known to
    cause periodic disruptions to browser performance? It's all very well saying
    "You have a virus", but some indication of which one it might be would be
    nice. I remain sceptical however that a virus has caused my most recent
    problems.

    For the time being, the calm continues. Thanks to those who have offered
    thoughts to date.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.
    WriteWord Translations, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Chris Hope

    William Bell Guest

    Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:06:04 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >Is that your answer to every computer problem, William - "You have a virus"?
    >Not every inexplicable computer glitch is caused by a virus, you know. I
    >have Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Internet Security and Ad-Aware, so my machine
    >is reasonably well protected. I haven't ruled out the possibility of a
    >virus, but am more inclined to think the problems are age-related and
    >possibly OS-related - Windows ME is not one of the all-time great operating
    >systems.

    NO IT IS NOT, NOTONS IS UTTER CRAP YOU NEED ABOUT 6 VIRUS PROGRAMs TO BE
    SHORE.

    you should like a teenager that has no clues about a PC and should not be
    using one..

    William Bell, Nov 18, 2004
  13. Chris Hope

    Nik Coughin Guest

    William Bell wrote:

    > you should like a teenager that has no clues about a PC and should
    > not be using one..

    What the hell are you babbling about.
    Nik Coughin, Nov 18, 2004
  14. Paul wrote:
    >>> I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
    >>> Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either
    >>> (not that I know about at least).

    >> it may also be related to this.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/43p24
    >> TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

    > This URL makes my IP filtering firewall go nuts,
    > Connection Rejected: 216.234.186.14 - Thieves/fileminer.com/Tera-byte
    > DotCom

    well this is where it pointed to.
    http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/0088AA479DC43AC6CC256F4600113063
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  15. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    William Bell wrote:
    > YOU HAVE A VIRUS..

    Seeing as you are so sure, which virus causes those symptoms Roger?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  16. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    It seems like Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:06:12 +1300 was when William Bell
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >NO IT IS NOT, NOTONS IS UTTER CRAP YOU NEED ABOUT 6 VIRUS PROGRAMs TO BE
    >SHORE.

    Why would anyone want 6 virus programs? I'd much prefer just one
    antivirus program instead, www.free-av.com works well for me.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 18, 2004
  17. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    That's a good question, Dave, which I've also asked and am still awaiting a
    sensible answer to. I have a feeling we'll both be waiting a long time ...

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.
    WriteWord Translations, Nov 18, 2004
  18. Re: Normality Restored (For Now)

    Nik Coughin wrote:
    > William Bell wrote:
    >
    >>you should like a teenager that has no clues about a PC and should
    >>not be using one..
    >>

    > What the hell are you babbling about.

    English translation = WOger doesn't know dick, again.

    NAV works fine, has automatic updates - I have used it for years and I
    have NEVER EVER EVER had a virus, worm, trojan, or anything similar. But
    then I do happen to have an idea on what I'm doing.

    Remember the great words of wisdom by Woger:
    * TiVO can't work in NZ
    * Nerov6 Reloaded is a hacked version

    Some people just shouldn't be let near a PC - Woger and his imaginary
    friends.
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 18, 2004
  19. Chris Hope

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Jed Meisterdude wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
    >>> Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either
    >>> (not that I know about at least).

    >> it may also be related to this.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/43p24
    >> TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

    > This URL makes my IP filtering firewall go nuts,
    >
    > Connection Rejected: 216.234.186.14 - Thieves/fileminer.com/Tera-byte
    > DotCom
    >
    > Paul

    Its just a Computerworld Article
    http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf
    UNID/0088AA479DC43AC6CC256F4600113063

    Here it is in full

    TelstraClear starts de-peering this week
    ISPs 'forced' to sign-up for commercial offering

    Juha Saarinen, Auckland

    Unfazed by network operator protests, TelstraClear last week went ahead with
    its controversial decision to remove peering at the Auckland (APE) and
    Wellington (WIX) internet exchanges.

    The peering, or exchange of internet traffic, arrangements were inherited
    when Telstra bought Clear Communications. The latter provider saw peering
    as a way to increase the efficiency and value of its network in New
    Zealand. Peering makes it easier for networks to connect to each other and
    brings other benefits such as shorter and more diverse routes. Networks
    peering at one or both exchanges can then decide whether or not to exchange
    data with one another for free or by paying one another.

    Auckland ISP Maxnet was informed on Wednesday that TelstraClear would stop
    peering with it that day at the Auckland exchange. However, as of Thursday,
    the peering appeared to be in place still, as Computerworld found internet
    traffic was routed from Maxnet to TelstraClear over the APE.

    Maxnet network manager Alastair Johnson says the provider regrets
    TelstraClear?s decision to cease peering. The ISP says its traffic will
    reach TelstraClear?s network via Telecom instead of going across the APE,
    but it is not yet clear how the change in routing will affect performance,
    Johnson says.

    Instead of peering, TelstraClear says ISPs should purchase its Domestic
    Internet Connectivity service, so as to exchange traffic with its network
    through data circuits at physical locations elsewhere than the APE and WIX.
    The DIC is priced at $160 per 1Mbit/s and month, plus setup charges.
    Alternatively, providers can exchange traffic via another network connected
    to TelstraClear either through Telecom or international data circuits.

    TelstraClear spokesman Mathew Bolland confirmed that the company has begun
    the ?progressive removal of the previous traffic route arrangements at APE
    and WIX?.

    Asked how many providers have purchased TelstraClear?s DIC service in lieu
    of peering, Bolland says that information is commercially sensitive.
    However, he says, all TelstraClear wholesale customers have either signed
    up for the DIC or secured commercial arrangements via another party.

    Bolland says after peering has been removed, ISPs and content providers will
    have other options for exchanging traffic with TelstraClear. They can
    connect to TelstraClear, connect to Telecom or to someone who connects to
    TelstraClear or Telecom, he says.

    In Australia, Telstra, MCI/Ozemail, Singtel/Optus and Telecom/AAPT peer with
    each other for free, but charge other providers for exchanging data with
    their networks. Last month, the Australian Competition and Consumer
    Commission said there are ?sufficient concerns? over pricing anomalies
    caused by peering agreements to warrant the implementation of a rigorous
    monitoring programme.

    Questions from Computerworld to the Commerce Commission asking whether
    internet peering is being investigated or monitored here have so far gone
    unanswered.
    Alex Axolotl, Nov 18, 2004
  20. Chris Hope

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alex Axolotl wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >

    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>it may also be related to this.
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/43p24
    >>>TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

    >snip<

    > Questions from Computerworld to the Commerce Commission asking whether
    > internet peering is being investigated or monitored here have so far gone
    > unanswered.

    This will be interesting - how on earth is the CC going to be able to
    deal with a complex and technical issue like peering when they couldn't
    even deal with UBS in a timely manner?
    -=rjh=-, Nov 18, 2004