    I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
    256 of ram 2 x 128.
    Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    caroline, Jan 7, 2007

  2. caroline

    Clangnuts Guest

    caroline wrote:
    > I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    > I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
    > 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    You could use it as a media server?

    Clangnuts

    Clangnuts, Jan 7, 2007

  3. caroline

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-07, caroline <> wrote:
    > I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    > I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
    > 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    Give it the extra RAM and then use it to discover the joys of Linux :))
    (It probably won't be able to run Windows XP, and almost certainly not
    Vista, and Windows 98 is no longer getting security fixes so it shouldn't be
    used on the internet - but up-to-date Linux should run nicely on it).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 7, 2007
  4. caroline

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:33:15 GMT, "caroline" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    >I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then have
    >256 of ram 2 x 128.

    Well, what is 128 * 2?

    >Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    Not really.

    Buy a new computer.

    Evan Platt, Jan 7, 2007
  5. Hello. I have an older Compaq Deskpro running a 450 Mhz CPU with 256 Meg
    RAM, which is the max it can take. It originally had W98SE on it, which I
    dumped. I threw out the 3 Gig drive and replaced it with an 8 Gig bought
    second hand for a very few bucks and installed Win2K. It has MS Office 2K on
    it, runs Firefox and Thunderbird, and all the games my grandson loves. It
    can also deal comfortably with my digital pics and so on.

    OK, there's some things it obviously won't do. The point is that, as far as
    general internet and office type work are concerned it's a great machine.
    And games? Well, if you don't mind games that are one generation out of
    date, it works just fine. I have a real screamer of a machine I built
    recently with all the bells and whistles, but frankly, apart from a few
    recent games, I prefer to use the older machine, mainly because it's so
    quiet, whereas my lovely new screamer is just that when all six fans get
    wound up in a game of Doom 3.

    Hope this is helpful. I guess the moral is new is not always better,
    depending on what you want to do with it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Pull the plug out to reply.)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and

    Peter in New Zealand, Jan 7, 2007
  6. caroline

    philo Guest

    "caroline" <> wrote in message
    > I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    > I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then

    have
    > 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    Adding more ram won't hurt anything...
    but what makes you want to add more?

    win98 usually runs pretty well with 128 megs

    philo, Jan 7, 2007
  7. caroline

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "caroline" <> said in

    > I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    > I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
    > have 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    No, considering the price of new PCs.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Jan 7, 2007
  8. caroline

    824 Guest

    Listen to Pete!

    824, Jan 7, 2007
  9. caroline

    Parko Guest

    On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:33:15 +0000, caroline wrote:

    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    Limited only by your imagination really.

    a) Give it to a poor student.
    b) Try upgrading to XP. It can be done apparently.
    c) Install Puppy/DSL (both Linuxeses) and play.
    d) Use it as a dedicated firewall using Smoothwall.
    e) Use it as some other kind of dedicated appliance.
    f) It would make a nice boat anchor.
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jan 7, 2007
  10. caroline

    roach Guest

    "caroline" <> wrote in message
    >I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    > I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
    > have
    > 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    > Is it worth doing anything with this PC.

    use it as a mame machine

    roach

    roach, Jan 8, 2007
  11. caroline

    monrae fordi Guest

    "roach" <> wrote in message

    > "caroline" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    >> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would only then
    >> have
    >> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    >> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.
    >>

    > use it as a mame machine
    >> roach

    mame ???

    monrae fordi, Jan 8, 2007
  12. "roach" <> wrote in

    > "caroline" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    >> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would
    >> only then have
    >> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    >> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.
    >>

    > use it as a mame machine
    >

    > roach

    Mame machine? Keep on smokin'!!

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Jan 8, 2007
  13. caroline

    roach Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <dontbother@all> wrote in message
    > "roach" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "caroline" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a HP 8633 pc running Win 98.
    >>> I has 128 of ram using on slot if I upgrade as it is I would
    >>> only then have
    >>> 256 of ram 2 x 128.
    >>> Is it worth doing anything with this PC.
    >>>

    >> use it as a mame machine
    >>

    >> roach
    >>>

    > Mame machine? Keep on smokin'!!

    > http://www.mame.net/

    cannot believe you never heard of mame

    roach

    roach, Jan 9, 2007
  14. caroline

    Guest

    "roach" <> wrote:

    >>> use it as a mame machine
    >>> roach

    >> Mame machine? Keep on smokin'!!

    > http://www.mame.net/

    >cannot believe you never heard of mame

    Or alt.games.mame I used to collect roms from there.
    --
    http://jesuspan.com/

    , Jan 9, 2007