    finishing my a.s in comp sci? (i don't have time to completely finish my
    bachelors degree)

    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    mskeys2xx3, Apr 28, 2008

  2. mskeys2xx3

    John R Guest

    "mskeys2xx3" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello, i am thinking about getting my MCSE/A Certification. I am currently
    > in
    > the Air Force but my enlistment is almost up and I am looking to get into
    > this field. Is it worth me getting this certification with all the new
    > programs coming out? (vista, office 07 etc.) Would i be better off just
    > finishing my a.s in comp sci? (i don't have time to completely finish my
    > bachelors degree)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    First, thank you for your service !

    I think that you will find that education is much more important than
    certifications when it comes to job markets. Although certifications are
    about certifying experience, more and more employers are now looking for
    certifications to get that first job, however education should be much more
    valuable there.

    As to the new generation of products, certainly Vista is available, and
    Server 2008, and you are correct, there will not be a MCSA/MCSE for Server
    2008, nor will there be a MCDST for Vista. The new generation of
    certifications kick in there. Although Vista may make inroads quickly due
    to marketing ploys for new computers (in both the home and business
    markets), Server 2008 may not be as quick to muscle itself into the market
    place. Personally, I think there will be good value in an MCSA/MCSE for
    Server 2003 for a long time. It was only recently that my company moved
    from NT to 2003. Certainly, there will be early adopters out there as well.

    If you have no experience with Server 2003 or Server 2008, then I would say
    that you probably want to go straight to 2008 since there will be a long
    learning curve until you get enough experience to think about MCITP
    certifications. If you have a lot of existing experience with Server 2003,
    then I would recommend that you pursue that path. If you have lots of
    experience with both, then that choice will have to be made by you.

    As to Vista, well, you might be better off going straight there unless you
    think you could complete MCDST quickly. Again, it all depends on how much
    experience you have with XP and with Vista.

    Good luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Apr 28, 2008

  3. I agree! Education is more important then certification in the long run.
    Keep going to school and set a goal for a Masters Degree. Certification is
    fine to keep current on technology. I'm in the IT industry for 25 years and
    still study hard to re-certify, however my liberal arts schooling shows when
    I'm interacting with customers and peers.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Vince
    Vince Auletta, Apr 29, 2008
  4. mskeys2xx3

    Dude Guest

    Dude, go for it! You'll be competing with hundreds of other MCSE's applying
    for the same job. With no MCSE, you might not even make it past the HR
    weenies who can't even spell MCSE. It's the industry standard certification.
    I'm not sure how much weight MCSA carries, but MCP doesn't mean squat. The
    jury is still out on the 'New Generation' of MCTS and MCITP certifications.
    Most HR weenies don't know what the heck they are. You just can't go wrong
    with an MCSE certification. In fact, some employers offer incentive pay if
    you are an MCSE. Sure, there's no substitute for a college degree, but a BS
    degree and an MCSE is a good foot in the door.

    Dude, Apr 29, 2008