    it be worth it / make it easier to find a job in my situation? Where should
    I start?

    Thanks.

    Nowe177, Oct 29, 2008

  2. Nowe177

    Nowe177 Guest

    Also, another quick question, I noticed service pack 3 is out. Will this
    affect me if I'm getting books that are based on SP2?

    Thanks.

    Nowe177, Oct 29, 2008

  3. "Nowe177" <> wrote in message
    > I'm interested in getting a MCDST certification, but I'm wondering how
    > much
    > it will actually benefit me at the moment. I'm working on finishing up my
    > GED, and I have no previous job experience.(over 18)
    >
    > I'm quite advanced with computers, and this is the field of work I'm
    > interested it.
    >
    > But anyway, I know I can get this certification without a problem, but
    > will
    > it be worth it / make it easier to find a job in my situation? Where
    > should
    > I start?

    To be honest, the cert might get you an interview where you wouldn't
    otherwise have gotten an interview, but that's about all it's going to get
    you at this point.

    You'd do better at finding ways to document your actual skills (for the
    resume, since there are no employers to list), or investing the effort in
    getting actual experience -- which may require quite a bit of "networking"
    as a resume with a G.E.D. and no job experience isn't likely to catch too
    many eyes.

    And, contrary to the way things used to be -- employers don't post
    "entry-level" positions publicly. (Those that do have entry-level positions,
    recruit direct from college campuses.)

    So, all in all, my take on the situation is that the time invested in the
    MCDST at this point would not be worth the value returned.

    Note: This is not to say that you shouldn't pursue the certification -- it's
    just that you need a couple of other things a lot more seriously than the
    certification. Get a year of real experience, then do the cert -- and *then*
    the cert will have value.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 29, 2008
  4. "Nowe177" <> wrote in message
    > Also, another quick question, I noticed service pack 3 is out. Will this
    > affect me if I'm getting books that are based on SP2?

    Not likely. I can't imagine any publisher investing in a new 'edition' to
    update an existing book to cover SP3, and certainly Microsoft is not likely
    to invest much effort in updating the XP exams.

    Even so, SP3 is essentially a rollup, so there's no new material to update
    anyway.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 29, 2008
  5. Nowe177

    Nowe177 Guest

    Thank you for your response. That's basically what I thought. I'll get
    experience first, than work on certificates.

    Again - thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated.

    Nowe177, Oct 29, 2008
  6. Microsoft's policy, I have been told, is to remove questions where a new
    Service Pack would change the answer to a question. They would not add any
    SP3 specific items, since some people have been studying for a long time and
    would need to re-start. Study the things that are the same between the exam
    release date and the current version of the product, and you should do fine.
    Best wishes in your certification studies.
    --
    Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS

    LarryWestMCSD, Oct 30, 2008