    experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
    getting a callback or a development job? any input would
    be appreciated.
    Arzen, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Arzen

    bb Guest

    Arzen wrote:

    > i am trying to decide if i should pursue this
    > certification. does anyone on this board have personal
    > experience or know someone who can attribute MCAD for
    > getting a callback or a development job? any input would
    > be appreciated.

    of course it helps. i mean to suggest that having proved your are of a
    specific standard, certified by an examination process does not help
    when applying for jobs is crazy.

    now, passing exams does not make you a better coder, sure anyone can
    cram. but it is definately better to have, than not.
    bb, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Arzen

    homer Guest

    For over two month times, I "collected" job leads from North CA, CT and IL/MO/KS area. I have not see a single lead that listed MCAD as preferable status to have. Of those about 15 interviews, none question was asked about any certificate. I have to brint it up couple times, and the interviewers seem show no interest.
    I think you are better off by spending the time to build a web site showing how to make the db calls, how to authenticate, how to use OOP, etc.
    I will say one thing positive about the time spent for exam preperation. You are forced to cover every base of the subject area. That knowledge is not available even through real world experience. I mean you need to stay in the field for a long time to get your hand araound all of these.
    But again it is too bad that the potential employer does not see any value in the process.

    homer, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Arzen

    Sean Guest

    I do find that story believable, its frustrating when employers don’t understand the value of certifications or even former education for that matter.
    I am going to get MCAD anyway because a lot of my college course work is going to cover it anyway. I could also do MCSA given the course work but I am really not interested.

    Most of the college course work for IST is a joke, but I have to do it anyway so I might as well go the extra mile..

    Sean, Jun 16, 2004
  5. homer wrote:
    > For over two month times, I "collected" job leads from North CA, CT and IL/MO/KS area. I have not see a single lead that listed MCAD as preferable status to have. Of those about 15 interviews, none question was asked about any certificate. I have to brint it up couple times, and the interviewers seem show no interest.
    > I think you are better off by spending the time to build a web site showing how to make the db calls, how to authenticate, how to use OOP, etc.
    > I will say one thing positive about the time spent for exam preperation. You are forced to cover every base of the subject area. That knowledge is not available even through real world experience. I mean you need to stay in the field for a long time to get your hand araound all of these.
    > But again it is too bad that the potential employer does not see any value in the process.

    In my opinion, anybody can take an exam and pass it. Having a
    certification is no substitute for good in-depth experience. But having
    the certification shows that you have the perserverence to see something
    through to the end, and you had to pick up some knowledge along the way.

    So discussion of this may not come up once you are actually in the
    interview, but it likely weighs in your favor as to whether or not you
    actually got the interview to begin with.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    Tom Porterfield, Jun 16, 2004