    will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are really
    dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or is it
    just the clientel is just not there?
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Dave;
    Is it worth it?
    First you must determine if you will benefit.
    Is your hardware and software supported?

    TAP can help cut the cost of the transition, but you lose the original
    license and thus can not go back if desired:
    https://microsoft.productorder.com/serverx64/default.aspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 15, 2005

  3. Those who find x64 worthy will bare the sacrifices, again, these are the
    targetted audiences:

    The big benefits of course will not be realized by the consumer or
    enthusiast, but by persons in technical environments who use memory and
    mathematically intensive applications such as databases. Windows XP
    Professional x64 provides the highest levels of performance and scalability
    for Digital Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for
    Financial & Data Analysis.

    So, Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely not an operating system for
    the average Windows user who is doing basic stuff such as browsing the net
    or sending e-mails and writing one page documents in Word. But it is likely
    that by the end of this year, any PC purchased will be 64 bit enabled, which
    does not necessarily mean you are ready for a 64 bit OS. But it does give
    the user a sense of comfort knowing the capability is there ready to be
    taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.

    The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical environments
    who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within the
    next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should be
    more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
    with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
    that is not available.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you use the trial version and dual boot and you can tell for
    yourself. Depends on what you do and what programs and hardware you have.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Actually,
    There are a great many areas I believe you will see early 64-bit solutions
    for the ordinary consumer, not just technophiles...

    - Video rendering. There will be a period of transition as video vendors
    re-write their products not to optimize to Intel's "Helper" x86 code (like
    MMX) and take advantage of the incredibly powerful native 64-bit FPU. Once
    vendors do that, we will see a big jump in realism.
    - Alternative input. Hard to prognosticate whether is short, medium or long
    term, but many voice recognition and handwriting recognition apps can be
    expected to experience a large jump in capability.

    There must be others, too. I believe like practically everything else we
    have seen for the past several years these new technologies will show up in
    gaming before being adapted to business applications.

    As you note, people are already eager to investigate how 64-bit will affect
    database development, although I don't see much written yet I also expect
    that there will be good use for middle tier application development as well.

    But, for anyone who is asking whether they should rush to install a 64-bit
    OS... I'd also caution patience. See my previous post a few days ago "Is
    there a clearing house for 64-bit XP issues?" 6/13/2005.

    Tony

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTdQ==?=, Jun 15, 2005
  6. Nah, I don't think Pinnacle Studio and Windows Movie Maker really needs the
    power that x64 offers, that can be satisfied by XP 32 bit already.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=

    Rick Mogstad Guest

    Pinnacle makes higher end products too. I think their Liquid products
    would definitely benefit from a 64bit revamp.

    Rick Mogstad, Jun 15, 2005
  8. Yeah, but the consumer products for home movies doesn't really justify the
    power.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  9. didnt gates once say something about only needing 8 MB?

    =?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?=, Jun 15, 2005
  10. Video compilation is another "maybe" although you might not think it's a
    short term opportunity. Grabbing and processing vastly larger chunks of data
    at a time has to be useful. In fact, I would <very> much like to see a 64-bit
    Windows Media SDK to support on the fly conversion/broadcasting which is one
    of the most demanding compilation apps around because of its time sensitivity
    requirements (who wants to see jerky video?).

    Actually, when I was referring to rendering, I was talking about ordinary
    game graphics, specifically 3D rendering. In general, polygons are drawn by
    the processor and are filled in with textures by the videocard co-processor.
    Although FPU calculations are highly desirable, the 32-bit x86 processor
    generally has a dud of a FPU and does integer calculations much better. Intel
    created special extensions like MMX to get around the processor drawbacks.

    With 64-bit, the processor can draw those polygons and maybe even fill in
    textures vastly faster which enables finer polygons and more realism. That's
    why your game consoles are all 64-bit.

    And now we potentially have the same capability in the PC.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTdQ==?=, Jun 16, 2005
  11. He cleared that up at WinHEC 2005, he did not say 640k.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005
  12. The choice was clear for me. I’m a data analysis type. Signal processing is
    my forte. I typically work with data files around 100MB but CT data can get
    around 100GB (that is not a typo) and take days to reconstruct (weeks on a
    PC). I’ve been waiting for the chance to use the 64bit Intel math libraries.
    Based on the tests I’ve made so far, x64 provided an overall 24% performance
    increase.

    Yeah the UI seems a little snappier and Doom3 might load slightly faster
    (haven’t timed this though) but crunching numbers pays my bills. I was
    already ahead of the pack but it’s a different ball game now.

    =?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?=, Jun 16, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=

    Rick Mogstad Guest

    umm, The game consoles have not been 64 bit for quite a few years now.....

    Rick Mogstad, Jun 16, 2005
  14. I think he is talking about X-box 360 and the PS3.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=

    Rick Mogstad Guest

    Oh, that makes sense then.

    Rick Mogstad, Jun 16, 2005
  16. would it benificial to people who use 3D animation packages like maya or max?

    =?Utf-8?B?d2Fra2ExOQ==?=, Jun 25, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I would try it in dual boot mode. If your programs install, they may very
    well benefit.

    John Barnes, Jun 26, 2005
  18. Actually thats one of the target audiences of the x64, 3D rendering, but
    like John says it best you do this in a test configuration before comitting
    to it fully.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005