    providers make out as most of them use the line "You can go to an interview
    and name your price", is this true or part of the sales pitch?

    Thanks.
    Buster, Feb 29, 2004

  2. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:37:16 -0000, "Buster"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm about to set off on the long hard road to Microsoft certification and
    >was wondering if anyone could tell me if you think it's worth enrolling on
    >an MCSE training course with one of these training providers as they seem to
    >charge an absolute fortune or if it's just as easy to pass by buying books
    >and teaching yourself at home, I've just bought the Sybex book for 2000
    >Professional exam.
    >
    >Also, I was wondering if those of you who are qualified can tell me if the
    >career rewards for being MCSE certified really are as good as these training
    >providers make out as most of them use the line "You can go to an interview
    >and name your price", is this true or part of the sales pitch?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Books and friends

    cheaper but not always as consistent as a course

    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================
    Marlin Munrow, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Totally depends on YOU!
    Are youi the kind of person that will really "GET IT" from just
    reading a book??
    The schools are pricey but a GOOD one (whatever that is) WILL give
    you alot of insight that no book can give AND some hands on
    practice.....

    If you can study alone my vote is set up your own software and tear
    up every exercise in the book....

    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm about to set off on the long hard road to Microsoft certification and
    >was wondering if anyone could tell me if you think it's worth enrolling on
    >an MCSE training course with one of these training providers as they seem to
    >charge an absolute fortune or if it's just as easy to pass by buying books
    >and teaching yourself at home, I've just bought the Sybex book for 2000
    >Professional exam.
    >
    >Also, I was wondering if those of you who are qualified can tell me if the
    >career rewards for being MCSE certified really are as good as these training
    >providers make out as most of them use the line "You can go to an interview
    >and name your price", is this true or part of the sales pitch?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Just my .02 cents.

    Thank ya' very much.

    Elvis
    Elvis the King, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Buster

    JaR Guest

    Buster opined, On 2/29/04 2:37 PM:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm about to set off on the long hard road to Microsoft certification and
    > was wondering if anyone could tell me if you think it's worth enrolling on
    > an MCSE training course with one of these training providers as they seem to
    > charge an absolute fortune or if it's just as easy to pass by buying books
    > and teaching yourself at home, I've just bought the Sybex book for 2000
    > Professional exam.
    >
    > Also, I was wondering if those of you who are qualified can tell me if the
    > career rewards for being MCSE certified really are as good as these training
    > providers make out as most of them use the line "You can go to an interview
    > and name your price", is this true or part of the sales pitch?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Unless you are in India or some other third world country, you are going
    to be competing with thousands of certified, experienced and unemployed
    IT professionals for a very damn few jobs.

    The so-called "training providers" are for the most part selling snake oil.

    Don't take my word for it, see what jobs are available in your area in
    IT. The market is flooded with MCSE's and most companies are laying off
    IT staff.

    JaR
    Cynical Thug
    JaR, Mar 1, 2004
  5. >The so-called "training providers" are for the most part selling snake oil.

    Such as cobol and 'chums'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Buster

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Such as cobol and 'chums'.

    wongh is best for Dump.Test

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Buster

    Puppet Guest

    I dont know. I got my MCSE 2000 and am still a crappy
    level 1 helpdesk analyst. I have 5 years experience, a
    college degree, and an MCSE, and still only get 6-12
    month contracts as a level 1 dork.
    I have not seen any benefits yet. :(
    -Puppet

    Puppet, Mar 1, 2004
  8. >wongh is best for Dump.Test

    agreed

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  9. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    >> wongh is best for Dump.Test

    > agreed
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    updated
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Buster

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > I dont know. I got my MCSE 2000 and am still a crappy
    > level 1 helpdesk analyst. I have 5 years experience, a
    > college degree, and an MCSE, and still only get 6-12
    > month contracts as a level 1 dork.
    > I have not seen any benefits yet. :(
    > -Puppet

    Maybe it's because you're a puppet.

    And on a serious note: my comment "wongh is best for Dump.Test" was a joke.
    It was in reference to the three stooges - cobol, wongh, and a slew of
    "Shemps" that continuously post cryptic br@indump ads here. I don't condone
    br@indumping in any fashion.

    Another thing: your experience seems to be common. The IT industry is only
    slightly less dry than the salt flats where they race those intergalactic
    warp speed rocket cars. In July. Anyways, stay in there, the economy seems
    to be getting back moving in the right direction again - I think it's only a
    matter of time before the IT world follows suit. Although I wouldn't go
    expecting pre-dot-com-bust levels. But if you know your stuff, have diplomas
    and certs, and years of experience, you'll eventually get the job you're
    looking for. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until the jobs actually
    exist. Such is the sad predicament of many an IT-er.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Mar 1, 2004
  11. the best

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:18:37 -0500, Frisbee® MCNGP
    <> wrote:

    >The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere wrote:
    >>> wongh is best for Dump.Test

    >> agreed
    >>
    >> Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    >updated

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Buster

    Jtyc Guest

    > the best

    You can't have any pudding unless you finish your meat!
    Jtyc, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Buster

    Consultant Guest

    i feel bad for you, seems like you bought into the hype, at the same time, i
    can't help but to laugh at you, lol

    Consultant, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Buster

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > You can't have any pudding unless you finish your meat!

    When I was a child, I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons. Now
    I've got that feeling once again. I can't explain, you would not understand.
    This is not how I am.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "i can't feel my legs! thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Buster

    Jtyc Guest

    > When I was a child, I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons.
    Now
    > I've got that feeling once again. I can't explain, you would not

    understand.
    > This is not how I am.

    You ever have that dream where you're standing in sort-of Sun God robes,
    with thousands of naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

    Why am I the only one that has that dream?
    Jtyc, Mar 1, 2004
  16. >You ever have that dream where you're standing in sort-of Sun God robes,
    >with thousands of naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
    >
    >Why am I the only one that has that dream?

    lol!

    Lets not go there.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Buster

    Brat Guest

    5 years ago?

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Buster

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > 5 years ago?

    7!

    --

    KB - MCNGP "baby spice thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Buster

    Brat Guest

    close :p

    Brat, Mar 2, 2004
  20. Buster

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > Buster opined, On 2/29/04 2:37 PM:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm about to set off on the long hard road to Microsoft certification
    >> and was wondering if anyone could tell me if you think it's worth
    >> enrolling on an MCSE training course with one of these training
    >> providers as they seem to charge an absolute fortune or if it's just
    >> as easy to pass by buying books and teaching yourself at home, I've
    >> just bought the Sybex book for 2000 Professional exam.
    >>
    >> Also, I was wondering if those of you who are qualified can tell me
    >> if the career rewards for being MCSE certified really are as good as
    >> these training providers make out as most of them use the line "You
    >> can go to an interview and name your price", is this true or part of
    >> the sales pitch?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Unless you are in India or some other third world country, you are
    > going to be competing with thousands of certified, experienced and
    > unemployed IT professionals for a very damn few jobs.
    >
    > The so-called "training providers" are for the most part selling snake
    > oil.
    >
    > Don't take my word for it, see what jobs are available in your area in
    > IT. The market is flooded with MCSE's and most companies are laying
    > off IT staff.
    >
    > JaR
    > Cynical Thug

    Buster, don't you listen to JaR. He's crazy! there are lots of jobs out
    there - you just need to know the special trick to getting them.

    The trick is, you need to do MCSE over & over again. you do all the 7
    exams and pass. then when you get your MCSE in the mail, you book the
    same exams and do them all over again. you keep doing that over and over
    again. everytime Bill Gates sees your name on the MCSE as he is signing
    it he gets more impressed by how much you know. He will then make a
    special note in his daytimer to meet with you about a job. thats how i
    got my job. :)

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army: