    help !!

    Thanks

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Oct 2, 2005

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    davew Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
    > broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
    >
    > Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

    Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
    ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.

    Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works great!

    davew, Oct 2, 2005

  3. >> I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
    >> broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
    >>
    >> Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

    > Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
    > ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.
    >

    >> Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
    >> possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

    > Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works
    > great!

    OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !

    Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
    the router).

    How would I set up the phone as the voipbuster website looks like it only
    has software to download to a computer and no settings for a voip phone,
    unless I'm mistaken which is possible ;)

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Oct 2, 2005
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    7 Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    > I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
    > broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
    >
    > Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.
    >
    > Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
    > possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

    The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.
    Then you can install a PAP2 box and connect to ethernet. The PAP2 gives 2
    ordinary phone lines to which you can connect plain old telephones,
    or the DECT phones if you want wireless. Todate, only settings for
    voipfone.co.uk mentioned in this group worked for me with PAP2.

    (I would dearly like to have it working with voipbuster.com if anyone
    has it working fully and wish to share the settings for PAP2.)

    7, Oct 2, 2005
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    peter Guest

    peter, Oct 2, 2005
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    davew Guest

    7 wrote:

    > The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.

    It seems that the WAG54G has a 4 port switch built in, so it should be fine.

    davew, Oct 2, 2005
  7. ¬Stephen Hammond

    davew Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    > OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !
    >
    > Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
    > the router).

    I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
    telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

    However, make sure you buy an 'unlocked' version - not one locked to a
    supplier. It seems they are available for around £40, i have good
    things about them. I don't personally use the bit of kit but i would
    recommend an ATA over a VOIP phone, as somebody else said, so you can
    plug in a 'normal' phone (inc. cordless)

    davew, Oct 2, 2005
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
    <daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
    >telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

    God almighty how many more people are scared shitless of Ivor the
    terrible here ?.

    , Oct 2, 2005
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Tone Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:01:16 +0100, wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
    ><daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
    >>telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

    >God almighty how many more people are scared shitless of Ivor the
    >terrible here ?.

    You are sounding more and more like Turtill

    --

    Just livin the Vida Sofa

    Tone, Oct 3, 2005
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Tone Guest

    On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:52:27 +0100, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
    >broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)
    >
    >Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.
    >
    >Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
    >possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

    Just get Sipgate, phone plugs into your Modem/router with the pooter
    being on

    --

    Just livin the Vida Sofa

    Tone, Oct 3, 2005
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    ras Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
    <daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net> wrote:

    >¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>
    >> OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !
    >>
    >> Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
    >> the router).

    >I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
    >telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.
    >
    >However, make sure you buy an 'unlocked' version - not one locked to a
    >supplier. It seems they are available for around £40, i have good
    >things about them. I don't personally use the bit of kit but i would
    >recommend an ATA over a VOIP phone, as somebody else said, so you can
    >plug in a 'normal' phone (inc. cordless)

    I bought my PAP2 at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk the unlocked version
    -- ras

    ras, Oct 3, 2005
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond