    if HP doesnt, because last time when i tried installing windows SP2 my laptop
    didnt restart anymore, and then HP said they dont recommend installing the
    SP2...... waste of time and energy.
    =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb25fUEg=?=, Jun 3, 2005

  2. "Aaron_PH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My Question is: Is it safe to install the windows64bit edition trial or
    > otherwise on my laptop? Its an AMD64 HP DP533AV R3200 Compaq Laptop, 512MB
    > RAM, 40GB, DVD/CDR. Because it says in the manual that my currently
    > installed windows xp home edition is 'OPTIMIZED" for my laptop. If I
    > install
    > the windows 64bit edition OS will it still be optimized for whatever
    > special
    > reason my OS has to be optimized to whatever setup i have on my laptop?
    >
    > Thank you, i just hate having to reformat and install everything again
    > plus
    > copy my files back whenever microsoft doesnt tell you things ahead of time
    > or
    > if HP doesnt, because last time when i tried installing windows SP2 my
    > laptop
    > didnt restart anymore, and then HP said they dont recommend installing the
    > SP2...... waste of time and energy.

    Yes it is safe if you have all the necessary drivers for all of the hardware
    components within your laptop (this what they usually mean by optimized -
    they have al the appropriate drivers in their build).

    So before you do the install visit all the manufacturers sites for all the
    components within your laptop and ensure you get production x64 Windows
    drivers downloaded and are ready to install them once you do the install.

    Not this is an OEM product so you will be doing a clean install to a bare
    formatted harddisk or partition this may mean that you will need to ensure
    you backup and can recover your data and also that you can install (and they
    will work - all your applications). Any application with a 16-bit installer
    or a 16-bit application will not work at all. Also any application with any
    32-bit kernel mode drivers will also not work - this includes some anti
    virus products among other things.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 3, 2005

  3. Could you list some of the things you do with your computer? Windows XP
    Professional x64 is targetted to folks doing Digital Content Creation,
    Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for Financial & Data Analysis.

    There is said to be a 9% boost in 32 bit applications running x64, but I'm
    not sure its Microsoft Word or Printshop, I suspect its mostly server apps.

    You could test it out first at least in a dual boot configuration and get
    everything right from hardware to software while still maintaining a 32 bit
    Windows XP Environment. Users have the option of doing an in place upgrade
    from Trial versions of Windows XP Professional x64 at the end of expiration.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2005
  4. some manufacturers seem to claim a right to void the warranty on hardware if
    it's not running on originally shipped (or pre-installed) software. You may
    want to check HP's policy on that subject. - good luck

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Thats their reverse psychology way of getting you to buy hardware from them
    when they finally support it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb25fUEg=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Back up your data. Assuming you can round up the x64 drivers for your
    machine, it should work fine. My HP zv5000z works fine, and I've heard that
    the Compaq R3000 works well also. Besides, restoring the original factory
    software, if need be, is very easy if you have the disk that shipped with
    the machine.

    M. Murcek, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Its not also uncommon for your boot configuration to be messed up.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2005
  8. Re: Is it safe to install the windows 64bit Edition Trial or other

    Okay, i go on the internet, i Use all the normal microsoft office
    applications, adobe photoshop, macromedia dreamweaver, Autodesk Autocad 2005,
    some games like sims 2, hmmm basically thats it.

    anyway i just want to go to windows 64bit so i could use my processor. just
    want to make sure that all the necessary drives have been made and that most
    of the major software glitches are already out of the way. thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb25fUEg=?=, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Re: Is it safe to install the windows 64bit Edition Trial or other

    Does microsoft have the drivers i need since the windows update looks like it
    alwaays updates my system. I doubt HP would have.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWFyb25fUEg=?=, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Re: Is it safe to install the windows 64bit Edition Trial or other

    You are an in between, I would say whatever you are doing in AutoCAD could
    be satisfied in 32 bit Windows, but if you are taking it to a level where
    you are integrating 3D in your workflow then its safe to say 64 bit
    computing with Windows XP Pro x64 becomes more of an option. I think
    Photoshop can only use up to 2GB's of RAM, so you won't see any difference
    either on x64.

    Games are great on x64, thats all I can say.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2005
  11. Re: Is it safe to install the windows 64bit Edition Trial or other

    "Aaron_PH" <> wrote in message
    > Does microsoft have the drivers i need since the windows update looks like
    > it
    > alwaays updates my system. I doubt HP would have.

    Drivers are primarily the responsibility of the hardware vendor you should
    check with those first.
    So if HP or the other hardware manufacturers have not written the drivers
    and placed them on their own site then we will not have them either.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 3, 2005
  12. Re: Is it safe to install the windows 64bit Edition Trial or other

    snip
    > Photoshop can only use up to 2GB's of RAM, so you won't see any difference
    > either on x64.

    Sorry, but I don't entirely agree.
    This is an opinion you frequently see in the mags; when engineers answers
    journalists questions, and they don't want to make any guarantees about the
    performance of this and that they take the defensive approach until a time
    when anything they say can be substanciated.
    If you ask a scientist to evaluate the quality of fresh versus stale air,
    you may see such defensive respons, however, to my mind winx64 feels like a
    breath of fresh air - and there is no doubt about it. There is much more to
    64bit computing than mere memory issues. One important thing that is often
    forgotten is the management of virtual memory, and this is an area where
    winx64 really shines, in my opinion. At least right now before we have seen
    any massive availabillity of 64bit software.

    I saw one opinion expressed in some mag, saying that the fact that most
    software where still single threaded would imply that dual-core chips would
    not be market leaders at the begining.
    This cannot be true, the author must be confusing the different concepts of
    multi-processing and multi-threading. By which I don't intend to say that
    adding multi-threading to dual-core wouldn't add to the performance.

    > Games are great on x64, thats all I can say.
    > --

    Absolutely, but if it works at all, it's all greate - sez I. (Purely
    subjective, I know)

    Have a nice day!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2005