Is it safe to buy the BTTF Boxed Set yet?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Patrick W. Heinske, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Or are the versions on the shelves still the ones with the screwed-up letterbox
    framing problems?

    Was it ever revealed how to tell whether or not what is sitting on the shelf is
    a new, corrected version or a leftover old, uncorrected version?
    Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    AMcom
    Patrick W. Heinske, Dec 29, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Patrick W. Heinske

    SBFan2000 Guest

    The new versions are out now but even if they weren't Universal is replacing
    any of the defective discs that people send them! Just got mine replaced.
    Of course, if you can get the fixed version to begin with it would certainly
    save the hassle. You can tell the new, repaired discs by a mark on the
    case. Unfortunatly I can't remember what the mark is?? I'm sure someone
    will post it!

    "Patrick W. Heinske" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Or are the versions on the shelves still the ones with the screwed-up

    letterbox
    > framing problems?
    >
    > Was it ever revealed how to tell whether or not what is sitting on the

    shelf is
    > a new, corrected version or a leftover old, uncorrected version?
    > Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    > AMcom
    SBFan2000, Dec 29, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Patrick W. Heinske

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Patrick W. Heinske" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Or are the versions on the shelves still the ones with the screwed-up
    > letterbox framing problems?
    >
    > Was it ever revealed how to tell whether or not what is sitting on the
    > shelf is a new, corrected version or a leftover old, uncorrected

    version?
    > Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    > AMcom



    February 23, 2003 Updates
    -Universal announces corrected BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD details
    Source: The Digital Bits, thanks to ET20Fan
    For those still waiting patiently to buy copies of the BACK TO THE
    FUTURE TRILOGY DVD that aren't screwed up (quick recap: Universal
    knowingly released the disc sets with misframed pictures and patches of
    slurred sound on Part II & III), Universal has sent word that new discs
    will be available in March.

    The good thing for those who have held off buying the DVD set knowing of
    the errors is that Universal will be replacing retail copies. To
    identify the corrected copies (later in March), look for a "V2" (version
    2) on the widescreen/full frame sticker.

    Fans who have already bought the set will have to send their BACK TO THE
    FUTURE II and III discs in to Universal for replacements. Be sure to
    send the discs (just the two damaged discs, not the case or the first
    BACK TO THE FUTURE disc) along with a letter that has your name, mailing
    address, daytime phone number and your reason for returning the discs.
    Send the discs and your information to:

    BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD RETURNS
    PO Box 224468
    Dallas, Texas 75260

    Here's hoping Universal (a great studio historically) has learned from
    their errors on the BACK TO THE FUTURE and E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
    DVDs in 2002 and will look to creating the best DVDs of their classic
    films that they can offer the public.

    http://www.spielbergfilms.com/bttfnews.html
    Scot Gardner, Dec 29, 2003
    #3
  4. Patrick W. Heinske

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Scot Gardner wrote:
    (snip)
    > Here's hoping Universal (a great studio historically) has learned from
    > their errors on the BACK TO THE FUTURE and E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
    > DVDs in 2002 and will look to creating the best DVDs of their classic
    > films that they can offer the public.
    >
    > http://www.spielbergfilms.com/bttfnews.html


    I missed what was wrong with ET. What exactly is the problem with that dvd?

    T.B.
    Thomas Bell, Dec 29, 2003
    #4
  5. Patrick W. Heinske

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Thomas Bell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Scot Gardner wrote:
    > (snip)
    > > Here's hoping Universal (a great studio historically) has learned
    > > from their errors on the BACK TO THE FUTURE and E.T. THE
    > > EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL DVDs in 2002 and will look to creating
    > > the best DVDs of their classic films that they can offer the public.
    > >
    > > http://www.spielbergfilms.com/bttfnews.html

    >
    > I missed what was wrong with ET. What exactly is the problem with
    > > that dvd?

    >
    > T.B.



    I have no idea. I do know that the Special Edition _ET_ box was a piece
    of crap and that the security stickers ripped off part of the artwork.
    However, the same site that supplied the _Back to the Future_ DVD
    information has this to say about _ET_:

    "In March of 2002, in celebration of E.T.'s 20th Anniversary, the film
    was re-released to theatres with a digitally re-mastered print and
    soundtrack, as well as the addition of previously cut footage, and most
    significantly, new CG (and a few live-action) additions and alterations.
    Many purists cried foul before even seeing a frame of the changes
    Spielberg made, however, after the film premiered, the talk died down
    rather quickly. As for the changes, Spielberg subtly, and sometimes not
    so subtly employed ILM to enhance E.T.'s performance through new facial
    animations that were matted onto the original puppets in the film. More
    upsetting to critics, however, was the fact that Spielberg made a few
    "PC" changes to the film, such as digitally removing all of the
    government agent's guns. A few minor quibbles aside, this is actually a
    piece of revisionism that is easy to live with as the film doesn't gain
    anything from feds holding pump-action rifles on children and their
    little alien friend. For a more detailed assessment of the changes made
    in the film, be sure to check back for the scene by scene breakdown of
    the film in the future."

    http://www.spielbergfilms.com/ethome.html

    Still, nothing about the _ET_ DVD is mentioned. All of the _ET_ DVD
    releases had both the bastardized new version and the un-bastardized
    1982 version. Universal's original plan was to include the
    un-bastardized version only in the expensive $69.98 Ultimate Gift Set/
    Limited Special Edition. Later, Universal decided to put the both
    versions in the $29.98 package.
    Scot Gardner, Dec 29, 2003
    #5
  6. Patrick W. Heinske

    TSKO Guest

    I just looked at the box set at the local Best Buy and none of them had the
    "V2" that is supposed to be on there as the fixed copies...

    "Patrick W. Heinske" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Or are the versions on the shelves still the ones with the screwed-up

    letterbox
    > framing problems?
    >
    > Was it ever revealed how to tell whether or not what is sitting on the

    shelf is
    > a new, corrected version or a leftover old, uncorrected version?
    > Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    > AMcom
    TSKO, Dec 29, 2003
    #6
  7. Canadian e-tailer www.dvdsoon.com is selling the fixed set. They will
    ship to the US.
    Edward Curtis, Dec 29, 2003
    #7
  8. Thank you all for the replies - I knew that they were offering replacements,
    but I didn't want to go through the mailing hassle.

    I remember reading the February article, but since it's been 10 months and I
    still haven't ever seen a sticker with a 'V2' added to it, I thought perhaps it
    was just a rumor, but now I'll know what exactly to look for.

    Thanks also for the links - I'll check that out.

    Happy holidays, everybody...
    Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    AMcom
    Patrick W. Heinske, Dec 30, 2003
    #8
  9. Patrick W. Heinske

    TonyAtRest Guest

    >Canadian e-tailer www.dvdsoon.com is selling the fixed set. They will
    >ship to the US.


    The Us version or the Canadian version in French on the cover?

    Tony


    "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

    Buzzcocks, 1976
    TonyAtRest, Dec 30, 2003
    #9
  10. Patrick W. Heinske

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "TSKO" <> wrote:
    >I just looked at the box set at the local Best Buy and none of them had the
    >"V2" that is supposed to be on there as the fixed copies...
    >
    >"Patrick W. Heinske" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Or are the versions on the shelves still the ones with the screwed-up

    >letterbox
    >> framing problems?
    >>
    >> Was it ever revealed how to tell whether or not what is sitting on the

    >shelf is
    >> a new, corrected version or a leftover old, uncorrected version?
    >> Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    >> AMcom

    >
    >

    My wife bought before xmas a set from Mediaplay for my son and sure enough, no
    V2. WTF is Universal up to? Isnt the fixed version in the channel yet??? Its
    Dec 2003 for christs sake!!!!! I had to almost scream bloddy murder to get
    them to take back my set opened . I told them there was no fucking way in hell
    i was gonna mail in my 2 disks and have my son be without them for 6-8 months.

    Finally after showing my 50 page printout of all the complaints and web pages
    and stuff regarding the misframing he immediately gave me a cach refund. I had
    my receipt afterall.


    WHERE are the fixed sets?. Target and Circuit City said they cant order the 3
    disk set anymore. WTF??????
    GMAN, Dec 31, 2003
    #10
  11. Patrick W. Heinske

    3W Guest

    Both

    "TonyAtRest" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > >Canadian e-tailer www.dvdsoon.com is selling the fixed set. They will
    > >ship to the US.

    >
    > The Us version or the Canadian version in French on the cover?
    >
    > Tony
    >
    >
    > "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
    >
    > Buzzcocks, 1976
    3W, Dec 31, 2003
    #11
  12. "GMAN" <> wrote in message
    news:bsti7f$4lu$...
    > My wife bought before xmas a set from Mediaplay for my son and sure

    enough, no
    > V2. WTF is Universal up to? Isnt the fixed version in the channel yet???

    Its
    > Dec 2003 for christs sake!!!!! I had to almost scream bloddy murder to

    get
    > them to take back my set opened . I told them there was no fucking way in

    hell
    > i was gonna mail in my 2 disks and have my son be without them for 6-8

    months.
    >
    > Finally after showing my 50 page printout of all the complaints and web

    pages
    > and stuff regarding the misframing he immediately gave me a cach refund. I

    had
    > my receipt afterall.
    >
    >
    > WHERE are the fixed sets?. Target and Circuit City said they cant order

    the 3
    > disk set anymore. WTF??????


    Oh get the hell over yourself! As soon as word hit that people were
    receiving the corrected versions, I sent mine in. 2 weeks to date I got the
    corrected in my mail box. And stores are not going to reorder more sets
    until they get low enough in their supply. For chain stores, that generally
    means not just an individual store, but the entire chain as well.

    It was painless and really hassle free. Bite the bullet or quit your
    bitching.

    Sheesh, I swear that's all anyone does on usenet.
    Michael Black, Dec 31, 2003
    #12
  13. Patrick W. Heinske

    TonyAtRest Guest

    >Both
    >
    >"
    >>
    >> The Us version or the Canadian version in French on the cover?
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    The cover with both languages or both the all-English version and the cover
    with 2 languages. When I click on the "new" version on their web site, it
    shows the one with English and with French.

    Tony


    "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

    Buzzcocks, 1976
    TonyAtRest, Dec 31, 2003
    #13
  14. Patrick W. Heinske

    Jordan Lund Guest

    (GMAN) wrote in message news:<bsti7f$4lu$>...

    > WTF is Universal up to? Isnt the fixed version in the channel yet??? Its
    > Dec 2003 for christs sake!!!!!


    Just a guess, but if people stopped buying the bad version then those
    copies will sit on store shelves until the store is asked to return
    them to the distributor. Meanwhile the fixed versions will sit in the
    distribution chain waiting for a store that has no copies to order
    them.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Dec 31, 2003
    #14
  15. Patrick W. Heinske

    GMAN Guest

    In article <lotIb.19817$P%>, "Michael Black" <mblack@{SPAM BLOWS}michaelblack.com{CHUNKS}> wrote:
    >"GMAN" <> wrote in message
    >news:bsti7f$4lu$...
    >> My wife bought before xmas a set from Mediaplay for my son and sure

    >enough, no
    >> V2. WTF is Universal up to? Isnt the fixed version in the channel yet???

    >Its
    >> Dec 2003 for christs sake!!!!! I had to almost scream bloddy murder to

    >get
    >> them to take back my set opened . I told them there was no fucking way in

    >hell
    >> i was gonna mail in my 2 disks and have my son be without them for 6-8

    >months.
    >>
    >> Finally after showing my 50 page printout of all the complaints and web

    >pages
    >> and stuff regarding the misframing he immediately gave me a cach refund. I

    >had
    >> my receipt afterall.
    >>
    >>
    >> WHERE are the fixed sets?. Target and Circuit City said they cant order

    >the 3
    >> disk set anymore. WTF??????

    >
    >Oh get the hell over yourself! As soon as word hit that people were
    >receiving the corrected versions, I sent mine in. 2 weeks to date I got the
    >corrected in my mail box. And stores are not going to reorder more sets
    >until they get low enough in their supply. For chain stores, that generally
    >means not just an individual store, but the entire chain as well.
    >
    >It was painless and really hassle free. Bite the bullet or quit your
    >bitching.
    >
    >Sheesh, I swear that's all anyone does on usenet.
    >
    >

    Fucking prick. eat my ass bone you bone ass bone eater.
    GMAN, Jan 8, 2004
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. James Williams

    [CARTOON] Beast Wars DVD Season 1 (boxed set)

    James Williams, Jul 14, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    603
    Ninja99
    Jul 15, 2003
  2. Michael S.

    BTTF--are corrected copies for sale yet

    Michael S., Sep 29, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    676
  3. Modemac
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    974
    Peter Rongsted
    Dec 29, 2003
  4. AMSNYD

    Star Trek original movies boxed set

    AMSNYD, Jan 12, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    592
    Maureen Goldman
    Jan 13, 2004
  5. Lindsay Brambles

    Lost in Space boxed set problem

    Lindsay Brambles, Jan 19, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    614
    Rutgar
    Jan 20, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page