    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    , May 21, 2006

  2. John Holmes Guest

    blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    > in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    > contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

    Yes. I do it all the time.

    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    --
    Your mother was a tiny-brained cheat who cloned sheep in disused
    windmills.

    John Holmes, May 21, 2006

  3. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-21, <> wrote:
    > Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    > in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    > contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    > pete

    I think you probably mean 'store a backup copy of the contents of a hard
    disc' rather than store the hard disc itelf (for which a safety deposit box
    would work better!). The answer then is 'Yes, of course, but would you
    trust them and can you afford it, and why not keep your own backups on a
    removable drive?'

    Try
    <http://www.google.com/search?hs=Nba&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=online
    +back+up&btnG=Search> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z62C3542D>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 21, 2006
  4. Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: John Holmes
    <> wrote:

    > blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    >> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    >> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

    > Yes. I do it all the time.

    Very small disk or very fast network connection?

    I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
    offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, May 21, 2006
  5. John Holmes Guest

    Bert Hyman blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In news: John Holmes
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    >>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    >>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

    >> Yes. I do it all the time.

    > Very small disk or very fast network connection?
    >
    > I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
    > offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.

    My backups are adequate, as allways.

    --
    Your mother was a useless fraudster who stole laundry on a flagpole.

    John Holmes, May 21, 2006
  6. Deano Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    > in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    > contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    I wonder how expensive this would be. I mean there *must* be some companies
    that do it but given that you could swap in a new hard disk with massively
    upgraded storage it could prove expensive all round. There are a number of
    file storage companies but there are limits that would make it difficult to
    back up say a 250GB hard disk. The big issue is could you trust the
    service, will it still be around in five years etc etc.

    You might consider working with remote data in the first place (is that what
    you meant?) and not having any local data to back up. I don't know how
    practical that is or where the data might be held.

    I do love Foldershare (www.foldershare.com) and I use that with a friend to
    backup data in real-time over the internet. It's simple to use, you just
    specify the folder/s you want to share and that's more or less it. It
    creates a copy of the data on the other PC. Very useful for backup and easy
    file-sharing.

    As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC and
    components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto a
    similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.

    BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
    thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
    unauthorised user.

    Deano, May 21, 2006
  7. Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    > in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    > contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    > pete
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    quite a few companies do it, XDrive being probably the most well known

    http://www.xdrive.com/

    I know from your previous posts you don't like it, but Google's GMail
    can be configured to use as an online hard disk too. There's a bit of
    software out there which turns it into the GMail Drive

    There are plenty of online backup services available. It's mainly
    commercial operations which use them but there are others for
    individuals. Lycos do a 300MB online drive facility free with their
    email accounts, more if you pay for it.

    FR

    Flying Rat, May 21, 2006
  8. Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:47:52 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-05-21, <> wrote:
    >> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    >> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    >> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    >> pete

    >I think you probably mean 'store a backup copy of the contents of a hard
    >disc' rather than store the hard disc itelf (for which a safety deposit box
    >would work better!). The answer then is 'Yes, of course, but would you
    >trust them and can you afford it, and why not keep your own backups on a
    >removable drive?'
    >
    >Try
    ><http://www.google.com/search?hs=Nba&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=online
    >+back+up&btnG=Search> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z62C3542D>.

    Once again I have not explained myself very well. I have been visited
    buy a burglar today (cop) who threatened to impound my computer if I
    didn't do what he wanted. I declined to disagree with him then. Now I
    am asking can I store all my files and programs etc with a commercial
    organisation so that if my computer is seized I can then just get
    another computer and download my stuff and carry on as if nothing had
    happened?
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    , May 22, 2006
  9. wrote:
    > Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    > in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    > contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    > pete

    This company turned up on one of the Microsoft groups when one of its
    users decided to misunderstand the terms of the referral program (i.e.,
    he thought he could get away with spamming). I have since had
    correspondence with (and researched) one of the principles--Josh
    Coates--and he has a long-term good reputation in the community.

    You get two gigabytes of storage free, and the cost for additional space
    is reasonable. Here is the URL (without a referral link, because I don't
    use this or any other online backup service):

    https://mozy.com/

    This program is still in beta, so you should understand the potential
    consequences of using a beta program. And although this is a legitimate
    service which takes every precaution about securing your data, you
    should realize that the minute you start sending your information out
    over the net, there is a risk involved.

    You need to be aware that your agreement with Berkeley Systems includes
    one piece of advertising email weekly. Other than that, however, there
    is no other catch known to me, and the program itself is free of
    spyware.

    I know this program has gotten high marks from at least one of the
    personal computer magazines. You can google for that and any additional
    information.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    Robert A. Heinlein

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 22, 2006
  10. Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:09:44 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes
    <> wrote:

    >Bert Hyman blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> In news: John Holmes
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Yes. I do it all the time.

    >> Very small disk or very fast network connection?
    >>
    >> I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
    >> offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.
    >>

    >My backups are adequate, as allways.

    These particular burglars would take back ups as well as the actual
    computer:-(
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    , May 22, 2006
  11. Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <>
    wrote:

    >As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC and
    >components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto a
    >similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
    >
    >BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
    >thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
    >unauthorised user.

    You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
    authority to access anything they grab.
    pete

  12. Deano Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC

    and
    > >components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto

    > >similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
    > >
    > >BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
    > >thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
    > >unauthorised user.

    > You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
    > authority to access anything they grab.
    > pete
    >
    > --
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't create
    any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

    Deano, May 22, 2006
  13. Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:15:02 +0100, Flying Rat <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    >> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    >> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

    >quite a few companies do it, XDrive being probably the most well known
    >
    >http://www.xdrive.com/
    >
    >I know from your previous posts you don't like it, but Google's GMail
    >can be configured to use as an online hard disk too. There's a bit of
    >software out there which turns it into the GMail Drive
    >
    >There are plenty of online backup services available. It's mainly
    >commercial operations which use them but there are others for
    >individuals. Lycos do a 300MB online drive facility free with their
    >email accounts, more if you pay for it.

    Hi FR, I will use google and gmail if it works. I have a 80 HD but I
    don't know if that is GB or MBs. I am being gagged with the threat of
    my computers being seized if I do not keep quiet. I want to know if I
    can store everything on GMail and that includes my programs such as
    paid for newsreaders and Zone Alarm, in fact the whole computer. Can
    it be dome FR?
    pete

    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    , May 22, 2006
  14. Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:13:05 +0100, "Deano" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 21 May 2006 23:14:36 +0100, "Deano" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC

    >and
    >> >components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto

    >> >similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.
    >> >
    >> >BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
    >> >thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
    >> >unauthorised user.

    >> You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
    >> authority to access anything they grab.
    >> pete
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    >Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't create
    >any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

    That would mean concealing stuff and I have no wish to obstruct the
    course of justice but I do want to preserve what I have for my own
    benefit. I have nothing to hide and I do not like being bullied into a
    self imposed gag.
    pete

  15. Deano Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:13:05 +0100, "Deano" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><> wrote in message

    > >and

    onto

    worthwhile

    > >> You may have gathered from my latest posts the *burglars* have
    > >> authority to access anything they grab.
    > >> pete
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    > >Then swap in a new hard disk, do a basic install of Windows and don't

    create
    > >any sensitive data on it. Then store the old hard disk somewhere secure.

    > That would mean concealing stuff and I have no wish to obstruct the
    > course of justice but I do want to preserve what I have for my own
    > benefit. I have nothing to hide and I do not like being bullied into a
    > self imposed gag.
    > pete

    Fair enough. If you are talking about creating an offsite backup of your
    entire hard disk using an online service then that's a bit tricky in my
    opinion. I'm assuming you have an 80 gigabyte hard disk unless your PC is
    really old. Moving 80 GB across the net is not going to be quick and I'm
    not sure who would provide that amount of space and if so, at what cost.

    You could image the disk which should allow you to compress it and burn it
    to DVD. I would restore this a similarly specified PC else you would have
    alot of work to do re drivers etc.

    What I tend to do is to create an image of my computer onto my external hard
    disk. The data partition is also backed up in this way.

    Deano, May 22, 2006
  16. Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:01:54 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
    >> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
    >> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
    >> pete

    >This company turned up on one of the Microsoft groups when one of its
    >users decided to misunderstand the terms of the referral program (i.e.,
    >he thought he could get away with spamming). I have since had
    >correspondence with (and researched) one of the principles--Josh
    >Coates--and he has a long-term good reputation in the community.
    >
    >You get two gigabytes of storage free, and the cost for additional space
    >is reasonable. Here is the URL (without a referral link, because I don't
    >use this or any other online backup service):
    >
    >https://mozy.com/
    >
    >This program is still in beta, so you should understand the potential
    >consequences of using a beta program. And although this is a legitimate
    >service which takes every precaution about securing your data, you
    >should realize that the minute you start sending your information out
    >over the net, there is a risk involved.
    >
    >You need to be aware that your agreement with Berkeley Systems includes
    >one piece of advertising email weekly. Other than that, however, there
    >is no other catch known to me, and the program itself is free of
    >spyware.
    >
    >I know this program has gotten high marks from at least one of the
    >personal computer magazines. You can google for that and any additional
    >information.

    Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
    what I need.
    pete
    --
    http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

    , May 22, 2006
  17. Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:36:08 +0100, "Deano" <>
    wrote:

    >Fair enough. If you are talking about creating an offsite backup of your
    >entire hard disk using an online service then that's a bit tricky in my
    >opinion. I'm assuming you have an 80 gigabyte hard disk unless your PC is
    >really old. Moving 80 GB across the net is not going to be quick and I'm
    >not sure who would provide that amount of space and if so, at what cost.
    >
    >You could image the disk which should allow you to compress it and burn it
    >to DVD. I would restore this a similarly specified PC else you would have
    >alot of work to do re drivers etc.
    >
    >What I tend to do is to create an image of my computer onto my external hard
    >disk. The data partition is also backed up in this way.

    If I stand my ground and the burglars call they will take everything
    in the house pertaining to computers. I do have a 80 gigbytre HD and
    it is 60% used:-(
    pete

  18. wrote:

    > Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
    > what I need.
    > pete

    I'm sorry.

    You can pay for additional storage, you know. Most of the online
    companies providing this service for businesses charge quite a bit more,
    so I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. I have to say,
    however, that it has been some time since I looked at what other
    companies had to offer, so it may be that the costs of such storage have
    changed.

    As for your concern, I don't think you have a concern. I don't know who
    told you that your computers are going to be confiscated, but I've
    looked (briefly) at your blog, and if that's the issue, I don't think
    anyone will have much luck trying to confiscate anything.

    Just make sure you have good antivirus and spyware protection and a good
    firewall. Someone looney could try to hurt you that way, but I unless
    you're robbing banks in your spare time, no one will be taking your
    computer.

    People make a lot of threats on the net, Pete, but most of those people
    are powerless to carry them through.

    Don't buy into this kind of harrassment, okay?

    rl

    P.S. A lot of what's on your hard drive is the operating system and
    programs. It isn't an absolute necessity to back those up. You need to
    back up your data, because that's what can't be replaced, so it is
    likely that you don't need as much space as you think you do.
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    You must be the change you wish to see
    in the world. Mohandas K. Gandhi

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 22, 2006
  19. old man Guest

    Just google for off site backups.
    There are a plethera of companies offering this, however you pay/gb
    Usually you only backup data. I use Ibackup.com and pay for 10gb which I use
    for data.
    Probably your cheapest method if you wish to backup your entire PC, would be
    to purchasing an Imaging app, eg Acronis True Image to image your entire
    system to another hd, store this hd with your Lawyer then create offsite
    databackups. Then assuming only data is updated your good to go.

    old man, May 22, 2006
  20. Guest

    On Sun, 21 May 2006 20:32:05 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Rhonda but I tried it and it does not allow enough capacity for
    >> what I need.
    >> pete

    >I'm sorry.
    >
    >You can pay for additional storage, you know. Most of the online
    >companies providing this service for businesses charge quite a bit more,
    >so I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. I have to say,
    >however, that it has been some time since I looked at what other
    >companies had to offer, so it may be that the costs of such storage have
    >changed.
    >
    >As for your concern, I don't think you have a concern. I don't know who
    >told you that your computers are going to be confiscated, but I've
    >looked (briefly) at your blog, and if that's the issue, I don't think
    >anyone will have much luck trying to confiscate anything.
    >
    >Just make sure you have good antivirus and spyware protection and a good
    >firewall. Someone looney could try to hurt you that way, but I unless
    >you're robbing banks in your spare time, no one will be taking your
    >computer.
    >
    >People make a lot of threats on the net, Pete, but most of those people
    >are powerless to carry them through.
    >
    >Don't buy into this kind of harrassment, okay?
    >
    >rl
    >
    >P.S. A lot of what's on your hard drive is the operating system and
    >programs. It isn't an absolute necessity to back those up. You need to
    >back up your data, because that's what can't be replaced, so it is
    >likely that you don't need as much space as you think you do.

    Thanks Rhonda but it is the police who are harassing me. I guess I
    will have to buy some more space:-(
    pete