  1. I'm asking b/c I'm getting a computer and need to know how I can read
    some of the discussion groups I'm read all the time that I do on msntv.
    Pam-Doggirl3
    I love my doggie, Mar 3, 2010

  2. I love my doggie

    JD Guest

    On 03/03/2010 8:54 PM, I love my doggie wrote:
    > I'm asking b/c I'm getting a computer and need to know how I can read
    > some of the discussion groups I'm read all the time that I do on msntv.
    > Pam-Doggirl3

    Well according to your message headers you posted this from your web TV,
    So yes you should be able to access your newsgroups, using a news reader
    client on your pc.

    JD
    JD, Mar 3, 2010

  3. Do you know the address to the new reader client or is that install? I
    trying to learn ahead of time that is.
    Pam-Doggirl3
    I love my doggie, Mar 3, 2010
  4. I love my doggie

    Paul Guest

    I love my doggie wrote:
    > I'm asking b/c I'm getting a computer and need to know how I can read
    > some of the discussion groups I'm read all the time that I do on msntv.
    > Pam-Doggirl3

    http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq

    http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

    Register for a news account, download a copy of Thunderbird from
    Mozilla.org, set up the account, and away you go.

    There are many servers that support reading, and a few that support
    posting of new articles for free. The above example supports posting.

    If you've set it up properly, the newsgroup list has about 30000
    groups or so (rough guess). If you're only seeing 11 groups or a
    small number, post back. It means you haven't set your news reader
    to "authenticate" or exchange username/password with the server.
    Once you're logged in, when you refresh the newsgroup list, a
    large number of group names should show up in the list.

    If you want binaries, a commercial account is best for that. A commercial
    account can take the form of a monthly fee, or bandwidth can be bought
    in "blocks". But for simple text posting, a free server is fine for that.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 3, 2010
  5. Thanks Paul for the info.
    Pam-Doggirl3
    I love my doggie, Mar 3, 2010
  6. I love my doggie

    JD Guest

    On 03/03/2010 9:52 PM, I love my doggie wrote:
    > Do you know the address to the new reader client or is that install? I
    > trying to learn ahead of time that is.
    > Pam-Doggirl3

    your ISP will more than likely have its own access to newsgroups you can
    get the details from there help desk or website.
    note that ISP's newsgroup servers may not carry all the groups you
    want or Follow Paul's instructions.

    JD
    JD, Mar 3, 2010
  7. Thanks everyone for answering my question. I also share one of the help
    suggestion to another alt group and they said there is no way to asset
    there webtv groups that is on the alt. group. So, Thanks again.
    Especially J.D for saying the same as they said.
    Pam-Doggirl3
    I love my doggie, Mar 4, 2010
  8. I love my doggie

    Paul Guest

    I love my doggie wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for answering my question. I also share one of the help
    > suggestion to another alt group and they said there is no way to asset
    > there webtv groups that is on the alt. group. So, Thanks again.
    > Especially J.D for saying the same as they said.
    > Pam-Doggirl3

    The reason I recommended a free, third-party USENET provider, is
    I did not expect your new ISP to have USENET. In the USA, it is
    a dying breed. You can thank Cuomo for accelerating the trend.
    My ISP dropped USENET maybe 5 years ago, and I've been using
    free servers ever since.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

    "In 2008, Verizon Communications, Time Warner Cable and Sprint Nextel signed
    an agreement with Attorney General of New York Andrew Cuomo to shut down
    access to sources of child pornography.[26] Time Warner Cable stopped offering
    access to Usenet. Verizon reduced its access to the "Big 8" hierarchies. Sprint
    stopped access to the alt.* hierarchies. AT&T stopped access to the
    alt.binaries.* hierarchies. Cuomo never specifically named Usenet in his anti-child
    pornography campaign. David DeJean of PC World said that some worry that the
    SPs used Cuomo's campaign as an excuse to end portions of Usenet access, as it
    is costly for the internet service providers.

    In 2008 AOL, which no longer offered Usenet access, and the four providers that
    responded to the Cuomo campaign were the five largest internet service providers
    in the United States; they had more than 50% of the U.S. ISP marketshare.[27]

    On June 8, 2009, AT&T announced that it would no longer provide access to the Usenet
    service as of July 15, 2009.[28]

    AOL announced that it would discontinue its integrated Usenet service in early 2005,
    citing the growing popularity of weblogs, chat forums and on-line conferencing.[29]
    The AOL community had a tremendous role in popularizing Usenet some 11 years earlier,
    with all of its positive and negative aspects. This change marked the end of the
    legendary Eternal September. Others, however, feel that Google Groups, especially with
    its new user interface, has picked up the torch that AOL has dropped—and that the
    so-called Eternal September has yet to end.

    In August, 2009, Verizon announced that it would discontinue access to Usenet on
    September 30, 2009."

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 4, 2010
  9. I love my doggie

    Julie Bove Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > On 03/03/2010 9:52 PM, I love my doggie wrote:
    >> Do you know the address to the new reader client or is that install? I
    >> trying to learn ahead of time that is.
    >> Pam-Doggirl3
    >>

    > your ISP will more than likely have its own access to newsgroups you can
    > get the details from there help desk or website.
    > note that ISP's newsgroup servers may not carry all the groups you want
    > or Follow Paul's instructions.

    Many ISP's allow only limited newsgroups these days if any at all. There
    are plenty of free ones out there. I am using eternal-september.org.
    Julie Bove, Mar 4, 2010
  10. I love my doggie

    Bill Guest

    As Alex has posted, and the posters at WEBTV have told you, you
    cannot access the WEBTV groups with a PC. Only WEBTV and MSNTV 2 users
    can access them. They are behind a firewall.

    You can access these usenet groups and WEBTV groups with a WEBTV box,
    but with a PC you cannot do that. Only usenet groups with a PC.

    I think that you are confused as to what is a WEBTV only group and
    what is a usenet group. If the name of the group starts with
    "Alt.Discuss", that is a WEBTV group. If the word "Discuss" is not
    there, then that is a usenet group.
    Bill, Mar 4, 2010