  1. Would like to network my 2 computers one is 3 years old and has XP the other
    is 10 years old and has 95. The main problem is I cannot use the scanner and
    printer on XP therefore would like to be able to read them across the network.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=, Aug 13, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    Guest

    Shirley wrote:
    > Would like to network my 2 computers one is 3 years old and has XP the other
    > is 10 years old and has 95. The main problem is I cannot use the scanner and
    > printer on XP therefore would like to be able to read them across the network.

    You have stumbled into the wrong group for your
    situation. This is a Win x64 group - 64-bit.

    You probably need to go to the Windows 95
    Networking group: microsoft.public.win95.networking
    , Aug 13, 2006

  3. Your boot partition will have to be FAT-32 and not NTFS.
    --
    Wherever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 13, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Hmm? The file system on the XP machine shouldn't make any difference if
    they are talking over the network.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Aaron is correct. It matters not at all what the underlying file system is
    on the XP machine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Shirley wrote:
    > Would like to network my 2 computers one is 3 years old and has XP the other
    > is 10 years old and has 95. The main problem is I cannot use the scanner and
    > printer on XP therefore would like to be able to read them across the network.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/en-us

    Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't
    always true of scanners. You'll be able to share the scanner only if
    it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

    You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately
    eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software
    (that comes with the scanner) to do this. If you're talking about a
    home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very
    probably can't.

    HP, Canon, Xerox, Océ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies
    manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function
    devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the
    requisite specialized software. The cost of such devices usually
    starts somewhere just below $5,000.00 USD.

    The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher,
    which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners,
    permits some of the scanning functions to be shared. Consult the
    documentation that came with the scanner. (I know it works, if not
    very well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be
    shared, using the supplied software.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrum Russell
    Bruce Chambers, Aug 13, 2006
  7. You can share the printer, but you cannot share the scanner, a scanner is
    not a networkable device... unless it's specifically built for the purpose.
    Epson make some nice ones, they start at around $3,000.

    See:
    http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Six.htm

    Once you've sorted out the network problem. Others have given you great
    links for this.
    www.coribright.com/Windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 13, 2006
  8. While Windows XP can see FAT-16 if pre OSR 2 and FAT-32, if you want large
    capaticity support, Windows 95 OSR2 or B version or above); Windows 95 can
    not access files on an NTFS partition and Windows NT can not access files on
    a FAT-32 based partion where Windows XP can. Windows 95 and 98 must be
    installed on an FAT based partition. The boot.ini will end up on that
    partition, Windows XP may be installed on an NTFS partition after Windows 9x
    is installed if desired. Here are the limitations to to an FAT based
    partition: No file level security support, no disk quotas, not encrypted file
    system, and no remote storage. If installing XP on a system with an FAT I
    would never store any critical files on the FAT based partition if the
    machine will be networked in any manner due to the lack of file level
    security.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 13, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    This is true, but he's talking about two different machines...
    Windows 9x has no trouble reading files shared by a Windows XP machine on an
    NTFS drive (over the network). It only can't read the drives if they are
    actually attached to the Windows 9x machine.

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 13, 2006
  10. Across a network... of course it can. On a local drive, you're correct.
    www.coribright.com/Windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 13, 2006
  11. Opps, my bad.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 13, 2006
  12. One thing though, if you will have both machines joining a Windows 2k or 2k3
    domain the DC's must be in Mixed mode and can not be in Native mode if you
    wish your downlevel clients to be able to access them.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 13, 2006
  13. Shudder. I try to avoid having anyone use the networking wizard if at all
    possible. It's fine if all your machines are XP and you fit all their
    criteria. But otherwise...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  14. I don't think we're dealing with a domain network here. All indications are
    a home network. And most home networks don't run SBS 2003 R2 like mine does.
    <G>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  15. Know what you mean, not too many people have a Windows 2003 server, 5
    workstations, 1 Cisco 2900xl switch, 2 routers, 2 cable modems, 2 gigabit
    switches, 2 printers and a laptop either at home either. Wonder why? :)

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 14, 2006
  16. Is that all? No wonder you're so challenged. ;)

    Try about 3x that here. Well, except the cable modems. Only one of those,
    and a DSL modem, and a nice little dual WAN Xincom router.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2006
  17. Hey, every play with InstallRite, used to build install packages? Its a
    cheap way to get those programs that don't want to install on x64 to deploy.
    Install them on an x86 based machine and then build an install package. Just
    have to be carefull what regkeys you allow it to import onto the x64 machine.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 14, 2006
  18. As to your sig, my idea of a bad day is heading off to work and hearing the
    evacuation routes being given on the car radio.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 14, 2006
  19. And no Access Points either... I have three of them!
    www.coribright.com/Windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Aug 14, 2006
  20. What?

    If you were to put your foot down, you could punch in and still get paid?
    :0)

    Tony. . .

    > As to your sig, my idea of a bad day is heading off to work and hearing

    the
    > evacuation routes being given on the car radio.
    >
    > "DeathNACan" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey, every play with InstallRite, used to build install packages? Its a
    > > cheap way to get those programs that don't want to install on x64 to
    > > deploy.
    > > Install them on an x86 based machine and then build an install package.
    > > Just
    > > have to be carefull what regkeys you allow it to import onto the x64
    > > machine.
    > > --
    > > Wherever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be

    you
    > > saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your

    order
    > > please?"
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is that all? No wonder you're so challenged. ;)
    > >>
    > >> Try about 3x that here. Well, except the cable modems. Only one of

    those,
    > >> and a DSL modem, and a nice little dual WAN Xincom router.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Charlie.
    > >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    like