    regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
    Thanks,
    Tony

    t, Sep 22, 2005

  2. t

    Rick Merrill Guest

    t wrote:

    > Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
    > computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
    > burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
    > drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
    > regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
    > Thanks,
    > Tony

    Sure, but it depends on YOUR hardware (i.e. probably NOT) and software
    (probably you can mount more than two dozen 'drives' connected via USB, etc.

    Rick Merrill, Sep 22, 2005

  3. t

    JIm Guest

    t wrote:
    > Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
    > computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
    > burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
    > drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
    > regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
    > Thanks,
    > Tony

    You can install addon cards into the PCI bus slot and have additional
    ATA or SATA Ports Normally called host adaptors.
    \or the expensive way would be to get a SCSI Interface card and get a
    few SCSI hard drives hooked up. Or easy peeZy - way take out say x1 Rom
    drive -Install into a 3.5" usb/2 or firewire drive enclosure and plug n go.

    Lots of different options if you do add more drives etc :
    (Make sure your power supply can cope)

    JIm, Sep 22, 2005
  4. t

    t Guest

    I was hoping to install a controller card rather than getting a case
    plus usb connection for device

    t, Sep 22, 2005
  5. t

    dadiOH Guest

    t wrote:
    > I was hoping to install a controller card rather than getting a case
    > plus usb connection for device

    So do it, cards are cheap.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Sep 22, 2005
  6. t

    JANA Guest

    Most mother boards will support up to 4 drives through the IDE ports. If
    your mother board supports ATA type drives, then you can add more, but they
    must be the ATA type that is supported by the mother board. You can also add
    a controller card if this is necessary.

    Windows can directly control up to 24 hard drive type devices.

    An easy solution is to consider a firewire or network type drive. This gives
    you the flexibility of the drive being portable.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 22, 2005
  7. t

    George Guest

    t wrote:
    > Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
    > computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
    > burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
    > drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
    > regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
    > Thanks,
    > Tony

    I have 4 hard drives and 2 dvd burners. 2 hard drives and 2 burners
    connected to the motherboard ide connectors, and 2 hard drives connected to
    a plug in card. XP adds drive letters in sequence so I have C and D hard
    drives, E and F dvd burners, and then G and H as hard drives.

    George, Sep 22, 2005