    -Lost
    Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.
    No I am not.
    -Lost, Aug 11, 2007

  2. -Lost

    Mike Easter Guest

    -Lost wrote:
    > If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    > there a way to find out the URL?
    >
    > The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    > viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    > general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
    I go there.

    http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
    instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
    going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.

    <snip>
    You currently have the preview feature enabled.
    Click here to disable previews.
    The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
    </snip>

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 11, 2007

  3. -Lost

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-11, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > -Lost wrote:
    >> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >> there a way to find out the URL?
    >>
    >> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    > At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
    > I go there.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
    > instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
    > going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.
    >
    > <snip>
    > You currently have the preview feature enabled.
    > Click here to disable previews.
    > The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
    > </snip>

    Even better, encourage people to quote both the actual URL and the
    shortened alternative, so that everyone can see what the link is meant to
    be.

    I prefer <http://qurl.net/> <http://shurl.net/> <http://shortlinks.co.uk/>
    and other such services that always take one first to a page displaying the
    actual URL and give one a chance to stop before going there. See also
    <http://notlong.com/links/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 11, 2007
  4. -Lost wrote:

    > If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    > there a way to find out the URL?

    Instead of blindly clicking on the TinyURL, copy and paste it into your
    location bar, and add "preview." to it before pressing Enter.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/<code-to-page>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 11, 2007
  5. -Lost

    Tester Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:15:19 -0500, "-Lost"
    <> wrote:

    >If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
    >a way to find out the URL?
    >
    >The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
    >enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
    >ways could one go about finding the URL?

    URLSniffer (donationcoder.com) is a begware Windows program which
    tells which URL's (default is multimedia-type URL's but it can be set
    up for all) are being requested by your computer. It's sort of a
    packet sniffer.

    With TinyURL you could probably just use the HTTP HEAD command.
    There'a little freeware windows program called viewhead but I've haded
    for so long I forget where I got it. It would help to have a valid
    tinyurl.com link here.

    Let's see - if we look at Google Groups for tinyurl.com since Friday
    we get the first hit is http://tinyurl.com/o8m9t

    and this tells me that the location is a Google-UK search for some
    sorta sports junk. so it works.

    To do this with just telnet, run telnet.
    Set localecho so you can see what you're typing.
    open tinyurl.com 80
    Now, type very carefully because backspace won't work correctly.
    In this case, you need the following lines:

    HEAD /o8m9t HTTP/1.1
    HOST: tinyurl.com

    (ending with 2 carriage returns)
    Tester, Aug 11, 2007
  6. -Lost

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Xns998935D85F990lostthreads@216.196.97.136 "-Lost"
    <> wrote:

    > If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    > there a way to find out the URL?

    Go to http://tinyurl.com/preview.php and enable preview.

    Rather than going directly to the target, you'll go to tinyurl's site and
    be shown the destination URL.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 11, 2007
  7. -Lost

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > -Lost wrote:
    >> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >> there a way to find out the URL?
    >>
    >> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    > At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link
    > before
    > I go there.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
    > instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
    > going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview
    > feature.
    >
    > <snip>
    > You currently have the preview feature enabled.
    > Click here to disable previews.
    > The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web
    > browser.
    > </snip>

    Requires you keep their cookie so visiting their web site will have the
    preview mode enabled.
    Vanguard, Aug 11, 2007
  8. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-08-11, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    >> -Lost wrote:
    >>> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >>> there a way to find out the URL?
    >>>
    >>> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >>> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >>> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    >> At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link before
    >> I go there.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
    >> instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
    >> going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >> You currently have the preview feature enabled.
    >> Click here to disable previews.
    >> The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
    >> </snip>

    > Even better, encourage people to quote both the actual URL and the
    > shortened alternative, so that everyone can see what the link is meant to
    > be.

    And if you include "preview" in the URL you've shortened, Tiny will show
    them the true path and wait for approval or rejection from them.
    Example:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2zasgs

    That's for *other* people...

    > I prefer <http://qurl.net/> <http://shurl.net/> <http://shortlinks.co.uk/>
    > and other such services that always take one first to a page displaying the
    > actual URL and give one a chance to stop before going there. See also

    ....and this is for you:

    Which, as Mike said, Tiny will always do *for you* if you tell it to.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2007
  9. Tester wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:15:19 -0500, "-Lost"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
    >>a way to find out the URL?
    >>
    >>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
    >>enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
    >>ways could one go about finding the URL?

    > URLSniffer (donationcoder.com) is a begware Windows program which
    > tells which URL's (default is multimedia-type URL's but it can be set
    > up for all) are being requested by your computer. It's sort of a
    > packet sniffer.
    >
    > With TinyURL you could probably just use the HTTP HEAD command.

    With TinyURL you could just use their preview feature to be shown the
    URL and asked if you want to go there. Complication is certainly an
    option, but it's an unnecessary one.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 11, 2007
  10. -Lost

    Guest

    "-Lost" <> wrote:

    >If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is there
    >a way to find out the URL?
    >
    >The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF viewing
    >enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in general, what other
    >ways could one go about finding the URL?

    Opera:
    Download it
    Right click and select "Copy File information"
    paste it in notepad and grab the link.

    --

    Neighborhood slut
    www.speeds-cartoons.com/images/images72/neighborhood-slut.jpg
  11. wrote:
    > "-Lost" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >>there a way to find out the URL?
    >>
    >>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >>viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >>general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    > Opera: Download it Right click and select "Copy File information"
    > paste it in notepad and grab the link.

    I don't understand all the kludges in this thread when TinyURL *itself*
    provides two ways to preview a URL -- one for the person clicking the
    TinyURL link, and one way to *create* a TinyURL link so that *everyone*
    clicking it will see the URL preview. And these simple *RIGHT IN
    TINYURL ITSELF* solutions have been outlined here.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2007
  12. -Lost

    Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> "-Lost" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >>>there a way to find out the URL?
    >>>
    >>>The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >>>viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >>>general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    >> Opera: Download it Right click and select "Copy File information"
    >> paste it in notepad and grab the link.

    >I don't understand all the kludges in this thread when TinyURL *itself*
    >provides two ways to preview a URL -- one for the person clicking the
    >TinyURL link, and one way to *create* a TinyURL link so that *everyone*
    >clicking it will see the URL preview. And these simple *RIGHT IN
    >TINYURL ITSELF* solutions have been outlined here.

    The tinyurl has to be selected to offer a preview, I never do as I
    delete cookies each time the browser is closed.

    It was just another way to find out where the file is from.

  13. wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Opera: Download it Right click and select "Copy File information"
    >>> paste it in notepad and grab the link.

    >>I don't understand all the kludges in this thread when TinyURL *itself*
    >>provides two ways to preview a URL -- one for the person clicking the
    >>TinyURL link, and one way to *create* a TinyURL link so that *everyone*
    >>clicking it will see the URL preview. And these simple *RIGHT IN
    >>TINYURL ITSELF* solutions have been outlined here.

    > The tinyurl has to be selected to offer a preview, I never do as I

    If you don't select it, why is its destination an issue? "I'm not going
    there, but I'm still afraid of it!" Huh?

    > delete cookies each time the browser is closed.

    I doubt that that's a dangerous cookie.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2007
  14. -Lost

    Guest

    , Aug 12, 2007
  15. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    Blinky the Shark's response:

    > And if you include "preview" in the URL you've shortened, Tiny will

    show
    > them the true path and wait for approval or rejection from them.
    > Example:
    >
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/2zasgs

    Neat tip, thanks!

    > That's for *other* people...

    Man, erm... shark... I was reading that and getting one of those tingly
    feelings. Especially since I know firsthand the type of memories
    elephants possess.

    And then I got to the end and laughed. Then I felt bad for laughing.

    What have you done to me!?

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  16. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    Mike Easter's response:

    > -Lost wrote:
    >> If for example a TinyURL link led straight to a downloadable file, is
    >> there a way to find out the URL?
    >>
    >> The example that caught my eye was a PDF, so I imagine if I had PDF
    >> viewing enabled in my browser I could get it that way... but in
    >> general, what other ways could one go about finding the URL?

    > At tiny I'm configured to 'preview' the location of the tiny link

    before
    > I go there.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/preview.php Preview a TinyURL - Don't want to be
    > instantly redirected to a TinyURL and instead want to see where it's
    > going before going to the site? Not a problem with our preview feature.
    >
    > <snip>
    > You currently have the preview feature enabled.
    > Click here to disable previews.
    > The preview feature requires cookies to be enabled in your web browser.
    > </snip>

    I never thought to check at TinyURL to see if they had a configuration
    option. Thanks for that.

    I'll probably use the put preview in the URL trick that Blinky gave
    though. I don't need another cookie on this poor old machine.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  17. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    ,

    Dammit. I have forgotten where exactly I asked you this, so I'll ask it
    again here (and this time I'm making a note of it).

    Do you manually randomize the URLs in your signature or do you have a
    program that does it for you?

    If you already replied to the other thread where I asked you, please direct
    me to that one.

    My memory is busted, sorry.

    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  18. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    OT: Pennywise the elusive.

    Blinky the Shark's response:

    > wrote:

    Totally off-topic, but I was wondering something.

    In Xnews, when I reply to , it does *not* place
    them in the response like it should (via the attribution lines).

    I guess %a doesn't fire because it looks like an e-mail? Which is
    stupid... it should use whatever the hell it finds in the From header.

    So, any idea on how to fix that aside from using %e or %f?

    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  19. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    -Lost's response: "-Lost" <>

    > ,
    >
    > Dammit. I have forgotten where exactly I asked you this, so I'll ask
    > it again here (and this time I'm making a note of it).
    >
    > Do you manually randomize the URLs in your signature or do you have a
    > program that does it for you?
    >
    > If you already replied to the other thread where I asked you, please
    > direct me to that one.
    >
    > My memory is busted, sorry.

    Har har! Ignore me, I've found it and your response.

    Thanks.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  20. -Lost wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark's response:
    >
    >> And if you include "preview" in the URL you've shortened, Tiny will

    > show
    >> them the true path and wait for approval or rejection from them.
    >> Example:
    >>
    >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2zasgs

    > Neat tip, thanks!
    >
    >> That's for *other* people...

    > Man, erm... shark... I was reading that and getting one of those tingly
    > feelings. Especially since I know firsthand the type of memories
    > elephants possess.
    >
    > And then I got to the end and laughed. Then I felt bad for laughing.
    >
    > What have you done to me!?

    Resistance is futile.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2007