Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information using freeware?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by EXIF Info, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. EXIF Info

    EXIF Info Guest

    Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
    freeware?

    Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)

    There must be a combination of freeware out there that allows export of
    exif information, text editing, and then import of the resultant file.

    There must be someone out there smart enough to figure this out (smarter
    than me, that's for sure, 'cuz I can't find a way to do it).

    In a related thread (on freeware editing of EXIF data), it was mentioned
    that some programs can export XML which can then be editited and imported
    back in - but I tried every suggested program and can not accomplish the
    simple task.

    Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
    file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
    into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?

    If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?
    EXIF Info, Jun 27, 2008

  2. EXIF Info

    Ofnuts Guest

    Re: Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF informationusing freeware?

    EXIF Info wrote:
    > Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
    > freeware?

    There is even software to do it directly without the intermediate
    text/XML. Google it.

    > Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)

    I know.

    > If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

    My mom agrees with you.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 27, 2008

  3. EXIF Info

    Dan Cline Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:53:31 -0500, lid wrote:

    >> Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
    >> file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
    >> into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?

    > No, but the Exiftool docs seem to make it possible.

    You have to be careful here. Exiftool imports only what it exported.
    You can't edit the intermediary file.

    AFIK, to answer the OP, there isn't any tool that will import a file that
    you previously edited. They don't want to risk the crashes so they will
    only import exactly what they exported.
    Dan Cline, Jun 27, 2008
  4. EXIF Info

    Dan Cline Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

    >> How did you do it?

    > My mom agrees with you.

    Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.

    If there were, someone would say so.

    The reason no tool will read in an edited exif text file is because the
    tool developers don't want to risk the inevitable crashes that would occur.

    All exif editing tools will only edit their own proprietary binary files
    and then read in only their own binary exif information.

    It would be nice if there were an exif standard but there isn't.
    Dan Cline, Jun 27, 2008
  5. EXIF Info

    Dave Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:26:15 -0700, Dan Cline wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
    >
    >>> How did you do it?

    >> My mom agrees with you.

    > Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.
    >
    > If there were, someone would say so.

    There is such in Linux, but I'll let the OP search for it himself as he
    seems bent on nefarious ways that the photography world can do without.
    (or trying to scam personals sites with false info as he mentioned).

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a
    Dave, Jun 27, 2008
  6. EXIF Info

    Dan Cline wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:13:34 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
    >
    >>> How did you do it?

    >> My mom agrees with you.

    > Give up. There is no exif editing tool that will read in a text file.
    >
    > If there were, someone would say so.

    There is at least one...

    > The reason no tool will read in an edited exif text file is because the
    > tool developers don't want to risk the inevitable crashes that would occur.

    Changing the Exifs in a file is no more complicated that rewriting them
    together with a modified version of the picture (PS, PSP, GIMP...)

    > All exif editing tools will only edit their own proprietary binary files
    > and then read in only their own binary exif information.

    Something which is ignored by the author of the software I just used. Of
    course he is not using binary files to export the exifs, he uses XML.
    And as a software developer myself, I can tell you that playing with
    exifs is ridiculously easy compared to writing a working JPEG
    encoder/decoder from scratch, for instance.

    > It would be nice if there were an exif standard but there isn't.

    There is a standard for the core stuff (http://www.exif.org/, and in
    particular http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF). This format defines 1) how
    data items are stored, so anyone can come up with tags for his own
    purpose, and 2) a common set of core tags (standard enough for the
    Windows explorer to use it (check the columns you can use in a "details"
    view)). Of course camera makers have added their own extensions and they
    may even use different extensions depending on model.

    Reading/writing this data isn't difficult, even if the software doesn't
    know what the purpose of a given tag would be (and so could not display
    a human-friendly name). In fact anyone familiar with binary editors can
    patch up the data quite easily since most of it is fixed-length.

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 27, 2008
  7. EXIF Info

    Bill Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:16:22 -0700, EXIF Info <>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to Export, Textedit, & then Import EXIF information with
    >freeware?
    >
    >Has you ever done it yourself? (if so, you're a genius!)
    >
    >There must be a combination of freeware out there that allows export of
    >exif information, text editing, and then import of the resultant file.
    >
    >There must be someone out there smart enough to figure this out (smarter
    >than me, that's for sure, 'cuz I can't find a way to do it).
    >
    >In a related thread (on freeware editing of EXIF data), it was mentioned
    >that some programs can export XML which can then be editited and imported
    >back in - but I tried every suggested program and can not accomplish the
    >simple task.
    >
    >Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
    >file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
    >into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?
    >
    >If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

    The freeware "Exifer" should do what you want.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html

    HTH
    Bill
    Bill, Jun 28, 2008
  8. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:29:07 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

    > anyone familiar with binary editors can
    > patch up Exif data quite easily since most of it is fixed-length

    There is no software extant that imports Exif information from a text file.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  9. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:53:31 -0500, lid wrote:

    >> Have you ever exported EXIF information to a text (or xml, csv, doc, etc.)
    >> file, edited that file, and then successfully imported the results back
    >> into a digital photograph using Windows freeware?
    >>
    >> If so, you're a genious. How did you do it?

    > No, but the Exiftool docs seem to make it possible.

    The Exiftool docs merely state you can COPY the Exif information to the
    Windows clipboard or you can export the Exif information to a proprietary
    binary format.

    The latter can be read back but the former editable form can not.

    If it could, someone would have said so.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  10. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:51:30 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > And yes it is relatively easy (for a programmer) to
    > write Exif data into an image file from a text file.
    > Virtually every image editing program does it!

    Name one.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  11. EXIF Info

    Tom wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:51:30 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >
    >> And yes it is relatively easy (for a programmer) to
    >> write Exif data into an image file from a text file.
    >> Virtually every image editing program does it!

    > Name one.

    GIMP, Photoshop (various versions), Adobe Lightroom, Paintshop Pro,
    XNView, IrfanView... When they save pictures, these programs have to
    write the exifs, too!

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 28, 2008
  12. EXIF Info

    Tom wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:29:07 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
    >
    >> anyone familiar with binary editors can
    >> patch up Exif data quite easily since most of it is fixed-length

    > There is no software extant that imports Exif information from a text file.

    You're mistaken. But note that I wasn't even talking about editing a
    text file, I was talking about editing the binary data directly by
    poking the new values in the right bytes, something people really
    familiar with computers(*) know how to do.

    (*) Say, those who understand hexadecimal notation
    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 28, 2008
  13. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:14:53 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

    >> Name one.

    > GIMP, Photoshop (various versions), Adobe Lightroom, Paintshop Pro,
    > XNView, IrfanView... When they save pictures, these programs have to
    > write the exifs, too!

    Hi Ofnuts,
    I don't know if you're being obtuse on purpose or if you misunderstand the
    question........

    None of these programs can import T-E-X-T Exif information!
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  14. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:33:10 -0500, l v wrote:

    > This means that exiflist and exifedit can be used in combination to
    > transfer fields from one image file to another. For example:

    Any program can TRANSFER Exif information from one JPG to another.
    And, any program can EDIT the Exif information in the JPG.

    But, the question is whether the INTERMEDIARY file between exiflist and
    exifedit is TEXT.

    If exiflist outputs TEXT and if exifedit imports that edited TEXT, then we
    have a winner.

    If not, then my astute assertion that there isn't a photo editor extant
    that can import Exif text would still be true.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  15. EXIF Info

    Dave Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:00:55 -0700, Tom wrote:

    > But, the question is whether the INTERMEDIARY file between exiflist and
    > exifedit is TEXT.
    >
    > If exiflist outputs TEXT and if exifedit imports that edited TEXT, then
    > we have a winner.
    >
    > If not, then my astute assertion that there isn't a photo editor extant
    > that can import Exif text would still be true.

    http://www.exiv2.org/sample.html#modify

    So much for ass-tooting assertions.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 28, 2008
  16. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:58:09 -0700, Tom wrote:

    > None of these programs can import T-E-X-T Exif information!

    I just saw what I wrote and was apalled.
    I apologize for being a rudish to you ..... you were only trying to help
    ...... I was exasperated ....... but that's no excuse. I'm sorry .......

    The fact remains, until someone makes a more astute observation than I

    There is no program extant that imports TEXT Exif information files (I'm
    checking on Iv's assertion that ExifUtils exports and imports TEXT Exif
    files but I wanted to get this apology out fast because I should not have
    been rude to someone trying to help).
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  17. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:14:07 -0400, Bill wrote:

    > The freeware "Exifer" should do what you want.
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html

    Exifer does not import TEXT Exif information.

    The astute observation remains ...

    There is no known Windows software that reads TEXT Exif information.

    This observation includes Exiv2, which writes Exif information (just like
    many other programs) to a text file but which does not IMPORT it back from
    that TEXT file.

    So far, this astute observation also includes ExifUtils as far as anyone
    has proven but I'm still checking that one.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  18. EXIF Info

    Tom wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:58:09 -0700, Tom wrote:
    >
    >> None of these programs can import T-E-X-T Exif information!

    > I just saw what I wrote and was apalled.
    > I apologize for being a rudish to you ..... you were only trying to help
    > ..... I was exasperated ....... but that's no excuse. I'm sorry .......
    >
    > The fact remains, until someone makes a more astute observation than I
    >
    > There is no program extant that imports TEXT Exif information files (I'm
    > checking on Iv's assertion that ExifUtils exports and imports TEXT Exif
    > files but I wanted to get this apology out fast because I should not have
    > been rude to someone trying to help).

    EXIFEditor (http://www.kiwiczech.net/index.php?menu=353&sub=4) exports
    Exif data in an XML file (which is editable with a plain text editor,
    such as the Notepad) and imports Exif data from the same XML (with
    changes if needed, I have tried).

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jun 28, 2008
  19. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:26:45 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > http://www.exiv2.org/sample.html#modify
    > So much for ass-tooting assertions.

    Hi there Dave,

    Did I offend you somehow by being more knowledgeable? If so, I'm sorry.

    I've long held the astute assertion that no Windows tool imports TEXT Exif
    information. I wish one tool would import Exif TEXT information but I know
    more than most and I've never seen one.

    I've checked the pages you assert that do import Exif TEXT information and
    can find nothing that supports your assertion that exiv2 imports TEXT Exif
    information.

    Who is right? You or me?

    I'd be very glad to be wrong (keeping in mind, I know more than most of
    you) if someone can show us where in exiv2 the command is to IMPORT TEXT
    Exif information? All, exiv2 does is MODIFY the binary Exif information
    which any number of freeware programs can do.

    Likewise no other tool on those web pages does either, for example:
    * exifprint.cpp reads & prints Exif metadata - it does not IMPORT TEXT!
    * iptcprint.cpp also reads and prints Exif - but it does not IMPORT TEXT!
    * addmoddel.cpp will add, modify, and delete Exif BINARY data - not TEXT!
    * iptceasy.cpp writes IPTC metadata to a file - it does NOT import TEXT!

    Again, I don't mean to be rude. I am just very knowledgeable and I know of
    no Windows program that imports TEXT Exif metadata. If someone elese out
    there does, then please call me a pompous ass but also back it up with an
    assertion that proves to be true.

    Doesn't ANYONE know of a Windows freeware program that imports Exif
    metadata from a TEXT file?
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008
  20. EXIF Info

    Tom Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:51:28 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >>> GIMP, Photoshop (various versions), Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop,
    >>> XNView, IrfanView... When they save pictures, these programs have to
    >>> write the exifs, too!

    >>Hi Ofnuts,
    >>I don't know if you're being obtuse on purpose or if you misunderstand the
    >>question........
    >>
    >>None of these programs can import T-E-X-T Exif information!

    > Any of them than has a scripting option do in fact have
    > the ability to import from a text file.

    Irfanview has a script option to import a text Exif metadata file?
    Not possible.

    XNView has a script option that imports a text Exif metadata file?
    No way.

    The Gimp can import a text Exif metadata file?
    Nope.

    Photoshop imports text Exif metadata files?
    Absolutely not (AFAIK) but it's not Windows freeware anyway.

    I wish I were wrong, but, the astute observation remains, there is no
    Windows freeware extant that imports Exif metadata from a text file.
    Tom, Jun 28, 2008