Is It Possible To Download Music Legally Anymore?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by faster1234@163.com, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Throughout the past few years downloading music on the internethas
    increased in popularity. At the same time though, it hasbecome illegal
    through many companies to download music asmusicians and artists have
    been losing money on their CD sales.With many people being sued in the
    past couple years fordownloading music, is it really possible to
    download musiclegally anymore? If so, at what price will it cost you
    todownload music?

    As music sites such as Napster and Kazaa and many more haveattempted
    to create sites to download music for free, they havejust increased
    the problem that much more. Some of the users ofthese programs have
    learned the hard way that music does notcome free, as they were sued
    for illegally downloading music.

    Today there are many sites in which you can download music atwhere
    they claim it is 100% legal. The latest music fileformats used are
    Windows? Media (WMA), Advanced Acoustic Coding(AAC) and Atrac 3, and
    are very popular as it increases thesound quality making it closer to
    an actual CD bought in stores.Another great advantage is that many
    sites such asSonicSelector Service on MSN allow you to preview the
    musicbefore buying it. Many sites today also offer a three-day trialof
    their music downloading site, and then after that you willhave to
    begin paying a monthly fee. So it is possible todownload music legally
    online, but at what cost?

    Pressplay.com offers unlimited music for a price of $9.95 permonth and
    then you also have to install the software from theirsite. The
    downloaded music is non-burnable and once yoursubscription runs out
    you no longer have access to any of yoursongs. Rhapsody at listen.com
    also charges $9.95 per month fornon-burnable music, but instead of
    downloading the music youdownload a music player that gives you access
    to the songs.

    Now you can download music and you know the basic price permonth for
    non-burnable songs. However, most people downloadmusic so that they
    can burn their favorite CD with a variety ofsongs. Transferring these
    songs onto a CD or a personal MP3player will cost you even

    http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Entertainment/20060925/13994.html
    , Jan 30, 2008

  2. sandy58 Guest

    On Jan 30, 4:19 am, wrote:
    > Throughout the past few years downloading music on the internethas
    > increased in popularity. At the same time though, it hasbecome illegal
    > through many companies to download music asmusicians and artists have
    > been losing money on their CD sales.With many people being sued in the
    > past couple years fordownloading music, is it really possible to
    > download musiclegally anymore? If so, at what price will it cost you
    > todownload music?
    >
    > As music sites such as Napster and Kazaa and many more haveattempted
    > to create sites to download music for free, they havejust increased
    > the problem that much more. Some of the users ofthese programs have
    > learned the hard way that music does notcome free, as they were sued
    > for illegally downloading music.
    >
    > Today there are many sites in which you can download music atwhere
    > they claim it is 100% legal. The latest music fileformats used are
    > Windows? Media (WMA), Advanced Acoustic Coding(AAC) and Atrac 3, and
    > are very popular as it increases thesound quality making it closer to
    > an actual CD bought in stores.Another great advantage is that many
    > sites such asSonicSelector Service on MSN allow you to preview the
    > musicbefore buying it. Many sites today also offer a three-day trialof
    > their music downloading site, and then after that you willhave to
    > begin paying a monthly fee. So it is possible todownload music legally
    > online, but at what cost?
    >
    > Pressplay.com offers unlimited music for a price of $9.95 permonth and
    > then you also have to install the software from theirsite. The
    > downloaded music is non-burnable and once yoursubscription runs out
    > you no longer have access to any of yoursongs. Rhapsody at listen.com
    > also charges $9.95 per month fornon-burnable music, but instead of
    > downloading the music youdownload a music player that gives you access
    > to the songs.
    >
    > Now you can download music and you know the basic price permonth for
    > non-burnable songs. However, most people downloadmusic so that they
    > can burn their favorite CD with a variety ofsongs. Transferring these
    > songs onto a CD or a personal MP3player will cost you even
    >
    > http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Entertainment/20060925/13994.html

    http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)
    sandy58, Jan 30, 2008

  3. sandy58 Guest

    On Jan 30, 10:02 am, sandy58 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 4:19 am, wrote:
    >

    > > Throughout the past few years downloading music on the internethas
    > > increased in popularity. At the same time though, it hasbecome illegal
    > > through many companies to download music asmusicians and artists have
    > > been losing money on their CD sales.With many people being sued in the
    > > past couple years fordownloading music, is it really possible to
    > > download musiclegally anymore? If so, at what price will it cost you
    > > todownload music?

    > > As music sites such as Napster and Kazaa and many more haveattempted
    > > to create sites to download music for free, they havejust increased
    > > the problem that much more. Some of the users ofthese programs have
    > > learned the hard way that music does notcome free, as they were sued
    > > for illegally downloading music.

    > > Today there are many sites in which you can download music atwhere
    > > they claim it is 100% legal. The latest music fileformats used are
    > > Windows? Media (WMA), Advanced Acoustic Coding(AAC) and Atrac 3, and
    > > are very popular as it increases thesound quality making it closer to
    > > an actual CD bought in stores.Another great advantage is that many
    > > sites such asSonicSelector Service on MSN allow you to preview the
    > > musicbefore buying it. Many sites today also offer a three-day trialof
    > > their music downloading site, and then after that you willhave to
    > > begin paying a monthly fee. So it is possible todownload music legally
    > > online, but at what cost?

    > > Pressplay.com offers unlimited music for a price of $9.95 permonth and
    > > then you also have to install the software from theirsite. The
    > > downloaded music is non-burnable and once yoursubscription runs out
    > > you no longer have access to any of yoursongs. Rhapsody at listen.com
    > > also charges $9.95 per month fornon-burnable music, but instead of
    > > downloading the music youdownload a music player that gives you access
    > > to the songs.

    > > Now you can download music and you know the basic price permonth for
    > > non-burnable songs. However, most people downloadmusic so that they
    > > can burn their favorite CD with a variety ofsongs. Transferring these
    > > songs onto a CD or a personal MP3player will cost you even

    > >http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Entertainment/20060925/13994.html

    > http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    > Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    PS. I use the free version.
    sandy58, Jan 30, 2008
  4. sdlomi2 Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 30, 10:02 am, sandy58 <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 30, 4:19 am, wrote:
    >>

    >> > Throughout the past few years downloading music on the internethas
    >> > increased in popularity. At the same time though, it hasbecome illegal
    >> > through many companies to download music asmusicians and artists have
    >> > been losing money on their CD sales.With many people being sued in the
    >> > past couple years fordownloading music, is it really possible to
    >> > download musiclegally anymore? If so, at what price will it cost you
    >> > todownload music?

    >> > As music sites such as Napster and Kazaa and many more haveattempted
    >> > to create sites to download music for free, they havejust increased
    >> > the problem that much more. Some of the users ofthese programs have
    >> > learned the hard way that music does notcome free, as they were sued
    >> > for illegally downloading music.

    >> > Today there are many sites in which you can download music atwhere
    >> > they claim it is 100% legal. The latest music fileformats used are
    >> > Windows? Media (WMA), Advanced Acoustic Coding(AAC) and Atrac 3, and
    >> > are very popular as it increases thesound quality making it closer to
    >> > an actual CD bought in stores.Another great advantage is that many
    >> > sites such asSonicSelector Service on MSN allow you to preview the
    >> > musicbefore buying it. Many sites today also offer a three-day trialof
    >> > their music downloading site, and then after that you willhave to
    >> > begin paying a monthly fee. So it is possible todownload music legally
    >> > online, but at what cost?

    >> > Pressplay.com offers unlimited music for a price of $9.95 permonth and
    >> > then you also have to install the software from theirsite. The
    >> > downloaded music is non-burnable and once yoursubscription runs out
    >> > you no longer have access to any of yoursongs. Rhapsody at listen.com
    >> > also charges $9.95 per month fornon-burnable music, but instead of
    >> > downloading the music youdownload a music player that gives you access
    >> > to the songs.

    >> > Now you can download music and you know the basic price permonth for
    >> > non-burnable songs. However, most people downloadmusic so that they
    >> > can burn their favorite CD with a variety ofsongs. Transferring these
    >> > songs onto a CD or a personal MP3player will cost you even

    >> >http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Entertainment/20060925/13994.html

    >> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    > PS. I use the free version.

    PS: Just mail the green stamps to me and we'll prolly both feel good
    about it--I KNOW I will!:) s
    sdlomi2, Jan 30, 2008
  5. Rôgêr Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    > Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    Just a hint, you're replying to a spammer. They don't give a shit about
    music, they just want to lure you to their site. And you reposted the
    entire spam treatise.
    Rôgêr, Jan 30, 2008
  6. richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 02:02:46 -0800 (PST), sandy58 <>
    wrote:

    >http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    <quote>
    Limewire, one of the world's most popular peer-to-peer filesharing
    applications, has received a lawsuit from the RIAA, who are demanding
    $115 million in damages, claiming the application promotes the
    infringement of copyright. Similar applications like Grokster and
    Kazaa have been forced to go legal and there is speculation as to just
    how long Limewire will resist until they have to buckle and pay up.
    The existence of the popular P2P application is not under threat, but
    if you haven't given it a try yet, here's just what makes it a
    standout program.
    </quote>

    The RIAA IMHO, sucks. They can not legally control copyright. The
    publisher of the work has already paid the author/performer. It is
    legal for me to share my property with whomever, however, I so choose.
    What I can not do with it, is sell it. Even then, I may be able to.
    Think of the thousands of copyrighted songs legally auctioned every
    year. And I don't mean on ebay either. The RIAA would have you believe
    the performer is entitled to a share of that $10,000 auction sale? I
    don't think so.

    Then M$ comes along and they demand YOU use their WMA format to
    prevent illegal copyright issues. You can't listen to your properly
    purchased music without a license. Even if you bought a CD at walmart
    and are stupid enough to use the WMA format. No license=no music.
    Then the RIAA has insisted that the vendors limit the number of times
    YOU can enjoy that music.

    Ahhh. But there is a way around this. Buy the music legally. While the
    license is intact, convert to MP3. Goodbye license.

    Furthermore, the RIAA cannot say that I can't legally share MY
    personal work with others if I want to. Not everything listed on p2p
    filesharing systems is under their jurisdiction. Actually, they don't
    even have jurisdiction. If I ever get challenged by them, I'll fight
    it in court tooth and nail.
    richard, Jan 30, 2008
  7. richard wrote:

    > The RIAA IMHO, sucks. They can not legally control copyright. The
    > publisher of the work has already paid the author/performer.

    You still don't get it. <sigh>

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 30, 2008
  8. Guest

    , Jan 30, 2008
  9. catchme Guest

    wrote:
    > sandy58 <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    > http://thepiratebay.org/
    >
    > Whatever you use, you should run PeerGuardian
    > http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ it's better than nothing.

    still looking for piratebay's upcoming 'securep2p', but there are
    certain pages from that swedish org. that are locked out (an ambigous
    and slightly ominous-looking "forbidden" message appears) from canada.
    i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.
    catchme, Jan 30, 2008
  10. Guest

    catchme <> wrote:

    >i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    >defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    >that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.

    They got what's theirs :) hacked and email distributed. remember never
    use your username as your password :)

    PEERGUARDIAN blocks media defender, but not so much anymore; I think
    they are done or laying low.

    I'm downloading the movie:
    The.Adventures.Of.Baron.Munchausen.(1988). Do check it out if you have
    a chance, Uma Thurman plays the goddess Venus :} and getting a lot of
    bittorrentinc blocks.
    --

    Observations on Lethality
    http://phocks.org/stumble/lethality.php
  11. Mara Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:38:21 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >sandy58 wrote:
    >> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    >Just a hint, you're replying to a spammer. They don't give a shit about
    >music, they just want to lure you to their site. And you reposted the
    >entire spam treatise.

    Not only that, Limewire is one of the best ways I know of to download malware. I
    fix those a LOT.

    --
    For every rational explanation there are an infinite number of
    irrational explanations. --Staple's Observation
    Mara, Jan 30, 2008
  12. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > Today there are many sites in which you can download music atwhere
    > they claim it is 100% legal. The latest music fileformats used are

    True. My son is in a band that has MP3s for free download.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 31, 2008
  13. richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:30:13 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >
    >> The RIAA IMHO, sucks. They can not legally control copyright. The
    >> publisher of the work has already paid the author/performer.

    >You still don't get it. <sigh>

    US Copyright laws say I can give you copyrighted material as a gift.
    What I can not do is publish and sell copies. Ergo, "copyright".
    The RIAA went after Napster for alleged copyright violations. Claiming
    Napster was distributing illegal copies. IOW pirating. The RIAA finds
    out how napster worked, then went after it's users.
    Next to come under fire, was the guy who wrote bittorrent. His site
    was shut down. Then, the RIAA begins to go after the actual people who
    download the alleged illegal copies.

    Napster comes back, making filesharing "legal" by making users pay for
    the service with the RIAA getting a cut. Yet, the copies are still
    illegal according to law.

    M$ to the rescue. We'll just make it more difficult for them to enjoy
    their paid for music. Tag a license on it and limit the number of
    times it can be played. If you want to burn it, that's gonna cost
    more. So the legal authorized vendors are now in cahoots with M$ and
    the RIAA and making YOU enjoy rightfully purchased music using the M$
    DRM'ed WMA format.

    Does the artist get a dime from all of this? I don't think so. And
    that is precisely what the RIAA is bitching about. It's not about the
    copyright laws, it's about making more money.
    richard, Jan 31, 2008
  14. richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:05:58 GMT, catchme <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> sandy58 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >>> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    >> http://thepiratebay.org/
    >>
    >> Whatever you use, you should run PeerGuardian
    >> http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ it's better than nothing.

    >still looking for piratebay's upcoming 'securep2p', but there are
    >certain pages from that swedish org. that are locked out (an ambigous
    >and slightly ominous-looking "forbidden" message appears) from canada.
    >i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    >defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    >that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.

    The RIAA succesfully shut down the site ran by the writer of
    Bittorrent.
    He wrote the program as an answer to the demise of Napster.
    In the hopes that tracking who was downloading what would be thwarted.
    richard, Jan 31, 2008
  15. richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:23:41 -0800, wrote:

    > catchme <> wrote:
    >
    >>i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    >>defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    >>that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.

    >They got what's theirs :) hacked and email distributed. remember never
    >use your username as your password :)
    >
    >PEERGUARDIAN blocks media defender, but not so much anymore; I think
    >they are done or laying low.
    >
    >I'm downloading the movie:
    >The.Adventures.Of.Baron.Munchausen.(1988). Do check it out if you have
    >a chance, Uma Thurman plays the goddess Venus :} and getting a lot of
    >bittorrentinc blocks.

    What I don't like of torrents is, it takes forever to get even a small
    file.
    While you're downloading, 10 other people are uploading from you
    causing your end to be slow.
    richard, Jan 31, 2008
  16. richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:36:51 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:38:21 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>sandy58 wrote:
    >>> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >>> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    >>Just a hint, you're replying to a spammer. They don't give a shit about
    >>music, they just want to lure you to their site. And you reposted the
    >>entire spam treatise.

    >Not only that, Limewire is one of the best ways I know of to download malware. I
    >fix those a LOT.

    I tried it out and after a few searches, it was evident that it was
    not a good source of anything but crap.
    A lot of titles were not clearly marked as to what they were.
    richard, Jan 31, 2008
  17. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> The RIAA IMHO, sucks. They can not legally control copyright. The
    >>> publisher of the work has already paid the author/performer.

    >> You still don't get it. <sigh>

    > US Copyright laws say I can give you copyrighted material as a gift.

    Sure. You can give away *your own* copyrighted material. That has never
    been a question. You cannot give away the works of others.

    > What I can not do is publish and sell copies. Ergo, "copyright".

    Duh.

    <snip history lesson>

    > M$ to the rescue. We'll just make it more difficult for them to enjoy
    > their paid for music. Tag a license on it and limit the number of
    > times it can be played. If you want to burn it, that's gonna cost
    > more. So the legal authorized vendors are now in cahoots with M$ and
    > the RIAA and making YOU enjoy rightfully purchased music using the M$
    > DRM'ed WMA format.

    Microsoft is merely doing what the RIAA requests, in order to attempt to
    stop pirating. Rescue? No, evolvement.

    > Does the artist get a dime from all of this? I don't think so. And
    > that is precisely what the RIAA is bitching about. It's not about the
    > copyright laws, it's about making more money.

    It's always about the money. But it *is* still about the copyright laws.
    They have not changed.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2008
  18. Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:23:41 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> catchme <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    >>>defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    >>>that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.

    >>They got what's theirs :) hacked and email distributed. remember never
    >>use your username as your password :)
    >>
    >>PEERGUARDIAN blocks media defender, but not so much anymore; I think
    >>they are done or laying low.
    >>
    >>I'm downloading the movie:
    >>The.Adventures.Of.Baron.Munchausen.(1988). Do check it out if you have
    >>a chance, Uma Thurman plays the goddess Venus :} and getting a lot of
    >>bittorrentinc blocks.

    >What I don't like of torrents is, it takes forever to get even a small
    >file.
    >While you're downloading, 10 other people are uploading from you
    >causing your end to be slow.

    Uploading does affect your download.

    I use Utorrent and have set the max upload to be 35K. My download
    speeds are good at that setting.
    --

    We remove vista
    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/130626.asp
  19. Spuds Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:05:58 GMT, catchme <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> sandy58 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://limewire.en.softonic.com/
    >>> Music, software, movies et al. Great site. :)

    >> http://thepiratebay.org/
    >>
    >> Whatever you use, you should run PeerGuardian
    >> http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/ it's better than nothing.

    >still looking for piratebay's upcoming 'securep2p', but there are
    >certain pages from that swedish org. that are locked out (an ambigous
    >and slightly ominous-looking "forbidden" message appears) from canada.
    >i also wish him well on his intent to sue and criminally charge media
    >defender for their illegal and destructive tactics (and these guys claim
    >that they have the law on their side?) aimed at shutting down his site.

    Things at Pirate Bay may be a little dicey of late. Got this news item today:
    http://www.itworld.com/Man/2681/pirate-bay-charged-080131/
    Spuds, Feb 1, 2008
  20. Guest

    , Feb 1, 2008